Fangs, Blood, and Terror!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Fangs, Blood, and Terror!

Such are the things that we commonly think of when we think of vampires. How do vampires change in power through their centuries of existence? Vampires are traditionally one of the most powerful, and terrifying creatures in both mythology and in the D&D game. Seeing that vampires are immortal, how do you distinguish a vampire's power through the centuries other than perhaps increased level? Do you increase the vampire's natural abilities in some way? The template for vampires in the Monster Manual is, well, it leaves a lot to be desired.:) It is functional in my view, but only barely so for standard kinds of weak vampires.

What do you think?

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The Ravenloft 3e Core Rulebook from Sword & Sorcery has a section on vampires you might want to check out. It includes a table of vampire aging modifiers that increase a vampire's powers and abilities depending on how many centuries they have been undead.

Edit:

There's a free preview of part of the vampire section available from Sword & Sorcery here:

http://www.swordsorcery.com/swordsorcery/Downloads/RavenloftVampires.pdf

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Ah, vampires! A subject near and dear to my heart. I wrote an entertainingly bad vampire novel in my youth and have included variations on the vampire motif in dozens of campaigns and adventures since.

Vampires on Barsoom are BAD news. They are just about the worst thing you can come across. My party has encountered two, and the first nearly killed the entire group in their first toe-to-toe, and the second, well... that's a long story.

On Barsoom, a vampire is a person who has to be murdered and then returned to life through sorcery. The rituals involved are long and unpleasant, and serve to bind the vampire's soul to the material body (otherwise the soul passes away through the Shadow Realm at death). The vampire returns to life (or unlife, if you prefer) under the control of the spellcaster who created them. If you're not too squeamish you can create an entire army of these horrible creatures. The problem is upkeep.

For a Barsimian vampire suffers from a terrible hunger, and not the usual vampire hunger. On Barsoom, the magic that powers a vampire can only be fed by the destruction of souls -- in a very particular manner. A vampire must tear out the heart of a living person and devour it before that person's soul has departed their body. This gets very messy, and for someone who was not willingly transformed, utterly horrifying. For vampires are not necessarily evil.

Vampires can resist the hunger, if they like, but inevitably they will be driven mad by their need for souls and in insensible rage destroy everything around them. When the Demon Goddess went mad in Nahan in 1635, she destroyed not only an entire province, but the two legions that were sent up to investigate the disaster. All because she was trying to be good.

Vampires, however, have certain great advantages on Barsoom. They never need to sleep, nor do they have a Constitution score. Since on Barsoom, sleep erases spells from memory, and casting spells can cost Constitution damage, two huge barriers to massive magic use disappear when you join the ranks of the undead. Vampire spellcasters are very bad news.

Barsimian vampires also have none of the disadvantages one most often associates with the breed. They ignore sunlight, are indifferent to holy water, don't require graves to sleep in or any of that nonsense. They're impossible to kill -- almost literally. So long as a vampire retains its connection to the Shadow Realm, no method of destruction will be final. Only recently have rituals been found that allow that connection to be severed.

This is what happened to the Demon Goddess at the end of last season -- a rival Shadow god discovered how to do just that, severed her connection (thus making her just an incredibly powerful insane sorcereress) and then smacked her with the biggest, baddest energy drain you've ever seen. The former vampire Demon Goddess, 40th level undead intermediate deity, is now a 3rd-level aristocrat. It was a bit of shock for the poor girl.

Um, what was the question? Sorry, I started rambling there.

Oh yes, vampires and aging and so on. Here's what I did:

In addition to levels, vampires are able to increase one of their ability scores by one for every 20 years they've been a vampire. This gave the Demon Goddess, who'd been turned into a vampire in 1409 (current date 1657) a total of 12 points she could spread around her abilities, in addition to the ones she gained for being 40th level (and the ones the vampire template added to her initially).

My thinking is that if a vampire just lies in the ground doing nothing, they should get stronger, sure, but they shouldn't learn anything. So ability score increases for age seemed the best way to model that. 1 point per twenty years fit with the timeframe of Barsoom well enough.

For example, another vampire my party ran across was Mara, a child who'd been turned more than two thousand years ago and kept in a vault every since. Nothing like a six-year-old with a 45 strength! And yet, she dates back to the beginnings of history on Barsoom, and so it makes sense that she should be of unearthly strength. The Demon Goddess, on the other hand, wasn't as physically powerful but with all her levels and whatnot (not to mention her vile and twisted imagination -- I love her) she was even more dangerous.

In any event, the changes I have made to the standard vampire of D&D have made for some very memorable gaming sessions and looks of real terror on my players' faces.

Ace

Adventurer
Rules wise I use the Ravenloft Noseferatu style Vampire, Instead of level drain they drain Con points at the rate of 1d4 per attack

Socially Vampires serve a very interesting roll in my game, Unlike most Undead they have something that passes for free will.

Imagine of you will being bound with a demon that is always hungry. This demon, a beastial creature, fights you for control of the body. You (your soul) is always there but you are not running the show a lot fo the time

The more the human is in control, the more the vampire can pass for human

This is important because Vampires are widely feared (they spread disease with their bite and kill people as well) and will provoke a serious response if they are detected.

As the magic level increases the vampires become more vulnerable.

Typically if a vampire bite is thought to have occured a sniffer (cleric specilizing in evil detection) is called in. If the evidence suggests a vampire than a hunt is called and all the stops are pulled out. This usually results in a destroyed vampire

Still if the vampire is carefull, survival is possible-- animal blood and the poor are possible food sources. Also smart vampires don't reproduce willy-nilly. Its nice to have a nest of buddies but it also attracts attention

As for power the older the vampire, the more dangerous they are, they can gain levels (slowly) and while they don't learn like humans they can learn. They also gain powers with experience.

There are a lots of vampire fighters and a some wizards as well. There are no clerics or druids though, the spells wouldn't be renewed

IMC there is a certain romantic ambivilance about Vampires, they are very human in many ways and not always depraved and evil.

The charming vampire of modern fiction is very much a part of the game world

Also Vampires have fought with the army of man on occasion, especially during the Unhallowed War.

Many vampires fought against the armies of the living dead,some to preserve thier food source others to beacause they still were human enough to care.

So far the PC's haven't run into any vampires in D&D, mainly because we play Buffy and yet another vampire would cause yawns.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Way back when, I downloaded a 2e net supplement from Blue Troll called "the Vampiricon" by Ron Poirier (who had wwritten a couple of articles for Dragon). It was basically a conversion of WoD Vampires for D&D, and included rules for increasing the number of powers and such for Vampires. I've semi-converted it for 3e, but its a tall order to do the whole thing.

I've thought of creating Prestige Classes for Vamps: Basically, a "Strong Vamp" PrC, a "Quick Vamp" PrC, and a "Spellcaster Vamp" PrC. As the Vampire advances in the class, they'd gain more abilities and skills, including some from the Vampiricon... They'd probably gain them in the form of "Vampire Feats" and the base Vampire template would be made weaker (more like the Vamp Spawn creature) to compensate (presuming that almost all Vamps would take levels of the PrC).

I have no interest in the vampire template from the MM -- I've created my own vampire races for a homebrew (that I never ran, natch -- but I'll borrow these again sometime, never fear!) that are based somewhat on the Warhammer vampires as basic archetypes. Here's the rules, cut and paste from the PDF document I was making for that setting. Ignore the setting fluff, references to a custom magic system where casting spells causes subdual damage and references to the diplomat core class!

Vampires: Unlike the other races, vampires are not split by Realm, as all of them are native to the Night Realm, only a few live in the Twilight Realm and none at all are native to the Day or
Celestial Realms. However, there are three distinct Bloodlines of vampires, each with its own attributes and appearance. All, however, represent aspects of their dark and cruel creator,
Shenesesh. Vampires are attended to by a variety of outsiders that they are able to summon, including demons, undead and more. Their goal is to turn all of creation into something like the
nightmarish Night Realm, only even more firmly under their control. Only then, they believe, will they be able to summon Shenesesh back into the world and usher in a “golden age” of vampires, without the meddling of any other god or his children. Vampires are accomplished necromancers and demonologists, especially the nosferatu clan, but all of them are also frighteningly effective in combat – strong as stone and devilishly quick. Vampires, due to their power relative to other races, are not suitable PC races. All vampires share some common traits:
  • Medium sized
  • Base speed 40’
  • Darkvision 60’
  • Bite attack with 1d8 damage.
  • +4 racial bonus to initiative
  • Extra half-action per round – vampires are constantly acting as if under the influence of a haste spell.
  • Light sensitivity – vampires receive a -2 to attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks while operating in daylight. This increases to –4 when operating under the extremely bright conditions of the Day or Celestial Realms (or when under the influence of a Light spell) when clouds or shadows are not present.
  • Darkness – however, all vampires can generate their own darkness at need, turning the brightest day into dark night. This special ability acts like the darkness spell in effect and in subdual damage to the vampire who casts it.
  • All vampires advance as characters, by class, but they also come with a hit dice of 5d8 before they take their first level.
  • +6 natural armor bonus to Armor Class.
  • Blasphemous presence – vampires generate an aura an unholy “wrongness” about them. Even vermin, such as rats and insects leave the area, and upon entering proximity to a vampire, a sense of forboding comes upon all who approach. All must make a Will save when entering the influence of a vampire’s
    blasphemous presence. Failing the will save means the character becomes panicked. He suffers a -2 to all further saving throws, and a –2 to his attack rolls against the vampire himself. A successful will save negates the panic effect, but the –2 to saving throws and attack rolls remains.
  • Vampiric tendencies – a victim that has been rendered helpless may be the target of a vampire’s blood-sucking. Following a bite to the jugular vein, a vampire drinks the victims blood, causing 3d8 hit point damage and d6 temporary
    constitution damage per round. To the vampire, however, this restores 3d8 hit points, or if already at a maximum, the extra hit points become temporary hit points. The maximum temporary hit points a vampire can have is 1½ x his normal maximum.
Vampire Bloodlines
Nosferatu: The nosferatu are a bloodline that specializes in the foulest necromancy and the summoning of demons. Few vampires don’t take some levels of alt.wizard with a specialty in these blasphemous arts, but the nosferatu are the best at it. They are an extremely ugly form of being; their bodies look like dried husks over skeletons, with brownish or graying, mummy-like skin. Their eyes are milky-white and sunken, like those
of the dead, and they have little to no hair. Their fangs are very close together in the front of their mouth, which causes them to speak in a hoarse, whispered lisp. In addition to the common vampire traits, nosferatu vampires have the following additional traits:
  • +4 Strength, +6 Intelligence –4 Charisma
  • Has subdual damage resistance 10 in regards to casting spells only
  • Automatic languages: Infernal, Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic
  • Favored class: alt.wizard
  • ECL: +8
Chernabog: The chernabog clan of vampires is even more monstrous in appearancethan the nosferatu – they not only share the wrinkled and husk-like skin, but add to that a
feral bestiality that betrays their role as the commanders and champions of the demons and other soldiers in their blasphemous hosts. They are powerfully built and muscular,
their legs have developed a digitigrade posture, they have horn-like growths all over their body, and their entire mouth has developed into a powerful maw. They also have grown
monstrous claws on their fingers, each a foot long or more and razor sharp. In addition to the common vampire traits, chernabog vampires have the following additional traits:
  • +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -4 Charisma
  • Additional +3 natural armor bonus to armor class
  • Additional 2d8 damage with claw attacks
  • Automatic languages: Infernal, Abyssal, Common
  • Favored class: Barbarian
  • ECL: +10
Dyaus: The Dyaus clan of vampires are the leaders of the vampires, and the infiltrators amongst humans and others. Unlike the other vampire clans, dyaus are beautiful in the extreme, usually appearing as pale humans or elves with raven-black hair and brilliant blue eyes. In their natural form, their canines are extremely elongated, and their skin appears almost alabaster or blue it is so bloodless. However, the Dyaus are adept at
hiding their vampire traits. They are also highly skilled and flexible, more able to assume various roles within vampire society. They are good at combat, although not as
nightmarishly frightening as the chernabog, and they can make excellent spellcasters, if not as proficient as the nosferatu. Where they really excel is in leading.
  • +6 Strength, +2 Intelligence, +6 Charisma
  • Leadership feat for free
  • +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks
  • +10 racial bonus on Disguise skill to hide vampire traits only
  • Favored class: Diplomat
  • ECL: +10

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
How do vampires change in power through their centuries of existence?...The template for vampires in the Monster Manual is, well, it leaves a lot to be desired. :)
For a long time I've felt that the Vampire template was the wrong mechanic to use; we need a Vampire class. A quick stab I took at such a class (from Am I the only one who doesn't like the D&D Vampire?):

Hit Die: d12
Attack Bonus: as Wizard (1/2 level)
Good Save: Will
Skill Points: 8/level
Skill List: Bluff, Craft, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot.

So far, it looks like a Rogue with twice the normal hit points, a weaker attack bonus, and a limited skill list (but lots of skill points).

If we look at the powers of a 4th-level Vampire Spawn, we should be able to find a subset for a 1st- through 3rd-level Vampire Spawn.

1st Level
Undead
Blood Drain
Energy Drain
Fast Healing 1
DR 5/silver
Cold & Electricity Resistance 5

2nd Level
Spider Climb
+1 Natural Armor
Fast Healing 2
DR 10/silver
Cold & Electricity Resistance 10

3rd Level
Charm
+2 Natural Armor
Fast Healing 2

4th Level
Gaseous Form
+3 Natural Armor
+2 Turn Resistance

That still looks pretty powerful, even without the Ability bonuses and the Feats (Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus).

Ashy

First Post
whatisitgoodfor said:
IMO, vampires could benefit greatly from the Prestige Races detailed in Dragon #)$.

I'm assuming you ment Dragon 304? If so, much thanks for the plug, and honestly, I never thought about a vampire with a PrRace....now that I have though...

Brrrrrr......

;)

Remove ads