[Jan 2015] What Are You Reading

delericho

Legend
Just noticed that nobody has started this month's thread...

I'm currently trying to avoid "Gone With the Wind" by reading other things first.

Thus far this year I've read "Palace of Fallen Stars" for Pathfinder and "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" for D&D. Truthfully, neither is a great adventure, though each has some things to recommend it. Oh, and I've also read the four Serenity graphic novels, which were distinctly mixed in quality.

I'm currently reading "War of the Roses: Stormbird" by Conn Iggulden, which is fun but definitely heavy on the historical fiction. And next up will be the latest Pathfinder Tale, "Pirate's Promise".

And then there will be no escaping GWtW...

carrot

Explorer
Just finished reading the last 2 books in the FR sundering arc. The Sentinel started well, but went downhill fast after around chapter 3 and didn't get any better. The Herald was just plain bad... But then that seems to be about standard for an Ed Greenwood these days. I don't know why I still bother!

Also just finished working through the Alex Versus novels by Benedict Jacka. Really enjoyed those - they are in a similar vein to the Dresden files.

Now onto Terry Goodkind's The legend of Magda Searus... so far it's ok...

carrot

Explorer
Heh - actually I quite liked Spellfire when I last read it... Admittedly that was 24 years ago, so I'd hope my book standards have improved since then :D

Jhaelen

First Post
Around the holidays I rediscovered Christopher Priest and bought several of his older novels. I started with "The Inverted World" which I just couldn't put down. It was almost perfect (except for the slightly unsatisfying closure).

After that I read "Coming Home" by Jack McDevitt which was a fun read like all of his novels, and now I'm in the middle of "Starhawk" from the same author.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm near the end of Simon Green's Agents of Light and Darkness, the second of his "Nightside" books. I have not read the first, and that's not much hindrance.

delericho

Legend
I don't think I can be bothered with a new thread...

I'm currently reading "War of the Roses: Stormbird" by Conn Iggulden, which is fun but definitely heavy on the historical fiction. And next up will be the latest Pathfinder Tale, "Pirate's Promise".

"Stormbird" was indeed fun. "Pirate's Promise" turned out to be the best Pathfinder Tale to date, and by quite a long way. This was a surprise, not least because I'd found the author's previous entry in the line somewhat underwhelming.

I'm currently trying to avoid "Gone With the Wind" by reading other things first.

I'm about a quarter of the way through this, and enjoying it a lot more than I expected.

Still, I'm taking a short break from it. I'm currently reading "Rise of Tiamat", and will then tackle "The Divinity Drive" (the latest Pathfinder AP, and the last volume in the Iron Gods path). I'm also hoping to read "The Secret History" and "The Long War" this month, but we'll see how far I get.

Remove ads