Elemantal Savant & transcendence: not a good thing?

DwarvenBrew

First Post
My new character, a dwarven wizard, was going to head towards the Elemental Savant (Earth) PrC in Tome and Blood. However, once you actually transcend, you take double damage from your opposing element. Is it really worth it?

It seems that after I had transcended, any other near-same level wizard (or druid for that matter) would absolutely toast me with a lightning bolt, whether I make my saving throw or not. I don't mind taking some penalties in exchange for some benefits, but double damage and a wizard's hps seems suicidal.

To be honest, I've never reach such high levels before though, so am I missing something?

J'quan

First Post
If you read the section carefully, you'll note that it's not just a straight up "take double damage." It's the same that exists for any creature of an elemental sub-type. You take double damage from an opposing element if:

* There is no saving throw involed, or
* You fail the saving throw.

If you make the save, you take the standard half-damage.

Is it worth it? I don't know - is it worth getting the qualities of the elemental transcendence (immunity to your chosen element, sleep, poison, certain outsider qualities)? That's something you have to decide. If you do, I would suggest keeping a few Protection from Elements spells handy :)

Gez

First Post
You are (well, your character is) a wizard. You have Tome & Blood.

Therefore, you know the existence of the spell Energy Immunity, Sor/Wiz 7, lasts 24 hours. If you're near Transcendance, you should be able to cast it.

Then, you'll be immune to acid (because of your nature), and immune to electricity (because of your magic). If you have some extra slots handy, you may want to get protected from fire and sonic as well, the most popular damaging effects (fire because it's classic, sonic because it's supposed to be "munchkin").

Michael Tree

First Post
Is becoming immune to poison, critical hits, sneak attacks, stunning, and so on worth being somewhat more vulnerable to a specific energy type if you don't have an appropriate spell cast? Hell yeah. :D

Oni

First Post
It's really not worth it if your a water elementalist in my opinion. You see you gain all the special qualities and special attacks whether you want them or not. Which meants you gain water mastery, which means if either you or your opponent is land bound you have suffer a -4 penalty to all your attacks and damage.

Olive

Explorer
other than the pre mentioned lightning bolt, you might want to ask your DM if he's metagaming. every wizard? they never use other spells? thats like the DM giving you a amulet of shielding, and then never using magic missle again.

thundershot

Adventurer
My wife's character is working toward an Elemental Savant, only using the Ice Paraelemental from MotP. Her character is an arctic elf, so it fits better than anything. Not too difficult to swing, either.

Chris

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases