D&D 5E Wealth by Level

the Jester

Legend
One thing going on here, IMHO, is that 5e doesn't really "expect" much from your campaign. Putting expected wealth and the like in previous editions led to a tremendous sense of entitlement on the part of certain players, and without those "expectations" in the books, groups are far more likely to tailor their campaigns to their individual tastes.

Riley37

First Post
Depends on your setting and campaign. If you're fighting draconic cultists who are amassing wealth to fund a big bad project, then you might grab some of that wealth as you defeat cultists. If negative energy from the Shadowfell is leaking into a forest, causing woodland animals to rise as undead and attack nearby farmers, and you destroy those undead and close the leak, then you have the gratitude of the farmers, the Emerald Enclave and the Lords Alliance (dead farmers = no tax revenue). But those skeletal elk don't carry gold coins, nor weapons you can scavenge and sell. When you destroy a skeletelk, you don't even harvest edible meat!

If you want guidelines, you might look at fantasy literature, and assess the income-by-level of Beowulf, Odysseus, Legolas, Sparrowhawk, Conan, King Arthur, etc.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
That's actually not bad, although I'd sorta prefer to have something with a little finer granularity. Still, good starting point.

Take the range of gold for each tier and divvy it up to more granular chunks for each level (or smaller groups of levels) within that tier?

Personally, I like the notion that WBL doesn't grow as it did in previous editions for new characters. Even were a character to be introduced at a higher level, one presumes that they'd be adventuring less, if at all (else they would already be a PC), so they'd have less of a steady surplus of gold to enter into the economy (while the game's economics aren't true to medieval economics by any means, it is more realistic that Total Wealth in a population doesn't grow within a bullion-standard the way it does in a fiat-standard unless new bullion (like hoards of dragon treasure!) is introduced – it's actually a pretty decent concept of mercantile economics after a fashion!

aramis erak

Legend
mathemeatical average per creature...
CR 1-4 = 5.4 gp
CR 5-10 = 84.2 gp
CR11-16 = 946.8 gp
CR17+ = 6510 gp

Hoard cache values average
CR 1-4 = 196
CR 5-10 = 2226
CR 11-16 = 18900
CR 17+ = 322000

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Skeletelk!

5398124026_e2a61933b2_z.jpg

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I'm glad there is no wealth by level table.

It just leads to DMs feeling pressured to abide by the table. If I want my PCs to get a castle at level 3, then they get a castle at level 3! There is no item treadmill in 5e (thank god), so a wealth by level table is unnecessary and imo undesirable. Let the DMs decide! Give whatever wealth seems appropriate for your setting and the adventure at hand.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I also like that there's no expected wealth. I can finally play or DM the "Road to El Dorado" style campaign where the PCs gamble away or frivolously spend everything they earn and have to adventure to cover their living expenses.

Riley37

First Post
If you're looking for a tabletop game which simulates, as closely as possible, an MMO, then hire cheap labor overseas, have them grind D&D 5E characters for gold, and pay real-world money for that D&D gold.

Remove ads