Cry me a river 3.5E

Simulacrum

First Post
Man that stupid ranting about 3.5e gets hela lots on my nerves

Yes it will hurt to dish out lots of money for the new books and see some older books turn out to be pretty useless.
But what the hell? Everyone decides on his own, it's not like you buy some sort of computer game that can be simply patched up to the next version right? On the other hand most people buy Quake 3 even when the already have Q1 and Q2 and are going to buy Quake4 too!, thats life I guess.

I see it that way, 3e just wasnt ripe when it came out. I think they feared that it would find no acceptance when they would have put out a version that would have gone too far from what we they thought we expected. Seriously, they made a big mistake with that, because 3e was halfassed. Remember back then in the days when 3e came out? All people where screaming loud: "I wont go 3e its not balanced, its halfassed, and this and that got the shaft, and what not"
now they are going to give it another try to make it how it should have been in the first place, now all the rpg dorks all line up and scream: "You are ruining the game, dont change this and that because it gets shafted this way even when everybody and their borther says its broken to the core."
Now that is a lot of crap, and all I an say is -> stick to 3e while the people who want a more balanced and progressive game can enjoy and play 3.5e. Just as simple as this.

I will change to the new system and buy the new books because:

A) I'm DMing for 13 years and find many of the rules broken and incoherent. f.e. Haste is not a spell its a gamemechanical thing= broken. Core classes really need fixes.
Every skill should be countered by the same skill (tumble etc)

B) I want all the rules in the book, and not over 100 different errated versions. I want to have quality statblocks and clear rule descriptions, I hate to make up all that stuff ingame because it destroys the flow of our sessions.

C) I hated the way magic weapons dominated the game. It ROCKS to know that this is all over now.

D) I knew from the begining that 3e needed time to evolve and progress. C'mon dont tell me you havent joked about that a month before you even bought the books!
Now where is the big surprise? I'm glad to see the game to progress and renew itself. This will make it last much longer.
And I'm happy they did it now than later. Only a few books have been published so far, that makes the hurting not SO bad.

Lets face it, we are all going to get over it in a few months. We will apreciate it, we will be happy with it. And we will all know it still wont be perfect but a step closer to it.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
My only concern is it took a couple of years to get some of my players to buy ph's. Oy- it starts all over again.

But, I will tell you/wotc what- If they add some fricken high level combat feats into the book, then I will buy ph's for my whole group.

The only other revision I would like to see is one +2/+2 skill feat instead of variations of that idea.

Other then that- I like the changes I have seen. I will wait and see all the changes before I decide if they are good or not.

SD

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think we're going to see a really unique pheonomenon: we're going to see less of a 3.0 vs. 3.5 war (i.e. a camp of folks firmly playing purely one or the other), and instead we'll see a continuum -- some folks sticking pretty religiously to 3.0, some adopting just a few changes, some adopting many but not all, and some adopting all (or, even weirder, some folks in the future joining the D&D hobby only knowing 3.5). Suddenly, "the d20 system" won't be a universal language, it will be a couple of closely related languages.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
EricNoah said:
Suddenly, "the d20 system" won't be a universal language, it will be a couple of closely related languages.

I am not sure that will be too different then the way it is now. Everytime a discussion happens on almost any topic (but particularly haste, harm, hit points, armor) people always chime in with their thoughts and particularly their house rules on the matter.

It seems there is already a rather fragmented group of d20 players, but this may certainly add to the numbers.

SD

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases