5E Edition Wars, WHY?
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    City of Sharn
    Posts
    4,769
    Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    KickstarterWorld of DarknessDC ComicsBirthright

    Block GMforPowergamers


    Friend+

    Edition Wars, WHY?

    I have noticed a trend, and it is very disheartening. Why do people who dislike something jump into threads to stop people from talking about it?

    This is the new face of edition wars... this week alone I have:

    1) been told 4e roles where made up only for 4e, and have no place in pre or post 4e discusions... in a thread asking about roles.

    2) been told the only way to play 4e is a way no fan of the system plays it (HP)

    3) been told that there is no place in D&D for my fav class

    4) been told that "real" D&D is not 4e...

    5) 5e is most likely failing

    6) True D&D is owned by piazo

    Now it would be bad enough if this was only this week, but in general I've found this form has become less and less friendly, and more and more adversarial.

    SO why is the edition wars heating up again?
    XP Scrivener of Doom gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Once A Fool SILVER DEFENDER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Rune's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berea, KY
    Posts
    3,683
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block Rune


    Friend+
    It's not just edition warring, though. It seems to be an instinctual impulse brought on by an increasing cynicism. And some people just like to threadcrap.

    The other day, I posted a thread asking for people to post a particular type of cool story (in a non-system-specific forum). To kick things off, I posted one of my own.

    Immediately, I found my DMing ability under assault by people inaccurately assuming facts not in evidence.

    For some reason, it was important to those posters to assume these facts in order to fill in the lack of details that had not been included because they were not relevant to the story!

    (Fortunately, further discussion has restored civility, but I do wonder why the initial impulse seems to be Attack!)

    There was an era when EN World was a refuge on the internet from that kind of behavior. Alas, no longer.
    Last edited by Rune; Tuesday, 20th January, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

  3. #3
    If you think something is edition warring, report the post. Creating threads like this I don't see any outcome other than more arguments.

    I am not a mod of course.

  4. #4
    Frazzled
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    36,428
    Reviews
    Read 24 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Block Morrus


    Friend+
    iOS vs. Android

    Marvel vs DC

    It happens with everything. I read up on some of the theories behind the psychology behind it; basically, if you invest in something, you need affirmation that you made the right choice. To that end, you'll actively persuade others that you made the right choice, and if they made a different choice then they made the wrong choice. The amount of emotion attached to these value judgements is, I agree, quite astonishing at times.

    One bizarre side-effect of it is that people also rush to ascribe such motives to others. If you mention their preferred brand, the kneejerk reaction is to accuse the speaker of an agenda. For example, I've been told I'm pro-4E, pro-5E, pro-WotC, anti-WotC, anti-Paizo, pro-Pathfinder, and a million other things. It's kinda silly, but confirmation bias will lead you to the most extra-ordinary conclusions.

    Hey, I'm as guilty as anyone. Maybe not with RPGs so much, but I've caught myself doing it with phone manufacturers or comic book companies.

    We wrote a song about it.

    Last edited by Morrus; Tuesday, 20th January, 2015 at 04:47 PM.
    XP GMforPowergamers, Ravenheart87, Ahrimon gave XP for this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    City of Sharn
    Posts
    4,769
    Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    KickstarterWorld of DarknessDC ComicsBirthright

    Block GMforPowergamers


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    It happens with everything. I read up on some of the theories behind the psychology behind it; basically, if you invest in something, you need affirmation that you made the right choice. To that end, you'll actively persuade others that you made the right choice, and if they made a different choice then they made the wrong choice. The amount of emotion attached to these value judgements is, I agree, quite astonishing at times.

    One bizarre side-effect of it is that people also rush to ascribe such motives to others. If you mention their preferred brand, the kneejerk reaction is to accuse the speaker of an agenda. For example, I've been told I'm pro-4E, pro-5E, pro-WotC, anti-WotC, anti-Paizo, pro-Pathfinder, and a million other things. It's kinda silly, but confirmation bias will lead you to the most extra-ordinary conclusions.

    Hey, I'm as guilty as anyone. Maybe not with RPGs so much, but I've caught myself doing it with phone manufacturers or comic book companies.
    best reply ever... I think this sums it up. It just seems like it used to be better around here... maybe that's just rose tinited glasses

  6. #6
    Frazzled
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    36,428
    Reviews
    Read 24 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Block Morrus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by GMforPowergamers View Post
    best reply ever... I think this sums it up. It just seems like it used to be better around here... maybe that's just rose tinited glasses
    It used to be much, much worse. Back when 4E was released it was really unpleasant. It's like a stroll in a nice garden in comparison now. Mainly because people became sick to death of the constant edition wars, every major forum banned them, communities started to recognise it and self-policed. These days, if I see edition warriors strutting their stuff, my first thought is "In 2015? Really, dude? Partying like it's 2008, eh?"
    XP Dausuul gave XP for this post
    Laugh Raith5 laughed with this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,240
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Kiraya_TiDrekan


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    It used to be much, much worse. Back when 4E was released it was really unpleasant. It's like a stroll in a nice garden in comparison now. Mainly because people became sick to death of the constant edition wars, every major forum banned them, communities started to recognise it and self-policed. These days, if I see edition warriors strutting their stuff, my first thought is "In 2015? Really, dude? Partying like it's 2008, eh?"
    It got pretty bad during the D&D Next playtest as well. What to include, what not to include, the infamous "damage-on-a-miss" debates that required an entire subforum. The playtest also seemed like it inspired a resurrection of all the older hot topics like alignment debates and such.

    Really, it seems to pop up whenever a new edition is on the horizon or just debuted. "hat of d02" anyone?

  8. #8
    Frazzled
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    36,428
    Reviews
    Read 24 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Block Morrus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiraya_TiDrekan View Post
    the infamous "damage-on-a-miss" debates that required an entire subforum.
    That was just one guy posting lots of threads. He got banned eventually.

  9. #9
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    488
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Nergal Pendragon


    Friend+
    One thing to keep in mind when discussing edition wars is you have to ask yourself if you are innocent of causing it or innocent of contributing to it.

    Sometimes, we are not aware we are contributing to it until after we take some time, think about it, and come back to look. That's part of why I take regular breaks from most discussions on this site; I'm taking time to reflect on my actions.

    One thing you can notice about those who do edition war is they often will mis-state what others have done when seeking sympathy. It's a sign to watch out for in oneself, which is why I tend to make it a point to try to back off a bit and get a clear head before discussing my role in multi-edition discussions. Sometimes, I have to admit that, even though I felt the aggrieved party, it was my fault. Sometimes, I see it wasn't, but that I should have recognized what was going on and backed out. It's a learning process, and one you go through your entire life.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nergal Pendragon View Post
    One thing you can notice about those who do edition war is they often will mis-state what others have done when seeking sympathy..
    Ding ding, we have a winner. I've seen it for fans of every edition, every hobby, every opinion.

    I know I'm not guilt free of this over the years, but I think a question that needs to be asked of oneself is, "If you're making a reply, can your argument stand on it's own without needing to modify what the other side had actually said?"

    Because if you're accusing one side of saying something that is used as the basis for your argument, I'd hope you can provide actual examples of what they said, rather than modifications that you might not have interpreted correctly.
    XP Nergal Pendragon, Ridley's Cohort, Celebrim gave XP for this post

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Edition Wars Does the edition you play really have an impact on the game?
    By terrya in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Tuesday, 14th February, 2017, 11:30 AM
  2. The end of all edition wars?
    By Jack99 in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Friday, 16th January, 2009, 10:39 PM
  3. Do you like edition wars?
    By Kzach in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Saturday, 10th January, 2009, 07:46 AM
  4. Edition Wars !?!?
    By LeStryfe79 in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Friday, 11th July, 2008, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •