D&D 5E T1: The Village of Hommlet (OOC)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The Village of Hommlet has grown up around a crossroads in a woodland. Once far from any important activity, it became embroiled in the struggle between gods and demons when the Temple of Elemental Evil arose but a few leagues away. Luckily for its inhabitants, the Temple and its evil hordes were destroyed a decade ago, but Hommlet still suffers from incursions of bandits and strange monsters . . .

Welcome to my third attempt at an "Everything D&D Ever" campaign. This time around, I am taking it one adventure at a time, starting with T1. I'm also building the setting as we go, starting with Hommlet and spreading out from there.

There are a couple of basic assumptions about the setting...

The setting is intended to be a "mega-setting" with material from every published D&D setting in it eventually, introduced one module and supplement at a time. The foundation is built on - 1. The D&D 5th Edition core rules; 2. The original D&D game and its supplements; 3. Exodus, which you can read more about in another thread, elsewhere on this forum (though beware of spoilers about this setting's origins if you read up on Exodus).

There are no gods. The Church of the Healing Light is the dominant religion of the region and features a variety of Saints - Cuthbert, Pelor, Heironeous, and several others. The Church is headquartered in the City of Light, several weeks ride from Hommlet, but a temple dedicated to St. Cuthbert was recently completed in Hommlet. The Old Faith, whose priests are druids, was the major religion of the region until the Healing Light began converting people shortly after the Battle of Emridy Meadows 10 years ago, in which a massive army of humans and their allies defeated the hordes of humanoids gathered under the banner of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Legends speak of an ancient war between the human empire of Blackmoor and the elves. This occurred at least 10,000 years ago, maybe more. The many ruins dotting the region can be traced back to Blackmoor. Since that time, many other civilizations have risen and fallen, contributing to the ruins.

Hommlet is governed by a council of the most important individuals in the village - The village elder, the local druid, the canon of the temple of St. Cuthbert, the head of the village militia, and Burne and Rufus - semi-retired adventurers who settled in the village after the Battle of Emridy Meadows and have begun construction of a castle near the village. The village is suffering from a crisis of faith as many residents have converted to the Healing Light while others hold on to their belief in the Old Faith.

Player Characters should be created normally, using the point-buy method for ability scores and the starting equipment for your class and background. As the setting is fairly vague at the moment, consider first being a native of Hommlet, a visitor from elsewhere second. Although the majority of Hommlet's population is human, the Battle of Emridy Meadows brought a variety of races to the region, some of whom settled in Hommlet after the battle. Construction of Burne and Rufus's castle has also brought in workers from around the region, some of whom are also not human.

The posters tagged below were players in my previous attempt at "Everything D&D Ever" and have first dibs on player spots. I'm looking for a minimum of five players and a maximum of eight. Thanks for looking. :D
@mudbunny, @Kobold Stew, @Brother Dave, @Herobizkit, @sithramir, @Shayuri, @fireinthedust.

Last edited:

I'm very interested. Is this going to be just DnD 5E rules?

I will admit this would be my first 5E game, so if that is a potential detriment, I will understand.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Yes, we'll be using the 5th Edition rules. You can take a look at the basics here.

Once I find out who among the folks I tagged are interested in playing, you and any others who express interest will get the remaining spots. :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Done. :D Regarding the reserve list, go ahead and cook up a character and, even if you don't get in the initial group, you will get first dibs on replacement spots if someone drops out.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Haven't got any experience with 5th edition (yet), but seeing as how the Basic Rules are freely available, and my enjoyment of your other PbP game, I'm eager to put my name down on the list of players. It will take me perhaps a week to finish a character, if I make the cut of course. :D

Rubberneck

First Post
I'm interested. Maybe I can bring back Dur'dan 'Ironbeard' Kalaz. A Dwarven fighter fond of duel wielding Mithril Battle Axes. Some things might need to be scaled down ;)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yes. YES. Finally, something 5e. Sign me up.

Note that I've played the entirely of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (3.x), but it was over a decade ago. I have a few fond memories of that place but nothing spoiler-y... I don't think. :)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I'd like to redo the background for Kestrel to suit this campaign. I think it would be pretty easy to have her shadowy masters interested in something like 'elemental evil.' :)

Remove ads