D&D 5E Can I Polymorph myself?

Shatterphim

First Post
I always assumed that I could not Polymorph myself since the spell requires Concentration, and if I turned myself into something with Int/Wis lower than 8 that I would be unable to maintain the spell and immediately revert. However, I just looked at the huge Sorcerer Wild Magic table and on the roll of 77-78, a Sorcerer Polymorph's themselves into a sheep. So the question is can a Wizard Polymorph themselves?

Dargrimm

First Post
I think this case (wild magic surge) is special. You polymorph against your will (hence the saving throw) and I assume that you stay as a sheep for the whole hour or you drop to 0 hit points. You don't need to concentrate to maintain the effect since it is more like an after effect of your wild magic instead of a conscious effort, and I believe that you basically become a NPC under the control of the DM for the period you spend as a sheep...

And about wizards casting polymorph on themselves, I would allow it but if they transform into something with animal Intelligence then instead of Concentration I would give the spell a random duration instead... and take the control from the player for the duration.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Shouldn't you keep your mental scores, replacing just the physical? (I don't have any book with me ATM)

Spell polymorph causes you to assume form mental scores. Id imagine that surge sheep polymorph might keep them, as i think losing your ability to cast is punishment enough. Druie wild shape is also one to maintain your own mental scores.

aramis erak

Legend
You don't in this edition. A bard could have Cha 3 and still cast his or her spells.

Until level + casting mod exceeds 1, which will be level 6 (as 6-4=20, you can only prepare one spell. So, he's a 4 trick pony (3 cantrips and one level 1 spell...) for levels 1-5...

Shatterphim

First Post
I was going by roleplaying... Its not that you can't cast it, its that you may not be able to maintain concentration in beast form. Mental scores get replaced but you keep your Alignment and Personality.

You're still you, even if you can't do math or see very well or express yourself. There's no minimum score required to concentrate, although you might be worse if you're forced to make a concentration check and your modifier has changed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases