5E Edition Wars, WHY? - Page 3
+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107
  1. #21
    Once A Fool SILVER DEFENDER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Rune's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berea, KY
    Posts
    3,696
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block Rune


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brennen View Post
    Myself, having played every edition except for the original boxed sets based on Chainmail, it's all D&D, reinterpreted by different authors like Dracula or Sherlock Holmes.
    I'm familiar with the Sherlock Holmes edition, but which edition of D&D did Dracula author?
    Full-time DM, Part-time Prep
    XP Jeremy E Grenemyer gave XP for this post
    Laugh Mark CMG, Grainger, TaiChara laughed with this post

  2. #22
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Sir Brennen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    1,930
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Sir Brennen


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I'm familiar with the Sherlock Holmes edition, but which edition of D&D did Dracula author?
    Not an entire edition, but Dracula added a new spin and flavor to his vision of the game via the Ravenloft module. Really just an ode to himself, he tried covering up his egotism by writing the module under, not one, but two pseudonyms - Tracy and Laura Hickman.
    Laugh aramis erak laughed with this post

  3. #23
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    488
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Nergal Pendragon


    Friend+
    One thing to keep in mind when discussing edition wars is you have to ask yourself if you are innocent of causing it or innocent of contributing to it.

    Sometimes, we are not aware we are contributing to it until after we take some time, think about it, and come back to look. That's part of why I take regular breaks from most discussions on this site; I'm taking time to reflect on my actions.

    One thing you can notice about those who do edition war is they often will mis-state what others have done when seeking sympathy. It's a sign to watch out for in oneself, which is why I tend to make it a point to try to back off a bit and get a clear head before discussing my role in multi-edition discussions. Sometimes, I have to admit that, even though I felt the aggrieved party, it was my fault. Sometimes, I see it wasn't, but that I should have recognized what was going on and backed out. It's a learning process, and one you go through your entire life.

  4. #24
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    113
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block ranger69


    Friend+
    Edition wars remind the of the furore that is created when a food or drink manufacturer change the recipe of a product.

    Really whatever edition of D&D you are playing is the right one for you if you are enjoying it.
    XP pukunui, painted_klown gave XP for this post

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Nergal Pendragon View Post
    One thing you can notice about those who do edition war is they often will mis-state what others have done when seeking sympathy..
    Ding ding, we have a winner. I've seen it for fans of every edition, every hobby, every opinion.

    I know I'm not guilt free of this over the years, but I think a question that needs to be asked of oneself is, "If you're making a reply, can your argument stand on it's own without needing to modify what the other side had actually said?"

    Because if you're accusing one side of saying something that is used as the basis for your argument, I'd hope you can provide actual examples of what they said, rather than modifications that you might not have interpreted correctly.
    XP Nergal Pendragon, Ridley's Cohort, Celebrim gave XP for this post

  6. #26
    Frazzled
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    36,625
    Reviews
    Read 24 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Block Morrus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    Ding ding, we have a winner. I've seen it for fans of every edition, every hobby, every opinion.

    I know I'm not guilt free of this over the years, but I think a question that needs to be asked of oneself is, "If you're making a reply, can your argument stand on it's own without needing to modify what the other side had actually said?"

    Because if you're accusing one side of saying something that is used as the basis for your argument, I'd hope you can provide actual examples of what they said, rather than modifications that you might not have interpreted correctly.
    It's a common debating tactic; it's the straw man fallacy. Happens everywhere.

  7. #27
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio,TX,USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    D&D

    Block Paraxis


    Friend+
    People are so short sighted when it comes to looking at themselves.

    I have seen someone posting in this very thread, accuse 4e of lots of things including not being D&D. Same person has told me to go play a different game or edition, because I have the gall to criticize things about the current edition. No version of anything is perfect, and there is always ways to improve, people make mistakes in game design, don't do the hard work, and it is fair to point it out when that happens. But it is just crazy that such an edition warrior is trying to convince himself and others that he is not in fact one himself.

    The best analogy I ever heard was D&D (or gaming in general) is like a road trip with friends. You might want certain features about the vehicle you take, things like satellite radio, mp3 player, dvd, convertible top, extra leg room, good gas milage, even color of paint and types of rims. Your friends along for the ride might all want different things than you do. The thing about road trips, is in the end it isn't the vehicle or the destination it is the people in the car with you. So it doesn't matter what edition you use, or the guys at the next table or in the next vehicle use, it is about the people you have fun with.

    I have played every edition of D&D, and many many more systems of table top rpgs over the last three decades. I have enjoyed all of it. I played both 4th edition and Pathfinder a bunch over the last 10 years, I play multiple games of 5e now, all are good, all are D&D.

    Saying that though doesn't mean I don't find glaring faults and issues with all these games.

    I love my kids, that doesn't mean when they make mistakes, do shoddy work, or just ignore things they have previously learned I should give them a pass. Those are my kids, and I still tell them what they do wrong and suggest ways to fix it. I only like D&D, so yeah I got no qualms about saying what I don't like about it.
    Last edited by Paraxis; Tuesday, 20th January, 2015 at 08:21 PM.

  8. #28
    Pathfinder subscriber COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    billd91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Verona, WI
    Posts
    9,961
    Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block billd91


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraxis View Post
    People are so short sighted when it comes to looking at themselves.

    <snip>

    The best analogy I ever heard was D&D (or gaming in general) is like a road trip with friends. You might want certain features about the vehicle you take, things like satellite radio, mp3 player, dvd, convertible top, extra leg room, good gas milage, even color of paint and types of rims. Your friends along for the ride might all want different things than you do. The thing about road trips, is in the end it isn't the vehicle or the destination it is the people in the car with you. So it doesn't matter what edition you use, or the guys at the next table or in the next vehicle use, it is about the people you have fun with.
    And others might say the same about you. After all, a lot of edition warring behavior has come from people belittling or dismissing other people's opinions, preferences, and concerns. The comment about road trips is dismissive of a lot of concerns that may come up on any particular road trip and ruin the experience for people under the blanket statement that "it's the people in the car with you". That's your opinion and reflects your values - but not everybody else's. I daresay that a substantial road trip with my best friends in Dave's old Brown Mech (yes, the car was named) would have been a terrible experience even though it would have been with friends (assuming anybody sitting in back didn't die of CO poisoning and the car's brakes functioned when needed - a dicey proposition).

    So it's not just about trashing an edition, even repeatedly. Hand in hand with an abundance of criticism, in the edition wars, is a lack of respect of differing opinions and perspectives. That's one area where, I think, people are particularly short-sighted when looking at themselves.

  9. #29
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    City of Sharn
    Posts
    4,805
    Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    KickstarterWorld of DarknessDC ComicsBirthright

    Block GMforPowergamers


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by billd91 View Post
    And others might say the same about you. After all, a lot of edition warring behavior has come from people belittling or dismissing other people's opinions, preferences, and concerns. The comment about road trips is dismissive of a lot of concerns that may come up on any particular road trip and ruin the experience for people under the blanket statement that "it's the people in the car with you". That's your opinion and reflects your values - but not everybody else's. I daresay that a substantial road trip with my best friends in Dave's old Brown Mech (yes, the car was named) would have been a terrible experience even though it would have been with friends (assuming anybody sitting in back didn't die of CO poisoning and the car's brakes functioned when needed - a dicey proposition).

    So it's not just about trashing an edition, even repeatedly. Hand in hand with an abundance of criticism, in the edition wars, is a lack of respect of differing opinions and perspectives. That's one area where, I think, people are particularly short-sighted when looking at themselves.
    I am a big man... over 350lbs. Me and two equal to larger size friends drove from CT on the east coast to Gen Con in a trans am with no back seat.... the con was great (it was the 90's in Milwaukee) and our first gen con... but I promise you if my choice was to repeat that ride or die in a flood... I would hold my breath as long as I could...

    I don't even know how we made it home...
    Laugh Lanefan laughed with this post

  10. #30
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio,TX,USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    D&D

    Block Paraxis


    Friend+
    See people do read into what others say while modifying it to fit what they think.

    I said "features" of the vehicle, what people are comparing it to is a death trap that should probably not be on the road at all, completely unsafe to be in. That is not what I said.

    You want everyone to have have a sense of safety and buy into the road trip or game, you shouldn't try and force your friends to get into a car they don't think will get them to the destination safely, just like you shouldn't try to get a 4e hater to play that game.

    All I was trying to say, is in the end it is the experience and the memories, not the type of seats or if the car was blue or red. I have good memories of every edition of D&D and sadly a few bad memories along the way too, most of that had far more to do with who I played with and not what edition we played.
    Last edited by Paraxis; Tuesday, 20th January, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
    XP SirAntoine gave XP for this post

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Edition Wars Does the edition you play really have an impact on the game?
    By terrya in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Tuesday, 14th February, 2017, 11:30 AM
  2. The end of all edition wars?
    By Jack99 in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Friday, 16th January, 2009, 10:39 PM
  3. Do you like edition wars?
    By Kzach in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Saturday, 10th January, 2009, 07:46 AM
  4. Edition Wars !?!?
    By LeStryfe79 in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Friday, 11th July, 2008, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •