D&D 5E Trying to build a pole arm fighter

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Only things to do after this are take some more cool Battle Master Manuevers (Parry is sweet if you have a decent DEX), but I'd suggest boosting that STR to 20 before taking more feats.

You wouldn't be wrong in pushing back the Great Weapon Master feat to bump your STR first.

You also wouldn't be wrong in making this character a Dwarf or Half Orc, but Human definitely shines at 1st level when you have a feat already. Any character with point buy can only get a 17 in a stat maximum, which is the same bonus as a 16, so there's not really a difference in that regard.

Minsc

Explorer
I thought the Heavy Armor Mastery feat was amazing when I first saw it. Around levels 6 or 7, almost any humanoid enemy was rocking a magical weapon against me though. If I could turn back the clock, and redo my polearm fighter, I wouldn't have chosen that feat.

Here's how I'd build a polearm fighter, if I could do it over again (point buy):

Human Fighter:
STR and CON 16, distribute the other stats how you see fit.

Level 1: Polearm Master, Great Weapon Fighting style
Level 3: Battle Master (Lunging Attack, Sweeping Attack, Trip Attack)
Level 4: Sentinel (Please make sure you step back 5' after this, so the enemies provoke more Opportunity Attacks!)
Level 6: Great Weapon Master

Yeah, you're set by then. :cool:
wow, thank you! exactly what I was looking for!!

Trancekat

First Post
How's the DPR on this character? I've been toting with the idea of building the same thing, but with 2 levels of Warlock for hex, Devils Sight.

I've were not doing enough DPR, we may not be able to hold the line.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Pretty damn good!

I mean, you'd do more damage with a greatsword or greataxe, but not much more.

You need to be using a mat to get the most out of this character. The beauty of this character is the increased range. It allows you to get in front and prevent enemies from reaching your casters. Monsters have a really hard time getting around you!

RulesJD

First Post
I thought the Heavy Armor Mastery feat was amazing when I first saw it. Around levels 6 or 7, almost any humanoid enemy was rocking a magical weapon against me though. If I could turn back the clock, and redo my polearm fighter, I wouldn't have chosen that feat.

Here's how I'd build a polearm fighter, if I could do it over again (point buy):

Human Fighter:

Level 4: Sentinel (Please make sure you step back 5' after this, so the enemies provoke more Opportunity Attacks!)

What he said, but I'll disagree with his BM selection.

Go with Trip, Menacing, and Precision.

1. Trip = When you take your Polearm Mastery op attack (after you get Sent) use a Trip die. If it works, the target is stuck prone until their next turn = advantage on all your attacks.

2. Menacing = Much too good to generate Disadvantage + hit a target 10ft away and they can't move closer to you and your party.

3. Precision = Never miss on a Great Weapon Mastery strike. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

Kithas

First Post
So, I have a level 19 Fighter that uses a polearm, basically the build you are looking for, been playing him for a year and he is very good but I have learned a lot over the time with him. I'll try to be concise.
The feats I have; Polearm Master, Healer, Magic initiate, Great weapon Master, Sentinel, Heavy armor master, and defensive duelist.

First off, don't neglect your Con. My biggest regret is that +2 con that is still staring at me, at this point it means that it is very difficult for me to stay in the front lines for long without going down and I need to be very careful where and how I attack, I've even started using a sword and shield when I think the group needs more defense because I just get hit a ton.

Secondly, Sentinel is overrated. I very rarely get to use all or even part of that feat in a fight, when I do it's nice but usually it's a waste.
Great Weapon Master is also very overrated. If the fight is going to be tough you are better off not using the -5+10, and the random bonus action is only a 3 average damage boost. Definitely not worth it.

Battlemaster is definitely the way to go. You have more options of who to hit generally and having great tricks to use with them is incredible. Throwing a d8/10/12 on a crit is also just awesome for your dpr(you decide to maneuver after you roll) I would definitely advocate the feat to give you more dice/maneuvers. Trip, Menacing, Commander's, Pushing, Riposte and Goading are all extremely useful.

For races, I went human but anything can work honestly, Goliath would be my pick if I could re-do, more defense and better offense always helps.

Some things to remember; Unless you prioritize con hard and get Defensive instead of GWF you are not a tank, you cannot take on all the damage, don't act like it. This just isn't a defensive build so bear that in mind. You also need to remember that you don't get an opportunity attack until they get 10' away from you, keep that in mind with your positioning. You don't have very good ranged or aoe abilities. Basically you have very good single-target damage and some combat tricks but you are very limited in your variety. This can be good or bad.

Ways to shore up your weaknesses;
-Multiclassing into Barbarian.
--2 Levels gets you 2 rages, reckless attacks and danger sense. Great value for survivability and offense. I did this and it has definitely payed off.
-Mc'ing into Ranger.
--Horde Breaker, Hunter's mark, Ensnaring Strike, Absorb Elements, all can help you deal with aoe and be more defensive/versatile.
--Downside is you have to worry about wis now.
-Mcing into Warlock
--Hex, the ice armor one, aoe cantrips and eldritch blast. 2 levels basically shore up most of your weaknesses plus if you go demon you get temp hp which is nice.
--Now you need a good cha(you can get inspiring leader if you do)
--This is the best option in my opinion now.

All in all this is a good build but not nearly as busted as it looks on paper.

<.< that wasn't concise at all, I would apologize but I'm never concise so meh.

Human Fighter:

It is unlikely that all humanoids are using magic weapons. The feat loses power then. Maybe a reaction by your DM because he was frustrated by your DR.
Still the benefit is good, since you gain +1 strength and save resources with point buy. You also just have to remember, it is just 7 hits at level 10 to make it as good as toughness. And it is more healing friendly.

Trancekat

First Post
So, I have a level 19 Fighter that uses a polearm, basically the build you are looking for, been playing him for a year and he is very good but I have learned a lot over the time with him. I'll try to be concise.
The feats I have; Polearm Master, Healer, Magic initiate, Great weapon Master, Sentinel, Heavy armor master, and defensive duelist.

First off, don't neglect your Con. My biggest regret is that +2 con that is still staring at me, at this point it means that it is very difficult for me to stay in the front lines for long without going down and I need to be very careful where and how I attack, I've even started using a sword and shield when I think the group needs more defense because I just get hit a ton.

Secondly, Sentinel is overrated. I very rarely get to use all or even part of that feat in a fight, when I do it's nice but usually it's a waste.
Great Weapon Master is also very overrated. If the fight is going to be tough you are better off not using the -5+10, and the random bonus action is only a 3 average damage boost. Definitely not worth it.

Battlemaster is definitely the way to go. You have more options of who to hit generally and having great tricks to use with them is incredible. Throwing a d8/10/12 on a crit is also just awesome for your dpr(you decide to maneuver after you roll) I would definitely advocate the feat to give you more dice/maneuvers. Trip, Menacing, Commander's, Pushing, Riposte and Goading are all extremely useful.

For races, I went human but anything can work honestly, Goliath would be my pick if I could re-do, more defense and better offense always helps.

Some things to remember; Unless you prioritize con hard and get Defensive instead of GWF you are not a tank, you cannot take on all the damage, don't act like it. This just isn't a defensive build so bear that in mind. You also need to remember that you don't get an opportunity attack until they get 10' away from you, keep that in mind with your positioning. You don't have very good ranged or aoe abilities. Basically you have very good single-target damage and some combat tricks but you are very limited in your variety. This can be good or bad.

Ways to shore up your weaknesses;
-Multiclassing into Barbarian.
--2 Levels gets you 2 rages, reckless attacks and danger sense. Great value for survivability and offense. I did this and it has definitely payed off.
-Mc'ing into Ranger.
--Horde Breaker, Hunter's mark, Ensnaring Strike, Absorb Elements, all can help you deal with aoe and be more defensive/versatile.
--Downside is you have to worry about wis now.
-Mcing into Warlock
--Hex, the ice armor one, aoe cantrips and eldritch blast. 2 levels basically shore up most of your weaknesses plus if you go demon you get temp hp which is nice.
--Now you need a good cha(you can get inspiring leader if you do)
--This is the best option in my opinion now.

All in all this is a good build but not nearly as busted as it looks on paper.

<.< that wasn't concise at all, I would apologize but I'm never concise so meh.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I really appreciate your insight!

My intent is to be an off-tank with good mobility/range to go to where I'm needed most (i.e. in case one of the squishies gets into trouble behind the line).

Based on your feedback, this is what I am considering to be the build to play in Adventurer's League. Open to comments/improvements/opinions from everyone:

LevelHuman2345678910111213141516
ClassPolearm Master

FighterSecond Wind, GWFAction SurgeArchtype: BM (Trip, Precision, Menacing)ASI: StrExtra AttackASI: ConKnow Your Enemy. (Goading, Riposte)ASI: Str

IndomitableSuperiority d10 (Disarming, Distracting)Extra AttackASI: Martial Adept (+1 Superiority Die)IndomitableASI: ??? (Durable? Lucky? Mobile? Com?)
Warlock

Patron, Pact Magic2 Invocations (Devil Sight, Repelling Blast)

AC17171717181818181818181818181818
HP142434445464748493102112122132142152162
Max Spell

Spells

1--------12222222
2----------------
3----------------
4----------------
5----------------
6----------------
7----------------
8----------------