[OT] Short Story

Creamsteak

Explorer
The Story
Creamsteak and seven friends left school today, on an early out. We left for a local park, to play with some Frisbees, sticks, trees, and to generally act half our age for a few hours.

It was fun, goofing off in the normal manner. Some of us being more 'active' than others, who complained and sat out half the game, was a bit disappointing, but tolerable. We came there to have our fun, running 500 yards at a time to get from one side of the field to another. Everyone was having a good time, whether it be the game itself, or just being with friends.

Then problems began. Creamsteak and two of his more 'controlled' friends decided that we would act out some mock battles for the frozen creek in the park. Why exactly? Because we were acting half our age, as seemed fine at the time. Creamsteak and his 'controlled' friends are pretty good at avoiding any injury, and accepting a loss with a good strong death scream. What was really fun was the fact that most battles end with either the guy with the bigger stick touching the other guy, or with a rather simple disarm or, 'I give' being involved. But, of course, the others wanted to 'play'. It was playing, and it was dangerous, but it didn't seem like that bad of an idea.

It was creamsteak who, in an attempt to touch his opponents chest (since he was going a bit crazy), was wildly deflected by that crazy kid's stick. Deflected from his chest, up into his own face. He closed his eye in time, but this is why you shouldn't let people with an aggressive nature play aggressive games, they don't take good care of themselves. The problem was that this little incident, gradually (about 40 minutes) became a bigger issue in the eyes of the injured.

Creamsteak, luckily, was alerted that someone was about to 'hit him out of anger' with a big ol' stick on the back of the head. Creamsteak, being a bit dexterous, managed to put down the stick in his own hand and get out of the way a bit so as to present no hostility. The aggressor did that little 'pushing' thing with creamsteak, who simply moved the aggressors prior weapon away and told the aggressor "You don't really want to do this" and "Just stop it, you shouldn't be upset. Just calm down, don't be stupid."

Of course, being that creamy had treated the situation appropriately, the appropriate thing happened. The aggressor stopped being stupid, and after repeatedly being told, "I'm not going to hit you, I never meant to hurt you, you just need to relax" and having been a knocked a bit aback when his hand was grabbed by creamy and another friend, took the meaning of 'quit being stupid' and realized the problem. Of course, the aggressor, being afraid to just let things go, was a bit upset and had to go home, but the entirety was quite simple, anger was resolved with a little reasonable conversation.

I can thank two sources for being able to deal with this situation as such, being a DM, and being a JROTC cadet commander. The good guys definitely don't lose every-time. We win when it counts most. Of course, things could have gone a lot worse when people started playing in the frozen water... that could have gotten nasty so I stayed out of it just in case something would happen, but nothing did, so today I was [slang]definitely rolling above average[/slang]...

Sticks and stones may break my bones.....

I'm lost.

You believe problem solving abilities came from gaming? Suppose it would help...'course the idea of stick fights originated from gaming also

Creamsteak

Explorer
megamania said:
Sticks and stones may break my bones.....
You believe problem solving abilities came from gaming? Suppose it would help...'course the idea of stick fights originated from gaming also
Oh, you missed the hidden message... I should have been more clear. Large groups of guys always act half their age, and having dealt with a great deal of 'tough' situation in the CAP and in DMing for large groups of guys, I managed to circumvent a problem getting worse. And the stick fights are traditional for my old circle, you know, I only got into gaming 2 years ago? This is an old 'tradition' for my circle... it's just that most of the old circle guys have gone missing over the years, and now we have some rather nasty characters mixed in.

I am pretty sure this was the first step towards finally making a better friend out of the aggressive friend. It's one of those situations that helps to develop a bond and all that.

DDK

Banned
Banned
So let me get this straight... yer all muckin' around an' one guy gets hurt by accident and decides to get all serious and up in yer face about it and you call him stupid and that settles things?

I woulda just smacked him and THEN told him he's stupid :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think it's a great example, myself - it takes a person of strong character to know when they fouled up and what to do to make it right. I have tried all my life to have good "defusion" skills, and though I may not always succeed, most problems among friends or acquaintences can be worked out.

Remove ads