Board Games with "D&D feel" for kids

Mercurius

Legend
I know, I know, there's a dedicated forum for board games etc, but bear with me! I took a look there and it seemed like I could easily post something and no one would see it for days, and secondly I want something with a "D&D feel" - so I figured I could get away with posting it here!

My daughters are age 6 and 9 and I'd like to get a board game for the three of us (maybe my wife too) to play. I don't it to be too difficult, to involve complex rules and lots of reading, but I want it to have some of the magic of the D&D experience: finding treasure, accomplishing tasks, fighting monsters, etc. I'm thinking Wrath of Ashardalon etc might be too much, but I've considered that. Preferrably it would be something that could be played again and again. Heroquest comes to mind - anything more modern games like that? Unicorns and/or mermaids are a plus!

Any recommendations? Thanks!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
There aren't all that many fantasy adventure board-games out there, and some are too complex for your purposes (Mage Knight, for instance, despite being brilliant is far too complex for what you need).

Talisman would likely be my first choice. It's not a particularly complex game - basically roll & move, with simple abilities and combat. (Each side rolls 1d6 and adds their Strength, highest wins). Spells are more complex, but not terribly so, and you could always remove the more difficult ones. The expansions add complexity and variety.

Wrath of Ashardalon and similar games are more complex, but not terribly so, but the mechanics are complex enough that I'd worry at a 6-year old's comprehension, but as fully co-operative games, you could help your kids with the game.

Descent gives you the DM + Players idea, and is of middling complexity, but is likely too complex for a 6-year old.

Cheers!

Didn't WotC republish Dungeon! recently?* I haven't played it yet, but I've wanted to; it looks dirt-simple and seems to capture the basic dungeon-crawling idea. Additionally, since it's new and published by WotC, there's a chance you could find it in bookstores rather than paying FLGS prices for a hobby boardgame like Talisman.

*EDIT: They did. Link added.

Nefzyflin

Explorer
I know, I know, there's a dedicated forum for board games etc, but bear with me! I took a look there and it seemed like I could easily post something and no one would see it for days, and secondly I want something with a "D&D feel" - so I figured I could get away with posting it here!

My daughters are age 6 and 9 and I'd like to get a board game for the three of us (maybe my wife too) to play. I don't it to be too difficult, to involve complex rules and lots of reading, but I want it to have some of the magic of the D&D experience: finding treasure, accomplishing tasks, fighting monsters, etc. I'm thinking Wrath of Ashardalon etc might be too much, but I've considered that. Preferrably it would be something that could be played again and again. Heroquest comes to mind - anything more modern games like that? Unicorns and/or mermaids are a plus!

Any recommendations? Thanks!

The Dungeon board game from WotC is pretty basic. Took me maybe 15 minutes or so to read the rules. Recomended age is 8+

Hope that helps.

Nef

Woops... To late. :D

mips42

Adventurer
Also, Descent is very 3e-ish. My group and I would play it if more than 2 people were missing just to get our fantasy groove on.

Small World is pretty excellent, as well as Lords of Waterdeep, although those are both a little bit more large scale. Descent is the ultimate dungeon crawling boardgame, and I've found is much more accessible and just plain fun than the 4E board games like Castle Ravenloft. Munchkin is a great cardgame that subverts a lot of the D&D tropes with a quick pace and quirky cards. Unfortunately, many of these types of games are going to lean towards the more difficult side, but I would definitely take a look at Descent.

HEEGZ

First Post
There are three excellent D&D boardgames like you have described. I own all three and have played them with my kids aged 3, 5, an 8.

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt

And WOTC is publishing a fourth one around March or so...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases