D&D 5E Trying to build a pole arm fighter

Minsc

Explorer
What paths should I take for a pole arm fighter?

I like the tactical options with a reach weapon, although I'll admit to not really knowing them well just yet.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Half Orc + Champion is another great combo, especially with pole arms. You crit more often and do more damage when you crit. Feats also make pole arms amazing. Great weapon master for example whenever you crit or kill, you make an attack on another creature. With a reach weapon that is awesome.

Minsc

Explorer
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Here's my goal list:

Polearm Mastery
Sentinel
Great Weapon Master
Heavy Armor Master

Heavy Armor Master is most useful at low levels, but it has nothing to do with the concept. It puts me in a tough spot: do I take it first and reap the benefits (DR - which won't apply as much at later levels, and boosting my point buy STR to 18), or do I go for the Polearm Mastery first?

I also considered Human for getting the extra feat at first level (completing the "essential feats" at level 8 instead of level 12), but the Half Orc bonuses are worth more than a feat, IMHO. I also like going non-human, I think it's a bit more fun in an RP sense.

I'm pretty sure my character will carry a Halberd and a GreatAxe, before deciding on what feats work better for the build.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I can't see carrying a great axe and a halberd RP wise. For tunnels and other in close fighting, a short sword makes more sense. I don't see someone switching from a halberd to a great axe and back to the halberd in the middle of a battle. I can buy wizards slinging fireballs at dragons, but weapon caddying mid battle between ostensibly similar weapons breaks suspension of disbelief. Would your character know one does a d12 and the other does a d10? Simpler to just carry the halberd if that is your schtick.

Minsc

Explorer
I can't see carrying a great axe and a halberd RP wise. For tunnels and other in close fighting, a short sword makes more sense. I don't see someone switching from a halberd to a great axe and back to the halberd in the middle of a battle. I can buy wizards slinging fireballs at dragons, but weapon caddying mid battle between ostensibly similar weapons breaks suspension of disbelief. Would your character know one does a d12 and the other does a d10? Simpler to just carry the halberd if that is your schtick.

I just got off of work, but I was thinking the same thing during the day.

I also don't see why I can't use a Halberd at 5' distance. No point in the Greataxe at all IMHO.

I hope this new DM sees things as I do.

I also hope he's flexible with the Halberd. In AD&D 1e and 2e (90% of my D&D experience is in 2e), the Halberd was slashing or piercing, which makes total sense. It's an axe with a spike on top.

ForumFerret

Explorer
Agreed, there's nothing in the Halberd description or combat rules that precludes using the halberd at 5'.

I question the utility of Heavy Armor Master, though. Feats are a precious resource, and intelligent play of a reach weapon will actually MINIMIZE the utility of HAM (as you'll mostly be out of range of same-size attackers). This would give you the opportunity to slot in a +2 STR or CON between Sentinel and Great Weapon Master.

Erechel

Explorer
I'll go with human with Heavy Armor Master feat at first level. You have a granted +2 to strenght, and DR is just... awesome. Unless a monster or foe specifically says that his attack is magical, it's asumed to be normal. So against multiple attacks (like that of a monk if he hasn't empowered his strikes with ki) it's a <i>lot</i> less damage. Try a zombie plage against him, and they just won't do damage half the time. You can use the halberd pretty nice, and choose the feat of Polearm master at 4 level, and you have granted at 5th three attacks, four if the creature enter your reach. Goodbye zombies

ForumFerret

Explorer
it's really of marginal utility, though. It SOUNDS powerful, but you're really only safe from kobolds and other ~ 1d6 damage rolls. Once you're past lvl 2 or 3, you'll very rarely fight things that do under 2d6 or that don't have +3 or +4 str mods. After that, Heavy Armor Master might on average keep you alive for one more hit during a combat. Compare that to stat increases, where +2 str will give you +1 damage on every strike and improve skills. +2 CON would give you +1 hp/lvl up to your current level, and +1 hp every time you level up after that which will eventually equal or surpass the average effective HP increase you get from Heavy Armor Master. Earlier access to Polearm Master will give you a bonus attack each turn, or Sentinel could help you control the battlefield and help keep your allies safer by controlling choke points. Heck, even Observant would be fantastic, making it so you are extremely unlikely to be surprised or ambushed, or miss critical environmental clues and details.

If you're still super interested in Heavy Armor Master, I might sugguest you ask your DM if he will instead allow it to give DR equal to your Proficiency bonus. At least then it'll retain some value/utility as you level up.

Pickles JG

First Post
Compare that to stat increases, where +2 str will give you +1 damage on every strike and improve skills.

It's only +1 Str as HAM comes with +1 str, though I agree it is a marginal feat & the one I would drop.

I would be variant human & take Polearm mastery at level 1. This is because the extra attacks it grants are more useful early before you get 2 inherent attacks. At level 4 & 6 I would take a STR bump & either Sentinel if I wanted to be controlly or GW mastery if I want more damage!!! (either order)

At level 8 you have the choice of either a stat bump or the missing feat as the next option comes in 4 levels so it's big gap. I would probably live with an 18 at this point as I find I rarely notice +1, while +2 missing always seems really obvious. The last 3 feats are pretty open - feats or stat (probably con) boost. Resilient would be a good feat - probably WIS.

A none human has to choose to be slightly behind the ability curve or lack either control or massive DPS. But you can see in the dark

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I thought the Heavy Armor Mastery feat was amazing when I first saw it. Around levels 6 or 7, almost any humanoid enemy was rocking a magical weapon against me though. If I could turn back the clock, and redo my polearm fighter, I wouldn't have chosen that feat.

Here's how I'd build a polearm fighter, if I could do it over again (point buy):

Human Fighter:
STR and CON 16, distribute the other stats how you see fit.

Level 1: Polearm Master, Great Weapon Fighting style
Level 3: Battle Master (Lunging Attack, Sweeping Attack, Trip Attack)
Level 4: Sentinel (Please make sure you step back 5' after this, so the enemies provoke more Opportunity Attacks!)
Level 6: Great Weapon Master

Yeah, you're set by then. :cool:

Remove ads