Forgotten Realms Faction Benefits

magiroth

Villager
Hello, I am a currently running Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and have found the lack of descriptions for the various factions that the module encourages you to use frustrating. I was hoping that there would be concrete benefits when a PC ‘joins up’. I have attempted to create my own, and am looking for suggestions on more.

Joining up grants PC’s access to Tier 1. Players move up the tiers based entirely on the GM’s whim. I would imagine most PC’s would be in Tier 2 by the end of the first book, and would gain tier 3 by halfway through the Rise of Tiamat.

Tier 1 - Membership, access to communication and knowledge networks.
Tier 2 - Access to caches, safe houses.
Tier 3 - Granted title, ability to request temporary assistance, possible access to magical travel.

Temporary assistance would normally for be for a single mission or encounter. Only in extreme cases would assistance stick around for longer, or travel with the party.

Harpers - greater access to information, and possess more caches and safe houses then others. 1d4+1 bards and sorcerers available for assistance in any city.
Tier 3 Title: Harper

Lords’ Alliance - Better pay, free travel (mounts, or carts), discount at select merchants. Membership papers grant legal status in cities (i.e. deputized, respect of Town Watch, etc.). 2d4 Guards +1 contracted (and not necessarily brave) wizard available for assistance in any member city.
Tier 3 title: Troubleshooter

Order of the Gauntlet - Discount on clerical spells/healing, shelter and supplies available at allied temples/monasteries. 1d4 clerics +1 (extremely motivated) paladin available for assistance in any city or relevant temple.
Tier 3 title: Crusader

Zhentarim - Low pay (if any), safe houses often include fences who can sell stolen goods. 3d4 mercenaries and rogues available (who all expect hazard pay, or the promise of loot) in most cities.
Tier 3 title: Captain

Emerald Enclave - Faster travel in wilderness/forests due to knowledge of hidden paths. Allied creatures will cover tracks, delay pursuers. Safe houses are often exotic: tree-houses, bear dens, gryphon eyries.
Tier 3 title: Tracker

A typical Harper cache
(Often protected by magical traps)
2 mundane melee weapons
2 mundane ranged weapons
2 pieces of light armour
40 pieces of ammunition
1 shield
a barrel of water
a bottle of wine (cheap vintage)
a crate of hard tack
4 potions of healing
A level 2 spell scroll

A typical Lords’ Alliance cache
(Often guarded by Alliance agents)
4 mundane melee weapons
2 mundane ranged weapons
80 pieces of ammunition
2 pieces of medium armour
2 piece of heavy armour
2 shields
a barrel of water
a bottle of wine (good vintage)
a crate of hard tack (non-maggoty)
4 potions of healing
A level 3 spell scroll

A typical Order of the Gauntlet cache
(Often protected by glyphs of warding)
3 mundane melee weapons (one silvered)
1 pieces of medium armour
1 piece of heavy armour
1 shields
a barrel of water
a crate of travelling rations
2 potions of healing
2 potions of greater healing
2 bottles of holy water
1 holy symbol
A level 1 spell scroll (defensive)

A typical Zhentarim cache
(Often protected by mundane traps)
4 mundane melee weapons
2 mundane ranged weapons
80 pieces of ammunition
2 sets of medium armour
2 sets of heavy armour
2 shields
a barrel of water
a bottle of wine (good vintage)
a crate of military rations
4 potions of healing
A level 1 spell scroll (offensive)

A typical Emerald Enclave cache
(Often hidden in den or nest of natural, but dangerous creature)
2 mundane melee weapons (nonmetallic)
2 mundane ranged weapons (nonmetallic)
2 pieces of natural light armour (nonmetallic)
40 pieces of ammunition (Flint-tipped)
1 shield (nonmetallic)
a barrel of water
a clay bottle of wine (unlabelled, but high quality)
a clay bottle of mead (unlabelled, but high quality)
a crate of dried nuts and fruit
6 natural salves of healing (Equivalent to potion of healing, but slower acting)
A level 2 spell scroll

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
It sounds like you're doing HotDQ as part of the Adventurer's League. Lack of concrete distinctions between the factions, and a vagueness on the details of various faction ranks has been one of the weak points of the AL from the beginning.

The current benefits for being a member of a faction are spelled out in the Tyranny of Dragons Player's Guide document, on page 19. Officially, that's what's available to players in AL games.

In a home game, these look great. I'd also use the "Mentor" benefit described in the ToDPG as a method to introduce an NPC as a source of information/leads. Mentors also make excellent motivators when they get killed, IME.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Thanks as well, didnt know that content was in there. This is what I was looking for for my players for HotDQ as well.

Does anyone know if the rewards for factions are expanded upon in Rise of Tiamat?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Zhentarim also get a free black cape, all the black spikey armor you can carry, and a grudge against the do-gooders who stand in your way of world domination.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Does anyone know if the rewards for factions are expanded upon in Rise of Tiamat?
No, although the factions get a bit of a population boost. The PCs are dealing with higher-ranking members of their faction as they rise in level. There are cameos of NPCs from previous seasons of D&D Encounters; it's interesting to see which factions they fall into.

Remove ads