SHARK bait-a question for SHARK

Fenris

Adventurer
Hail Mighty Predator of the Deep. I ran across a statement and immediately thought of you.

"Ancient Greek Army Ration-
Philon of Byzantium in 150 BC developed a ration pill for his soldiers. This pill was the size of an olive and consisted of: sesame seeds, honey, opium, poppy, and squill (a root plant). These pills provided protein (sesame), hydrocarbons (honey), alleviated pain from hunger and discomfort (opium) and a general tonic (squill). Most likely white squill acts as an expectorant, diuretic and cough remedy (large doses of squill cause severe vomiting). Active soldiers were given two pills daily, one at 8 am and one at 4 pm."

So, I thought of a Valorean Legionaire when I read that. But have you ever come across any historical reference to it? My source does not cite a historical reference. I thought you would be a good resource to ask. And open question to all: a D&D equivalent?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
A sort of ancient power bar, eh? :)

Hadn't heard about those myself. I'll be watching this thread in anticipation of anyone who can cite some source of reference. Sounds cool! :)

mmadsen

First Post
But have you ever come across any historical reference to it? My source does not cite a historical reference. I thought you would be a good resource to ask.
I didn't find a reference to that mix, but I did find an interesting article on food in antiquity, including what Greek and Roman soldiers ate:

http://teaching.ucdavis.edu/nut20/0041.htm
Information on ancient Roman military diet also may be gleaned from excavations in the colonized lands. Pollen, plant debris, and animal bones found at Roman garrison/fortifications in Scotland, dated to the 2nd Century C.E., revealed that these Roman soldiers ate barley, bilberry, blackberry, wild celery, coriander, fig, hazel nut, opium poppy, raspberry, strawberry, wheat, as well as meat from cattle, chickens, red deer, sheep, and marine mollusks (Macdonald and Park, 1906; Macdonald and Curle, 1928-1929; Knights et al., 1983).

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, indeed! In truth my friend, I haven't heard of that particular recipe *specifically*, however, I do know that the Greeks, for example, where very highly advanced, and it has been said by experts, scholars, and philosophers that it was only an accident that the Greeks did not invent the television! The Greeks took learning, and knowledge very seriously, and were in fact quite eager to embrace wisdom and knowledge in any way they could. Thus, such a herbal concoction doesn't surpirse me in the least my friend.

The Romans learned from the Greeks, and even expanded upon that base of knowledge. The Romans developed the most thorough, sophisticated medical system until the 19th century. Indeed, the Romans were famous for developing surgeons of good skill, extensive pharmeceutecals, medicines, herbs and so on. The Roman soldiers had a much lower death rate because of the great medical establishment that the Romans developed. The Romans really were amazing.

Thus, I find it highly likely. I have read works that discuss things similar to it in a general nature. They talk about the Romans and the Greeks abilities with medicines and herbs, so it certainly fits their capabilities. Our ancient forefathers in the Greek and Roman traditions, among others, were quite simply far more advanced and skilled than the typical "modern" attitude has given them credit. The ancient peoples really weren't that far removed from us at all, even if they did not develop jet aircraft, automobiles, or the computer for example.:)

Good stuff!

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases