Additional casting of spells idea

StarDragon

First Post
I've been thinking about spellcasters in DnD, and not really liking the fire and forget system much, but not wanting to change it, I was playing around with an idea.

Basically, a spellcaster, say a wizard, memorizes his spells as normal. Then say he casts his only lightning bolt spell, and he desperately needs another. Well he could instead sacrifce hit points to gain additional castings. This would be the same for all casters, except those with innate spells, like the sorcerer. These would take subdual damage instead, representing their increased flexibility.

What do you think? I could have it be all use subdual damage instead, or all use hit point damage. There could also be an option for wizards to cast a spell that they have in their spellbook, but didn't memorize, but at the cost of temporary Intelligence damage. The damage levels would be as follows, similar to the psionic list:

0-level: 1 Subdual (regardless)
1st-level: 1 HP or Subdual, or 1 Ability damage
2nd-level: 3 HP or Subdual, or 2 Ability damage
3rd-level: 5 HP or Subdual, or 3 Ability damage
4th-level: 7 HP or Subdual, or 4 Ability damage
5th-level: 9 HP or Subdual, or 5 Ability damage
6th-level: 11 HP or Subdual, or 6 Ability damage
7th-level: 13 HP or Subdual, or 7 Ability damage
8th-level: 15 HP or Subdual, or 8 Ability damage
9th-level: 17 HP or Subdual, or 9 Ability damage

Saepiroth

First Post
you should probably make it a negative enhancement bonus to HP, so that uppity wizards don't go playing Sorcerer with a sack of healing potions.

and maybe increase the int damage.

Khaalis

Adventurer
A couple of notes here:

1) This is why scrolls and wands have the importance they do.

2) You could look at Converting "Rary's Mnemonic Enhacer" into a feat.

3) As for HP/Ability damage to cast more spells... Not a fan of that.
If you really want to do this you might want to loo at the following 2 PrC's:
Blood Mage (SM)
Blood Magus (TB)

(SM) = Spells & Magic
(TB) = Tome and Blood

4) Or look into some of the various Magical Sourcebooks and find a Spell Point system you like (Ex: AEG's "Magic").

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases