D&D 5E The Secret Under the Stairs [OOC]

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The Diary of Miriam Wallace, Final Entry

January 18th, 2001

Dear Diary,

I finished book four again today. I think that's the third time. I wish book five would hurry up and write itself. I've had to content myself with rereading Narnia and Prydain again. Oh how I wish these places were real. I so wanted a Hogwarts letter for my birthday last year...but it never came. Mom says I should pry my head out of my books and go outside but outside is so boring. I keep peeking in the closet under our own stairs, hoping to see Harry in there. Mom keeps it locked though I've never been able to figure out why.

Well, she left it unlocked this morning and I am going to do more than peek. Maybe, just maybe...

Fourteen Years Later...

"I am so glad we could get you settled in to your new home. If you wouldn't mind filling out our little survey on the General Realtors website, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again."

Your family are the proud owners of a new home. Its been on the market for a while and there's a bit of history to it - the previous owners lost their daughter and the mother ended up committing suicide in the house, at least according to your new neighbors anyway. The realtor said that story was mostly made-up.

But, what is this strange journal hidden in the closet in one of the bedrooms?

Welcome to something...different. I have always felt that one fantasy genre D&D has been missing has been the "magical world" genre, where a "real" world contains fantasy and magic inside a wardrobe or in a cupboard or in a letter from a school of magic.

Your characters are all members of a modern day family, or possibly family friends or neighbors. The core family has just bought a new home with a hidden secret. As such, everyone who wishes to play should consider which member of the family they are before coming up with stats. You may play any race, but keep in mind that you all start as a human in the "real" world, only becoming something more after stepping through door to the "other side." Create your character normally - 27 point buy for ability scores using the variant on page 13 of the PHB; only modern equipment to start; your character can be any age from 8 to 80 or so; everyone has the following background.

Modern Mundane

You are one of the billions of people living in the "real" world, completely unaware of the magical realm that lies just beyond the closet door.

Skill Proficiencies: One modern Profession or Hobby (Int, Wis, or Cha based usually - come up with anything you like subject to DM approval), one other skill proficiency of choice except Arcana
Tool Proficiencies: One modern tool, instrument, or vehicle of choice (usually related to the character's profession in some way)
Equipment: Anything reasonably expected of a modern, upper middle class family, within reason

Feature: Beyond the Closet Door

The inhabitants of the world beyond can sense those from the other side and expect great things from them - every visitor has always brought greatness with them. As such, you are often greeted with respect and treated favorably by common folk and nobility alike, though some may seek to exploit or manipulate you.

_____

For the family, at a minimum I'd like one character to be a parent and at least one character to be a child. The rest can be additional parents and children, visiting relatives helping the family move in, friends and neighbors, etc. Diversity is a good thing and the connections between the characters will be very important so discuss your characters with fellow players and the DM.

I'm hoping to get three players at a minimum, with a tentative maximum of six. Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Zansy

Explorer
We're talking about 5e, Right? :3
I'd like to post positively tentative interest - either as a(the?) son, or as a friendly neighbor (TBD).
That being said, What kind of genre are you taking this world? I'm very cool with various
types of fantasy but I typically favor lighter portrayals over darker themes.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Welcome aboard!

Yes, D&D 5E is the name of the game. The "other side" is going to be a whimsical sort of fantasy with inspirations from Narnia, Labyrinth, and Harry Potter, among others. More fairy tale fantasy, less Middle Earth.

Zansy

Explorer
Welcome aboard!

Yes, D&D 5E is the name of the game. The "other side" is going to be a whimsical sort of fantasy with inspirations from Narnia, Labyrinth, and Harry Potter, among others. More fairy tale fantasy, less Middle Earth.
Awesome :)
By the way, I'm gonna build it soon enough - I'm thinking warlock, I've been itching to play one since I got the Player's handbook. race TBD. More details to come that's for certain!

Leif

Adventurer
Not sure I have the time or mental energy to commit to this game, but let me float this idea anyway: I'm thinking of the grandfather, aged 61 years, who is a judge. Skill proficiency will be criminal law, and tool proficiency will be his trusty laptop computer for both word processing and accessing an online law library. Fantasy class is wizard, or, perhaps if he could be a younger self in the fantasy world, possibly ranger or fighter.

Last edited:

Zansy

Explorer
I think a better time to discuss family roles is when we have at least hit minimum cast number, no? ;)

I decided my character would be the son (or eldest son?): he's tall,
handsome. He can act a bit obnoxious or immature,but it's mostly
remnants of being a popular bully (yes I am building on stereotypes but bear with me) anyway!college senior who was recently expelled under grounds of vandalizing of campus property. It's a shame, too - he used to be a great linebacker with a football scholarship. He also has a knack for carpentry, but works at a small street food chain and trying to earn his own money and not have to ask the family.

I'm also thinking about giving him an intelligence skill, like Religion(if applicable) or History.
so he does have some sort of knowledge he could rely on.

When he passes through the magical Narnia portal thing:)p), he will turn into a halfling warlock somewhat bound to aiding a sprite who is smarter than him. I find the irony(or karmic justice? You decide) delightful, and frankly would like a sprite familiar in the adventure somehow!

Last edited:

Zansy

Explorer
Sounds intriguing. Just be careful how far you take the stereotypes, please.

Fair enough. I'll try not to overdo it! :) that being said I'd be glad to hear and consider any concerns you might have on the matter if you would like to elaborate on them in private :angel:n

I may be reading too many college webcomics, though.:uhoh:

EDIT: I'm still working on the details, but how would you like the CS posted? I usually use the craft wondrous item feat, myth-weavers and 1,500 gp in special materials but I'm open to suggestions :p

Last edited:

Remove ads