Playbook (for PRD)

TrickyUK

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Playbook (for PRD)

The initial iOS release still feels slightly unfinished. It feels clunky and can take some time to navigate. Not really intuitive and definitely not ready to be a revolution in how you game at the table.

Choosing Pathfinder only means you have comparable products and this is nowhere near the best. Hero Lab still remains the top dog (not perfect, but so much better). You also have a couple of online resources for the PRD and these are more user-friendly.

Finally, the cost just doesn't seem competitive. You need to pay £15.98 for just the Core Rulebook content. I would have wanted a lot more for free at the beginning to capture my interest. I have already invested in Hero Lab (have all content). Would buy again if there were something better here, but there isn't. Trapdoor should recognise the competition and develop a clear strategy for challenging.

I can't help but feel that they have jumped the gun and unfortunately this will destroy the interest in what could have been a promising alternative to existing Pathfinder e-tools.

Last edited:

SharnDM

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Playbook (for PRD)

It's free, has a decent character generator for free, and it has loads of potential. The library could end up being an awesome place for the novice and professional alike to publish their content for others to purchase cheaply. I'm looking forward to where this product goes, especially the forge!

1 out of 5 rating for Playbook (for PRD)

It's telling when there aren't even enough reviews of an app for iTunes to give it a rating.

I downloaded Playbook, which took a while to find given the number of other apps with that name. Unfortunate branding.

It was slow. Even after seven months and change, the "Forge" feature was *still* forthcoming. The PRD/ character creator *only* included the Core Rulebook.
The book reader feature was painfully slow between pages. There is a "bookmark" tool that allows you to mark pages. But I saw no way of quickly moving to bookmarks, making it useless. There is a table of contents, but only for each chapter. A few have lists of contents (classes) so you can click classes and then click "rogue" and go right to that class (after 10-30 seconds of load screens). But the combat section will still require flipping. And with no search function, you can't skim to "grappling" for example or browse for keywords. So the book function is subpar compared to even a mediocre PDF reader.
There is a linking feature that connects references to linked sections. But this is poorly implemented. For example, the "rogue talents" link in the rogue table it moved me to the shadowdancer section.

Every time I tried to download the PRD monster book, it failed. So I can't even comment on the handling of monsters.

With zero splatbook support this app is of zero use to Pathfinder players.
Terrible experience overall and the impression of very little progress in the past six-seven months since it went live.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases