Arcane Magic, Divine Magic, Nature Magic and Psionics are too much alike.

Roman

First Post
Does anybody else agree with me that the four basic types of supernatural powers are too much alike in their effects? I would much prefer them to have more unique effects. For example psionics could be excellent at all things to do directly with the mind and body and unable to do much else... and so on for the other types. As it stands, it seems to me that all these supernatural powers more or less duplicate the effects of each other (yes, there are some differences, but still). Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dunno. I guess for me there are differences...but then I play in a world where such things ARE accentuated. Sorcerers have bloodlines, Wizards learn spells, Clerics aren't druids, druids aren't clerics, and Psionics...well psionics ARE different. So I guess it's just what you use...and how you use it.

Eternalknight

First Post
I perfer to have different methods of using the same powers for the different types. Wizards read from a spellbook, sorcerers channel mana, clerics prey, druids conduct nature rituals etc.

I feel the same way.

On one hand it's easy because everybody has a unified mechanic, which is simple on players/DMs, but it's very boring. I want Wizards to feel different from Sorcerers, Clerics from Druids, and Psionics should be way out there, but they should all be similar and easy to use.

And could I have a pony too? :)

fba827

Adventurer
I agree in that I like the effects to all be more different. Made considerable effort that all descriptions of spells were done with this in mind.

Biggest actual House Rule I made to this regard, though, was making natural magic a catagory seperate from divine and arcane (i.e. druids and rangers are not divine casters, they are nature casters). That helps make a further distinction in some player's minds. (it did have some side effects such as PrCs that require X divine caster levels, etc. but with tweaking nothing was all that difficult to over come).

I am also working on alerting how nature magic works, a little. At first I kept thinking that different terrains should have different sorts of druids. But, honestly, that seemed more work than it should have been. So, right now I am tinkering with the idea that okay if all druids know the different spells, since they are drawing their magic from nature the spell effects themselves will be different in different terrains (cold-based spells cast by a nature-caster have the caster level reduced by 1 for spell effects in a hot arid desert environment while sun and fire based spells would have the caster level increased by 1). and so on for other terrains ... This all is still in theory though but that is the type of thing I'm playing with at this moment :)

(I'm rambling, sorry)

Roman

First Post
fba827, good ideas about the druids. I especially like the part about the spells having different effects in different terrains and I also like separating nature magic from divine magic.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Yes, I absolute agree, they are too similar.

Also, in my mind, it takes more than couple of flavor alterations to fix that.

Especially the way psionics were handled felt cheap to me.

It's boring.

However, I wouldn't want to trade this for overly complicated mechanics or hard-to-remember flavor-rules.
Of course, I know, if I want better magic system I must write it myself, or borrow it from someone, who is not as lazy as I am. ;)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I agree with you entirely and I think its one of the biggest flaws with the DnD system.

That being said however a lot can be done by using 'flavour-modes' to tweak the different classes

eg the idea of 'Scorcerer Bloodlines/Themes' has already been alluded too

IMC Clerics use a system of Sacraments -whereby a particular Ritual/Duty (Sacrament) is linked to the ability to use a particular Gift. These Gifts include Domain spells and various other powers (eg Turnings, Healing, Voice of Authority, Calm Animals etc)

The idea of the RUSH ability was another way of differentiating Shaman/Mystic types.

Shaman/Druids imc are those who consort with Spirits and their spells are exclusively focused on communing with Spirits. They don't cast spells but can ask Spirits to do it for them.

The other option is to create an entirely new magic system...

tleilaxu

First Post
this is what i think:

1) d20 tries to categorize fantasy archetypes into definitive systems

2) it tries to make PC classes "playable" IE fun to play

these two constraints make it difficult to explore magic in different ways. the underlying vancian magic system of DND has caused it to not be a generic fantasy system but instead to be DND fantasy. it is a kind of catch-22. you can see from all the d20 alternate magic system suppliments that many other people are looking for something different a la magic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases