D&D 3E/3.5 Converting 3ed modules into 1ed

the Jester

Legend
I think the problem with 'backwards conversions' is that a lot of stuff doesn't convert consistently. Compare the spectre 3e and groaning spirit/banshee. Not even close to similar conversion methodology.

I'd recommend doing a straight case-by-case eyeball conversion, frankly- I don't think you have much choice.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
the Jester said:
I think the problem with 'backwards conversions' is that a lot of stuff doesn't convert consistently. Compare the spectre 3e and groaning spirit/banshee. Not even close to similar conversion methodology.

I'd recommend doing a straight case-by-case eyeball conversion, frankly- I don't think you have much choice.
Well, yeah. That's why it's a work of conversion, rather than a simple swap of the stat block. I don't think anybody familiar with 3.x and older versions think there is much in the way of a simple drop in replacement.

I did one of the conversions of Goodman's DCC series back to 1e. There were a lot of decision to be made concerning special abilities and characters with classes. Almost all of it was done on a case-by-case basis, though I was able to find some good fits which already existed in 1e.

In other cases, I had to create a new creature whole cloth. In all cases, I erred on the side of 1e "feel" and conventions, as that was the target audience.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
so far i've only used the twig blight conversion. and part of the sunless citadel as part of B1 In Search of the Unknown.

the vampire tree, the druid, and such have only made appearances as rumors. the party didn't follow up on them. :]

francisca

I got dice older than you.
diaglo said:
so far i've only used the twig blight conversion. and part of the sunless citadel as part of B1 In Search of the Unknown.

the vampire tree, the druid, and such have only made appearances as rumors. the party didn't follow up on them. :]
A converted sunless citadel might come in handy for me, so I'll have a look at doing some conversion back to 1e. Doing the goodman conversion was kinda fun and educational, as I re-learned some of what I had forgotten or took for granted in 1e, and re-examined some of my interpretations 3e. I think I'm better for it on both fronts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases