[Recruitment, slots still open] Core D&D Survivor, Level 1-20

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Okay, here's the plan:

A series of 20 challenges, primarily combats, with character level increasing once per challenge. The challenges themselves will be at an EL of approximately 3 higher than the party level. You will receive a hint before each encounter, and a warning now, that almost none will be straight out of the Monster Manual.

There are four character slots. Those who survive a challenge continue. Those who die are replaced by alternates. Total party kills do not advance the level. At every fourth level, there will be a vote by the current players to remove one character, not including those who die. This character will be replaced by an alternate. I will break ties.

In the event of only one character surviving at a voting level, voting will be postponed until the next level during which more than one character survives.

Everyone remains at the appropriate level. After each level, you will gain appropriate gold, according to the DMG progression. There is a catch, however: You cannot keep any of this gold, but rather distribute it among the other players as you think they deserve it.

Items can be sold off for half gold, bought at normal price. Alternates recieve 3/4 starting gold for their level of entry, to account for the losses accrued by long-standing characters having to trade out items.

This will be slow-paced, and I will wait to receive all actions before carrying out initiative. If you have not posted your action within 48 hours of the last initiative, however, you will be assumed to be on full defense (or whatever is the most survivable.)

You have the PHB and only the PHB to make characters. One exception: You may also play a Kobold. Leadership is nerfed, as it makes for too much confusion in gold totals et cetera.

Post character sheets here. First-come, first-serve. We will start once enough have posted their character sheets, and all questions have been worked out. Starting rules:

Point-buy: 28
Gold: 400

Alternates may begin posting character sheets as soon as all slots are filled. Write them up at one level higher than the current level at time of writing, and have them updated once you are selected. Alternates are on a first-come, first-serve basis. You may enter more than one character, but you will be kept at the end of the list of alternates.

After level 20, the winner is chosen from the survivors by a vote among other players: Each character from the beginning of the game onward, including the potential winner, gets one vote per level they survived. There will be a one-week period for voting, in case any former players I, of course, break ties. The winner gets nothing except the honor of being the winner, so let's keep it friendly, and know that there's nothing at stake in the vote-offs.

Yeah, let me say now: This is all for the sake of competitive fun, and by joining you agree to not have hurt feelings if you get voted off or die at some point. I will attempt to stay as true to the rules as possible, but if I screw something up and it isn't noticed immediately (within one round of combat), then it stands, for the sake of continuity.

That said, begin posting characters and questions now.

Slot 1: Strakert Stoneskin, played by Wippit Guud
Slot 2: Gregor, played by GruTheWanderer
Slot 3: Troxy Highberry, played by Yellow Sign
Slot 4:

Awaiting character sheets from:
- reapersaurus
- GWolf
- Iamthegodoftime
- ivanhoe

Color commentators: Timothy, and Jemal (pending a definite "yes" :) )

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
I Like this game, but since my greatest problem is character creation, I'll pass on this, but I will be following it.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Timothy: If you'd like, I was thinking it might be nice to have one or two "color commentators" for the thread. In character, of course :)

Wippit Guud: Nifty. Get a character sheet up and you're in.

Oh, and by the way, although this is mainly a meta-game sort of challenge, it would still be nice if everyone's character had a bit of personality to them. I'm not asking for histories or anything, but keep in mind that if it's fun just having your character around, it might help a little in the voting process. :)

Timothy

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
Timothy: If you'd like, I was thinking it might be nice to have one or two "color commentators" for the thread. In character, of course :)

Okay Count me in!

Do I get the skybox and the cheering audience?

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Timothy said:
Do I get the skybox and the cheering audience?

Precisely! That, and interview characters between matches... (Heck, during, if anyone wants to be mic'd up :) ) Just to keep the whole "sports show/game show/reality TV" feel going on.

On that note, if anyone else is interested in commentating, step right up (particularly someone who's been pbping or doing smackdowns for a while, to do the whole "ah, the classic such-and-such combo! A good strategy -- but will it work?" bit)

Wippit Guud

First Post
Give me until tomorrow... I'm kindof at work right now as a temp supervisor, don't have the free time to sit down and make a character :)

Be up by like 9 EST tomorrow.

reapersaurus

First Post
If the challenges are primarily combats, than I'd offer to play my shield-bashing character, starting as a cleric, from level 1 and see how long I'd last.

Let me know if you want me to join.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases