D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Rabbage

First Post
After looking over the door and taking a quick look around both the doors, Meriene speaks true. "There appears to be plenty of traffic between both orcs and goblins in this area, but they were not the cause of whatever beast left these markings. They have been here within the past couple of hours however, make ready your weapons in case they are closer than we would like." noting the larger scratch marks in the door frame. "Can you tell anything about that door covered in runes? Keep in mind you each have a blessing of Torm for the next minute should you need extra insight or clarity. Use it before it expires."

Meriene pulls out a white shield, paint scraped and scratched off showing much use, and straps it to her arm. Then with sword in hand stands guard near the entrance to the tunnel. "I can lead the way if need be, my eyes pierce this darkness just as well as any torch."

[Sblock=OOC]
Meriene makes a perception check to examine the area around her.
[/Sblock]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Guran looks carefully. [Wisdom (Perception) check; combining his usual +5 with the +4 from the Guidance cantrip for an overall +9]

[roll0]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
In response to Meriene's question Guran replies, "It says 'Stonefast, Glidden's Bane.' We have found the place we were seeking, all right."

He turns away from the door to pass through the open (smashed) door with the rest of the party.

Forged Fury

First Post
Glidden... Now where had Fulgrim heard that name before? Searching his mind, he quickly found the answer. His bass voice tolled out, "Yes, Glidden. One of the founder's of Stonefast. I recall little else about him at the moment. Perhaps if I had time to consult a tome of knowledge..."

Squaring his shoulders, Fulgrim finished, "No matter now. There appears to be no magic on or about the entrance or doors. Shall we continue?"

[sblock=Perception Check]Perception Test [WIS +1] (1d20+1=13)[/sblock]

You enter a square room, approximately ten feet to a side. It's dark in here; if it weren't for Guran's torch, it would be pitch black. Guran and Fulgrim can see reasonably well, and Meriene's eyesight isn't bad in the dark, but Eldon and Colden struggle to see beyond the flickering torchlight. The room and the hallway beyond the open southern door are quiet.

The ceiling looks to be some ten feet up, and mud and dirt scale the floor and lower third of the room's wall. Tapestries hang from the east and west walls. The tapestry on the west wall has been shredded by large claws, but the one on the east is relatively intact. Each depicts a dwarf clad in full plate armor; the easternmost dwarf carries a warhammer, while the dwarf depicted in the western tapestry has what might be a battleaxe...the shredded fibers make it hard to tell. Empty torch sconces flank both sides of each tapestry.

The door to the south has been broken apart. Pieces of wood lay scattered across the floor. Both the door jam and some of the broken wood bear deep, jagged claw marks. There appears to be nothing of value in this antechamber. Meriene, closest to the broken door on the south wall, can see a hallway beyond the room. The wall lining the southern section of the hall looks like it might be stone, as is the floor.

[sblock=History, DC 17]Guran and Fulgrim, add +2 racial bonus to your History check. The tapestries depict the dwarf brothers who founded Stonefast. A tapestry of Glidden Rockcurler hangs on the west wall. A likeness of his brother, Ulgrist, is in better shape on the eastern tapestry.[/sblock]

[sblock=Fulgrim]Nothing glows with magic in this room.[/sblock]

Let me know if anyone other than Eldon is attempting to use Stealth; if you are, please provide a Stealth roll.

Dec17_a.jpg

Forged Fury

First Post
[sblock=History Check]History Check [+2 Int, +2 Prof] (1d20+4=24) +2 for dwarf = 26[/sblock]

Pointing out the two tapestries, Fulgrim said in a low voice. "Looks like they're taking this Glidden's Bane thing a bit far. The shredded tapestry depicts him, the one in better shape is his brother, Ulgrist. I present to you, the Stonecurler brothers."

The mage examined the rest of the room with a critical eye. He wondered what kind of phenomena would have caused the lower third of the walls to be covered in dirt and mud. Possibly a mudflow through the area? What dwarf in their right mind would build and leave that potential danger unaccounted?

Shrugging, he waited for the rest of the group to move forward.

[sblock=Stealth Check]I imagine we're all going to attempt to move quietly. Obviously, that works better for some of us than others, LOL.
Stealth Check w/Disadvantage [+1 DEX] (1d20+1=8, 1d20+1=4)[/sblock]

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Guran takes hold of the undamaged tapestry and tries to pull it aside enough to investigate the stonework behind it; he holds his torch in such a way that it also casts light in the direction of the exposed area behind the tapestry, if he succeeds in exposing that area.
[sblock=Strength to pull tapestry aside:]1d20+3=11[/sblock]
If there is anything notable about the stonework, he might be able to notice it using Stonecunning. (Investigate +2, Stonecunning +4)
[sblock=Checking area behind tapestry:]1d20+6=11[/sblock]
He's also trying to be quiet:
[sblock=Guran Stealth in entry room:]1d20+4=9
Hrm. I think this means that the torch is giving away his position.[/sblock]

Rabbage

First Post
"So these brothers discovered this...castle..? Why would the runes outside call it their bane. What's that mean, anyways? Some kind of safe haven... doesn't seem very accurate...? If you remember anything else Fulgrim, I trust you to keep us in the know. Now then lets see if I can make out any of these tracks. Maybe find the path less traveled!" Meriene looks over the dirt and mud trying to find which way looks to have been traveled most recently and if possible the heaviness of tracks leading in either direction. She steps south and east one square each to light up the hallways a little more as she does. "May Torm guide my eyes in this darkness," utters to her god as she searches.

[Sblock=OOC]
Meriene casts Guidance on herself
Meriene rolls for Survival to follow the tracks adding to it her Guidance bonus for a total of: 10 =[
[/Sblock]

[sblock=Meriene]
Meriene "Guide" Amascient
Init: +0; Passive Perception: 15

AC 18 (10 Touch; 16 FF)
Current AC: 18(16 w/o Shield)
HP: 10 Current HP: 10

In Hand: Shield, Longsword
Conditions:
Spells:
1st level: 2/2 Remaining

Special:
War Priest 3/3 Remaining
Adv vs Charm Effects, Immunity to Magical Sleep
[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
Fulgrim gives Meriene a befuddled look. "Safe haven?" the dwarf asks wonderingly. "Not quite, Lady of Torm. A bane is just the opposite, in fact. A bane is a ruination... a calamity." Still not quite sure whether he saw comprehension light up in the elf's eyes, he finished hopefully, "Doom? It is quite strange though, although there are a fair number of dwarven stories involving my people delving too deeply and meeting their doom. Possibly this was a similar case?"

Noticing Guran investigating the wall on the east side of the room, the mage turned his attention to the western wall which would have been covered by the poor tapestry of Glidden.

[sblock=Investigation Check]Can't access Invisible Castle at the moment. Feel free to roll on my behalf. +2 INT, +2 or +4 Prof depending on if Stonecunning applies[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases