monks . . . we don't need no stinking monks

Sanackranib

First Post
So I disallowed the monk class in my game (broken-long tired story) But Im thinking about allowing martial artists. Has anyone includede a martial artist PC in their game (was it a class or PrC?)
if so how did it go?

Neowolf

First Post
Sorry to bug you with this, but why exactly have you disallowed the Monk? I'd be interested in hearing why you believe it to be broken (or whatever other reason you'd have for banning it).

As for your actual question: it wouldn't be too hard to alter the existing monk to fit your needs. Want them to be less mystical? Give them bonus feats instead of new class features (perhaps multiple feats for the more powerful features). Think they're too durable? Tone down their saves a bit.

333 Dave

First Post
No need for a new martial artist class! Just make a bunch of MA feats available as bonus feats to fighters and your ready to go! For some ideas try the Unarmed Combat feats in Spycraft! Master of the 6th Style just kicks butt!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Sanackranib, I'm just curious, are you referring to the Martial Artist core class from Chainmail Bikini's Beyond Monks PDF product?

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
monks

my beefs with monks:
too many special abilities
special abilities that no core class should have ie spell resistance and poison imunity, not to mention EVERY save is FAVORED!
at higher level they are too unbalanced ie:d20 hand damage, fast movement, safe fall, sr, dex AND wis to ac etc
yes they cant wear armor but why would you? it would only slow you down. these are all old arguements I have posted here before and I am not looking to start a flame war on why I should allow monks or why I dont. I just think that as writen they have no place in a "mid-evil" fantasy game. If I were to run an oriental adventure then I would allow them. as they are they get too many advantages and no real disads IMO

Sanackranib

First Post
monks

Alzrius said:
Sanackranib, I'm just curious, are you referring to the Martial Artist core class from Chainmail Bikini's Beyond Monks PDF product?

Not specifically, I have read it once through as well as other martial artists, I was just curious how it went for those who have allowed martial artists in their game.;)

Black Omega

First Post
The Martial Artist class is ok. No one in my game uses it but if someone wished, I'd see no trouble allowing it. YMMV, though, I've used monks alot and not had any problems with them.

I'll ask you the same question I ask everyone who believes monks are unbalanced.

Have you actually seen them played regularly at high levels, or are you just judging by what's in the book?

I'll be the first to admit that, on paper, monks look horribly unbalanced. I was tempted to disallow them myself.

But experience has shown that, in actual play, they are absolutely not unbalanced. For all their abilities, they don't actually turn out any better, in the final analysis, than anyone else.

Gizzard

First Post
...at higher level they are too unbalanced ie:d20 hand damage, fast movement, safe fall, sr, dex AND wis to ac etc

Are you starting at high level?

Just curious. I posted a poll a week ago to see what levels people had played -- the majority response was that people had started at "Low" (1st-6th) and played up to "Medium" (7-12). Only about 25% of the people were playing a "High" (13-19) level character at all, and only 9% were playing "Epic" (20+). (And some percentage of each of those jump-started their characters beyond 6th level.)

Anyway, the point being that a lot of playgroups wont have to worry about ever seeing a Monk with d20 damage or SR. He may or may not be broken at that level, but personally I'd be more worried about Spellcaster 20s than Monk 20s.

If you've decided to ban them, then fair enough, but I certainly wouldnt worrry about Monks from a balance point of view unless I was jumpstarting my campaign at over 12th level. (The OA flavor argument I rather agree with.)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
mouseferatu said:
I'll ask you the same question I ask everyone who believes monks are unbalanced.

Have you actually seen them played regularly at high levels, or are you just judging by what's in the book?

I'll be the first to admit that, on paper, monks look horribly unbalanced. I was tempted to disallow them myself.

But experience has shown that, in actual play, they are absolutely not unbalanced. For all their abilities, they don't actually turn out any better, in the final analysis, than anyone else.

Hey if Ari likes them you know you can't go wrong my Scribe. ;) (btw I do agree with you about Monks, in a rp sense. I don't see they working well in SL...but then I'm not involved the player's guide for the Class. Just the Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers. (Did the spells! Yeah! Happy me! :D)

Remove ads