Help me Price, and Debug this Item

Priest

First Post
The Cloak of Indistinction

This Cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an ordinary cloak of the same color. However when worn with the hood drawn up the cloak causes the wearers features, size, race or even the wearers general appearance to be seen as insignificant, and indistinct to those who view the wearer.

In addition a character who is simply wearing the cloak of Indistinction either with the hood up or down can choose to eliminate, distort, or limit the memory of a conversation or event a subject actually experienced with the character within the last day. The effects of the cloak cannot negate spells such as True Seeing, scrying , or other similar spells and effects. Friends and allies still view the wearer as they normally would and are unaffected by the secondary use of the cloak.

Caster Level: 5th Prerequisites: Create Wondrous Item, Change Self, Modify Memory Market Price: 5,625 Gp '*

* PRICE IS A GUESS BASED OFF OF THE FOLLOWING

Hat of Disguise, Cloak of Elvenkind, Dust of Disappearance, and a few minor items not remembered

Help me price this, and if you have an idea as to how to make it better let me know I want lengthy crits on this item

MarauderX

Explorer
How about an intellegence check for people having a conversation with the wearer to remember? Or how about a serious penalty to a spot check, like -20?

The only thing I am not sure about is the ability to distort another's recollection of a conversation. It would give a character too much influence, and becomes a 'Jedi' cloak, where a wave of the hand makes the influenced guard think he talked to his boss and leaves his post.

I would have the cloak only eliminate or limit the amount of memory that the target has, and perhaps only have the ability to do it once per day.

I think the price is right on, or at least in the range of other similiar wonderous items.

Drawmack

First Post
Priest said:
In addition a character who is simply wearing the cloak of Indistinction either with the hood up or down can choose to eliminate, distort, or limit the memory of a conversation or event a subject actually experienced with the character within the last day.
This could be a bit over the top. I can see this easily being misused. The character has just gained an air tight aliby. Just be with the same person before and after the event then have them not remember you leaving. I just thing that having an ability like this could be dangerous. Also you're not real descriptive. Does the memory alteration have to happen within 24 hours and then last forever, or is the memory only altered until it is 24 hours past the event. If the effect is permanent that would mean the duration is probably instantaneous and therefor cannot be dispelled.

The effects of the cloak cannot negate spells such as True Seeing, scrying , or other similar spells and effects. Friends and allies still view the wearer as they normally would and are unaffected by the secondary use of the cloak.
I'm taking it the limits on negation come from the spell description. True Seeing and Scrying are not affected. Can someones memory be altered posthumously? For example if I killed someone while wearing the cloak could I make it so that the spells couldn't tell who I was or thought I was someone else. I have not directly affected the spell, but rather the spell's target.
Modify Memory
Is this a core spell, if not where can I get a copy of it so I can look it over. If it is a core spell I'm surprised I haven't seen it used before.

Reb

First Post
Errata, fixing the mentioned mistakes

Modify Memory Is a core spell from the PHB bottom left of pg. 230

Errata

Fix to description

This cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an ordinary cloak of the same color. However when worn with the cloaks hood drawn up the cloak causes the wearers features, hieght, wieght, race or general appearance to be insignificant and indistinct to those who view the wearer causing the character to be overlooked by all but the most scrutinous of searchs. Those who attemt to make a search or spot check suffer a -10 to notice the character when he is wearing the cloak.

In addition a character who is simply wearing the cloak of Indistinction either with the hood up or down can choose to eliminate, or limit the memory of a conversation or event a living subject(s) actually experienced with the character within one hour of the actual experience, this ability can be used three times per day.

The effects of the cloak cannot negate spells such as True Seeing, scrying , or other similar spells and effects. Friends and allies still view the wearer as they normally would and are unaffected by the secondary use of the cloak.
Caster Level: 5th Prerequisites: Create Wondrous Item, Change Self, Modify Memory Market Price: 5,625 Gp

Erata written by Reb, in connection with Priest who are the co-writers of the above mumbo jumbo

:p

Last edited:

I typically use the magic item pricing sheet in T&B, pg 74 whenever possible. There are times where it doesnt work. Considering how useful this item is and what uses a creative player could put it to, it's a fairly potent item.

Modify Memory (Brd 4) is the spell it's based off of and basically what it does so I'd base the price off this spell as well.

Any spell, use activated (Spell lvl x caster lvl x 2000gp)

Or for a bard they get access to lvl 4 spells at 10th.

4x10x2000gp=80,000gp for a permanent item that does what modify memory does.

Add in the added ability of change self and you add another power to the item. Depending on how you decided to do it, the cost could be huge. It could be priced as a 2nd power dissimilar to the 1st, or it could be priced as a 2nd similar power.

If priced as a 2nd similar power you have:

Any spell, use activated (Spell lvl x caster lvl x 2000gp)

1x1x2000=2000gp to add change self, but since it's a 2nd similar power you only pay 75% of the base cost or 1500gp.

So total price is 81500gp.

If the DM decided to do it the other way it's signifcantly cheaper, where change self is the 1st effect added with modify memory added 2nd as a similar power. Total cost = 62,000gp

Either are valid ways to do it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases