Lay on hands, sneak attacks and burning hands

Metus

First Post
Just ran a game of mine tonight and a few questions came up. First off, when a rogue is flanking, if he gets an AoO on the creature he's flanking, he's allowed a sneak attack, correct?

Also, is a rogue's ability to sneak attack a flanking creature negated if that flanked creature is attacking him? The rogue in our party believes so.

Does Lay on Hands warrant an AoO? Does drinking a potion warrant an AoO for that matter? Couldn't find that listed anywhere.

When Burning Hands is cast, do creatures automatically catch on flame, or are they allowed a reflex save?

And that's it. Any answers would be much appreciated, since our group was kind of iffy on all of these.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
First off, when a rogue is flanking, if he gets an AoO on the creature he's flanking, he's allowed a sneak attack, correct?

Yes.

Also, is a rogue's ability to sneak attack a flanking creature negated if that flanked creature is attacking him? The rogue in our party believes so.

No.

Does Lay on Hands warrant an AoO? Does drinking a potion warrant an AoO for that matter? Couldn't find that listed anywhere.

Lay on Hands is a spell-like ability, and SLAs provoke AoOs.

Using a potion or oil provokes AoOs (DMG p190).

When Burning Hands is cast, do creatures automatically catch on flame, or are they allowed a reflex save?

Creatures aren't set on fire - flammable materials are. Creatures take damage.

-Hyp.

Metus

First Post
Re: Re: Lay on hands, sneak attacks and burning hands

Hypersmurf said:
Creatures aren't set on fire - flammable materials are. Creatures take damage.

So that would include the creature's clothing, right? What about animals and their fur? Our sorcerer believed that wolves would catch on fire with that spell, and I agreed with him.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It's a DM's call... I'd read it as unattended flammable items, and risk clothing etc catching on fire on a natural 1 on the saving throw.

But Burning Hands could be read as fulfilling the "unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise" clause of Items surviving after a saving throw on PHB p150.

-Hyp.

Vysirez

First Post
One comment on the wolves burning. Most hair and fur is self extinguishing. Meaning that unless the animal is coated in some flammable substance the hair/fur will go out fairly quickly.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Metus said:

Burning Hands says "Flammable materials such as cloth, paper, parchment, and thin wood burn if the flames touch them."

I am not sure if this sentence is just for describing that the flame is hot, or saying that unattended object will burn, or saying that such materials will burn regardless of they are worn or not.

If the third case is true, it can be DM's call but I think "Catching on Fire" rule, DMG P.86, can be used. Thus, another Ref Save (DC 15) to avoid catching on fire.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Sammael said:
Lay on Hands was changed to a supernatural ability in the errata, and, thus does not provoke an AoO.

Can't find this anywhere in the erratta or FAQ, care to explain or at least provide a page number?

kreynolds

First Post
Dash Dannigan said:
Can't find this anywhere in the erratta or FAQ, care to explain or at least provide a page number?

Yeah. That's the first time I've heard anything like that.
dubious-yellow.gif

Remove ads