Golden icon of Apet (in Chapter 9)

Elfshire

First Post
Spoilers inbound.

There's a brief mention in Chapter 9 that if the players are still holding onto any of the four Golden icons, they'll gain their Axis-island-only properties for a brief period. However, the Apet icon had no such ability listed, since there was pretty much no way for the heroes to discover that ability... until now.

So, is the Apet icon supposed to have another (hidden) benefit that never got mentioned?

While I'm at it, do the other Golden Icons ever appear in the AP? Are they all on the Island, or the ziggurats? I'm thinking I might come up with homebrew versions of some of the others, if only so a 5-constable party can each have one, if they choose.

The 'powered up' icons only get used for while, so I'm fine with them being overly strong. So Apet? Give it the same power of the Thing from Beyond. You're immune to attacks that originate more than 5 squares/25 feet away. (You treat them as infinitely far away, and they just never reach you.)

There'd be icons in each ziggurat (there's no ziggurat of Reida, though), and one for each plane is also located on Axis Island. They're not unique items, just ancient and exceedingly rare.

The Ob would have one or two of each of them. The easiest one for the players to find (before adventure 10 when most of them become useless) would be Av, since it's located in Risur (in the eastern Big Thicket). I haven't thought about what abilities it would have, but . . . as plane of life it would probably allow you to heal a little or purge negative conditions under normal circumstances. The 'powered up' version might grant regeneration . . . wait, that's abusive, unless you limit it like 'you have to have carried it for a day.' Otherwise teh PCs would just swap it. Hm.

hirou

Explorer
Perhaps a red herring, but is Green Knight somehow linked to Av powers? "Immortal unless in sunlight" can be read as "immortal while under the moon"

Mostly it's just that I'd reread Gawain and the Green Knight recently, and thought it made for an interesting boon to have a (near) unkillable bodyguard for the king. When I write up the Bonds of Forced Faith mini-adventure for the Kickstarter, a previous Green Knight is one of the pre-generated PCs. In the playtest she abused that power hard. "I grapple him and jump off the mountain," I believe was a valid tactic.

Remove ads