Horror on the Orient Express

trystero

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Horror on the Orient Express

I'm running this campaign from the Kickstarter backer PDFs, and while I wish I had the physical books in my hands, I have to say that I'm immensely pleased with the expanded and revamped version of the campaign. The original campaign was a great supplement in its own right, worthy to stand with _Masks of Nyarlathotep_ in the "stone-cold classics" section of my RPG library: the second edition preserves everything that was great about its predecessor, while updating the game system to 7th edition and adding in new optional scenarios, more connective material, more handouts to aid players in immersing themselves in the period and atmosphere. I'm thoroughly impressed.

The original campaign, written in the early 1990s, is one of the three truly ‘classic’ Call of Cthulhu campaigns - along with Masks of Nyarlathotep and Beyond The Mountains of Madness. The premise is essentially a murder mystery that takes the investigators on luxury train journey with multiple stops across Europe with weird plot twists along the way. It needs to be noted that this campaign is huge (with about 1000 pages of text in the box), and much of this is down to finely researched historical detail and a multitude of handouts that are given out as clues. The production standards, including editing, is of a very high quality and while I only own the pdf currently, the box set would be a major investment in gaming entertainment. I’m not that much of a fan of the new 7E Call of Cthulhu rules, but they aren’t especially obtrusive in supplements like this and, as a first major supplement would make an excellent intro into the new edition. In short: this is solid gold for gaming.

Diehard GameFAN

First Post

Overall, the updated and expanded version of Horror on the Orient Express is truly fantastic. If you missed out on the original back in the day for whatever reason (Age, lack of funds, didn’t play the game), you really need to pick this up to see just what an incredible job Chaosium has done on this boxed set.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer

We seem to be in a golden age for Cthulhoid RPG books and supplements!As someone who owns and has run the original release of Horror on the Orient Express, I have to say that this is both faithful to, and superior to, the original release. Chaosium has really outdone themselves with this; superb production values and mayraid handouts and add-ons serve to accentuate a deeper, more satisfying version of the classic campaign.Better oganization and more cohesiveness also serve to make this slighly less daunting to those reading this for the first time, and there's more connective tissue and entirely new scenarios to enliven the camapgin for those grizzled veterans (like me.)Price-wise, the SRP is a steep investment, but not entirely out-of-line with current rates. (Confession; While I normally try to support my FLGS/Brick and Mortar stores, I"ll confess that I did get this through Amazon for $73.. [Vs. the $125 SRP.])

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases