Help with this communication spell

Lordnightshade

First Post
Tell me what you think, this spell is based on the 1st level message spell and is ment for emergency communication between two people who are far apart... Does this seem balanced for a 3rd level spell?

Message Shell
Transmutation [Language-Dependant]
Level: Bard 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 1 mile +1 mile/level
Targets: One creature/level
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Casting this spell allows you to speak into the spell focus, a specially prepared* small conch shell cut so that it can be utilized as a horn (300gp value as it must be a masterwork). The message will be delivered to any one of a number of similarly prepared conch horns chosen by the caster. To initiate the connection the caster must give the conch horn a good blast. The person receiving the message will hear the sound of the conch horn from the shell they posses alerting them there is a message. Once that happens the connection is complete and the wizard can speak into his conch horn and the person receiving the message can reply until the spell wears out.

Magical silence, 1 inch of lead, or a wall of force blocks the spell. The message, however, does not have to travel in a straight line. It can circumvent barriers if there is an open path between you and the subject, and the paths entire length lies within the spell’s range. The creatures who receive the message can reply until the spells duration wears out.

*To prepare the horns for communication the caster must scribe a special rune into his horn and each horn he hands out to those he wishes to communicate with later. He can scribe a new rune with each caster level. This rune links the horns together, and can be used only once. To use the horn again the caster must re-scribe the rune.

gfunk

First Post
I think it is fairly well balanced. The only thing I would question is the fact that you can communicate with multiple people simultaneously and for a long period of time.

The fact that the conch shell makes a loud noise prior to the message is a good mitigating factor.

The main problem is to determine whether or not a "direct" path exists from the caster to the spell's subjects. I mean can the message keep going through a pinhole aperture for instance?

Lordnightshade

First Post
with Message you can communicate with multiple people and for much longer (10 minutes/level)

With this one you have to give each person you MAY want to communicate with a 300gp conch horn. That could add up quick if you wanna give one to each of yer followers and each party member.

Lordnightshade

First Post
Bump!!!!

The more I think about this spell the more I don't really like it that much.

I'm somewhat frusterated that there isn't really any good communications spells in D&D that I know of. There is nothing that allows short range (over several miles) communication between several different PCs.

Perhaps I am just missing something. Does anyone know of anything?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases