[Homestyle Campaigns] Great families?

I'm reading the Initiate Brother / Gatherer of Clouds duology (for the, oh, fifth or sixth time...), and enjoying it immensely.

It leads me to wonder, does anyone use great families in their worlds?

In the above duology, the Shonto are a Great House. Their ancestors have been great artists, generals, law-makers, etc. They attract talented individuals like a magnet attracts iron filings. How come? Because they are the Shonto. Other families rise and fall, but the Shonto survive. Throughout their history, they have been deposed at least once, spending decades in exile. They were on the losing side of a civil war. They stood fast against a barbarian horde, and though the patriarch died, the borderlanders still revere the fallen lord. Even an emperor wept at his death. (All of this is background for the novels, so I'm not giving away anything. :) )

So, do you have great families? Not necessarily families for which everything goes right, but families that seem to grow in greatness through both good and bad fortune....

Crothian

First Post
We've had 4 camapigns in the same world. They've covered about 250 years. There are certain families that keep poping up and the members do have certain, similiar qualities. It's also cool, because everyone wants to know what the cool NPCs of the last camapaign are up to.

Wolfwood

First Post
We are currently in the process of playing in and working on a home brewed world. We have come up with several bloodlines that have been around for a while and have interesting stories tied to them.

It is a definate must in storytelling and should be when creating a world.

MaxKaladin

First Post
I hadn't really thought of it in terms of 'Great Houses'. but I suppose my current campaign has some. The PCs work for the Sempronius family (and one is a member). They're a noble family that can trace their roots back to be beginning of the Roman-like empire the campaign takes place in. I wouldn't say everything has gone right for them, but they are survivors.

Some of the plotlines in the campaign have to do with the dealings of this house with other houses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases