D&D 5E What's wrong with a human-centric fantasy world?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
As long as you set the expectation that the world is Human-only, there's no problem with it.

However, to address your points in the first post: What makes, at least in my games, PCs different from one another is there is a history to each race, which is detailed far more than the players will probably ever discover. This comes into play during the campaign, as well; I provide a basic idea of how the society the race comes from acts, and the expectation is that the character will act in at least a similar manner. If, on the other hand, the player chooses to play his or her character against the grain, the society will react accordingly, depending on their own morays and folkways.

For example, I have half-dwarves in my world. Depending on which dwarven clan you come from, as a half-dwarf, you will get treated differently; the dwarves of the valley wouldn't treat you any differently than anybody else. The insular mountain dwarves, on the other hand, might kill you once they learn what you are (these mountain dwarves have a shared cultural history with humanity, i.e. lots of wars, which are partially the dwarves fault and partially the human empire at the time, as well as several other factors).

In other words, what makes PC races different isn't their statistics—its their culture.

gyor

Legend
I have a constant desire to decrease the degree of "kitchen sink" look and feel of D&D. It seems that every published setting or homebrew I play in is based on the assumption that "more is better", and that:

- there has to be many playable races
- playable races should include traditional PHB races
- all races should more or less have similar societies and therefore opportunities

This is fine, but it's certainly not novel or original anymore. In particular, the third concept above means that every race should have access to every class, background, spell, equipment etc. with only few minor exceptions.

For me a few downsides have manifested clearly in play, among which:

- all campaigns are more similar to each other
- everybody roleplays their PC identically, whatever the chosen race (speaking like a drunkard doesn't make your Dwarf PC really different)
- there is nothing "fantastical" left about fantasy races

I almost would like to toss it all away and just have the players play human characters, and focus on the individuals in order to decide how to roleplay them, instead of looking at "race".

In the past while we were playtesting 5e, in order to simplify the game setup (almost all players had never played D&D), I didn't even mention other races, in fact we didn't use races features at all (not even the human bonuses). It was only a short campaign of but a few evenings, but nothing felt missing.

Perhaps it doesn't have to use such an extreme solution. What if the options of playing other PHB races is still there (also in combination with any class), but all non-human characters are treated are rarely seen in the world? So you can play an Elf or Dwarf (or even an Elf Barbarian or a Dwarf Monk) but you'll very unlikely ever see an Elf/Dwarf NPC?

I want to try and push these non-human races out of the common and restore a tiny little bit of wonder about them, not jeopardize a player's desires. What would be wrong with this?

You should try Chronicles of Darkness, most "splats" think races, start out or emulate being human, but they don't FEEL human, or like each other. A Beasts need to feed on fear, to terrorize people or starve their horror, which will torment people in their dreams if it is not regularly fed. A werewolf, the ultimate predator, they slogan is a wolf has got to hunt. Extreme Pack Creates, their packs have totems, some of whom hate or betray their pack.

The Bound, you died and came back thanks to a special kind of powerful ghost called a geist that now shares your body, which it's not freaking out and trashing the place. Oh it's very difficult for death to stick when one kills one of the bound, their Geist brings them back to life after they've died, unless special circumstances are met. Oh and the Underworld is predatory, it likes to devours ghosts.

Changelings were human once, but we're kidnapped and tortured by a God like Fae Being called a True Far, twisted into a fae creatures. Changeling are always extremely paranoid, because it's just matter of time before the True Fae or the Huntsmen try and hunt these Changelings down.

Mummies we're first created back thousands and thousands of years ago in a city called Irem, in the nameless empire. They we're made to serve the judges. They spend most of their time dead, but at certain times the judges send them back to inhabit their corpse, which is granted a more human appears using solidified life magic. Most other splats facing a mummy are advised to run away, WotC does not worry about balance between splats.

Remove ads