D&D 5E Halflings Of The Corn

lutecius

Explorer
[MENTION=35][MENTION=60332]lutecius[/MENTION]
As D&D aged, halflings and gnomes grew mentally and socially. Halflings kept the ordinary and practical parts of hobbits but made them more urban and curious. Not all gnomes are tinker levels of oddness but gnomes are more extraordinary than halflongs.

As adventurous as a halving gets, they are still pretty plain. They don't invent new weapons they don't create new spells. Daggers and rocks and plain leathers or cloth. They favor items, attire, and skills that they might actually use. A halfling would remember the pots and forks on adventures. They don't resort to illusions, badgers, and clockworks in their pranks.

But you can't really draw that. "Short plain humanoid who sometimes does a cartwheel and little tumble"
So we're back to The-Mirrorball-Man's observation: the halfling is stuck somewhere between the hobbit, kender and gnome, with watered-down traits from all three... Traditional but not as conventional as a regular hobbit, adventurous and outgoing but not as rash as a kender, curious but not as inquisitive or inventive as a gnome.

Halflings might be small Elves and Gnomes might be small Dwarves
I think in recent editions halflings are more like small humans and gnomes like small elves. Gnomes are magicky, naturey, pointy-eared halflings in the same way as elves are magicky, naturey, pointy-eared humans.

I like my halflings looking like eternal 8-12 year olds with slightly bigger ears and fingers.
Now THAT would make lusting over Lidda creepy :D

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
lutecius said:
I think in recent editions halflings are more like small humans and gnomes like small elves. Gnomes are magicky, naturey, pointy-eared halflings in the same way as elves are magicky, naturey, pointy-eared humans.
Yeah, even more reason to hate Gnomes. I get what WotC went with Gnomes as Fey (Sylvan?) creatures (forest gnomes, really?), but... to heck with Gnomes. Get 'em outta heah...

... or feed them to the Gnolls.

originally Posted by Minigiant: I like my halflings looking like eternal 8-12 year olds with slightly bigger ears and fingers.

Now THAT would make lusting over Lidda creepy :D
No creepier than Touhou lolis... :3

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases