Creature for making a tunnel

Shin Okada

Explorer
Let's assume that a bunch of Underdark humanoids (Drow, Duergar, Orog, etc.) form a small battle company, say 150-200 humanoids and some additional monsters, and try to march up to a surface. They want to dig a new tunnel instead of using caverns and such. What kind of creature will be the best excavator for them?

Delver seems to be good but relatively slow (burrow 10-ft.). Thoqqua is faster (20-ft.) but smaller (large at best). I am not sure if Destrachan can make a stable tunnel with their ability.

Is there something better?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Purple worm?

Possibly.

The rule says "Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details. " But as a DM I may ignore that part, or stretch it a bit.

Purple Worm is INT 1 aberration. Maybe I should let a mind flayer handle it as Arms and Equipment guide says illithids use them as a kind of mount.

A

amerigoV

Umber Hulks. I believe Monte had one in the Banewarrens adventure just for this purpose (well for a small group). Perhaps one per squad would work - that would then allow multiple entry points (plus aside from the natural chaos of something bursting out of the ground, UH are great shock troops with their natural fighting ability and Confusion).

Shin Okada

Explorer
What do spells like Longstrider do when cast on a Delver?

From SRD,

This spell increases your base land speed by 10 feet. (This adjustment counts as an enhancement bonus.) It has no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim.

There are spells which enhances fly speed, swim speed and such. But I am not sure if there are spells which enhances burrow speed.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I addressed this once with a few Thoqqua. Had an NPC that spoke elemental languages and had a good diplomacy score, he was the handler of the pack.
'cause melting a tunnel thru stone seems cooler than digging.

Thoqqua-01.jpg

Attachments

• Thoqqua-01.jpg
    Thoqqua-01.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,603

Dandu

First Post
Let's assume that a bunch of Underdark humanoids (Drow, Duergar, Orog, etc.) form a small battle company, say 150-200 humanoids and some additional monsters, and try to march up to a surface. They want to dig a new tunnel instead of using caverns and such. What kind of creature will be the best excavator for them?

Delver seems to be good but relatively slow (burrow 10-ft.). Thoqqua is faster (20-ft.) but smaller (large at best). I am not sure if Destrachan can make a stable tunnel with their ability.

Is there something better?

Badgermoles

Greenfield

Adventurer
From SRD,

There are spells which enhances fly speed, swim speed and such. But I am not sure if there are spells which enhances burrow speed.
I'm aware that ER doesn't affect burrow speed. I asked if there was something "like" ER.

Consider Haste? +30 to movement for up to 10 rounds. Extend Spell makes it 20. Good for tactical assault, but the relatively short duration makes it less appealing on a strategic level.

Also consider an alternative: Pixie Dust reduces PCs to Grig size (Tiny) for up to 9 hours. No loss of movement. Undone with a single Dispel Magic once you're where you need to be.

Why? Because now you can use tunneling creatures of much smaller size. It opens the number of options immensely.

While a Sphere of Annihilation might be tempting, it's too hard to control. Consider a Voidstone (Manual of the Planes) and a Ring of Telekinesis instead. You TK the Stone against the earth and it disintegrates it on contact.

Remove ads