D&D 5E Edition Wars, WHY?

was

Adventurer
I agree with you in theory.

The problem is the larger community. If you enter Wizard's forums you'll find that daring to not allow something from 4th edition leads to a large amount of attacks, and people posting about how they PM'd the community manager a list of people that should be banned for being "Bad community members". All of this after all of the 4th edition fans spent years telling everyone that if they didn't like a 4th edition feature they could just ignore it in 5th edition.

..I left the Wizards boards in 2004, right after I joined this one, due to a lack of adequate moderation and a high number of immature posters. I'm very sorry to hear that problem has yet to be resolved.

It leaves me with a choice, support 4th edition in 5th edition and spend years taking abuse for daring to exclude a 4th edition feature in my games, or oppose 4th edition in 5th edition and eventually that group will no longer be around to toss out abuse. It's a no brainer.

So basically, where I'm going with this is: This won't work until forums start shutting down those who feel not using something from 4th edition is cause to attack. I really don't think there's anyone who cares if WOTC releases a book designed to approximate 4th edition with 5th, I think all of the friction starts with the insistence that we use it or we're horrible people who should never be allowed to play D&D. Which is pretty much what the official Dungeons and Dragons forums consist of today.

...I hope that you find a more understanding refuge on this board. I know that I have.

I have noticed a trend, and it is very disheartening. Why do people who dislike something jump into threads to stop people from talking about it?

This is the new face of edition wars... this week alone I have:

Now it would be bad enough if this was only this week, but in general I've found this form has become less and less friendly, and more and more adversarial.

SO why is the edition wars heating up again?
Generic tribalism.

People have a choice. They make their choice. They now have to validate that choice to themselves by praising their option and denigrating the option they did not take.
It's exactly the same for game consoles, sports teams, science fiction franchise, and a million other things.

dream66_

First Post
Above a certain size, you start stumbling across people who have been posting for years who you never saw before.

I've been here off and on since Eric ran the place, and the edition wars was between 2e and 3.0.... and I constantly feel like an outsider.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I agree with you in theory.

The problem is the larger community. If you enter Wizard's forums you'll find that daring to not allow something from 4th edition leads to a large amount of attacks, and people posting about how they PM'd the community manager a list of people that should be banned for being "Bad community members". All of this after all of the 4th edition fans spent years telling everyone that if they didn't like a 4th edition feature they could just ignore it in 5th edition.

It leaves me with a choice, support 4th edition in 5th edition and spend years taking abuse for daring to exclude a 4th edition feature in my games, or oppose 4th edition in 5th edition and eventually that group will no longer be around to toss out abuse. It's a no brainer.

So basically, where I'm going with this is: This won't work until forums start shutting down those who feel not using something from 4th edition is cause to attack. I really don't think there's anyone who cares if WOTC releases a book designed to approximate 4th edition with 5th, I think all of the friction starts with the insistence that we use it or we're horrible people who should never be allowed to play D&D. Which is pretty much what the official Dungeons and Dragons forums consist of today.

I understand what you mean, but the solution is to just post what you want and stay positive.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I have noticed a trend, and it is very disheartening. Why do people who dislike something jump into threads to stop people from talking about it?

This is the new face of edition wars... this week alone I have:

1) been told 4e roles where made up only for 4e, and have no place in pre or post 4e discusions... in a thread asking about roles.

2) been told the only way to play 4e is a way no fan of the system plays it (HP)

3) been told that there is no place in D&D for my fav class

4) been told that "real" D&D is not 4e...

5) 5e is most likely failing

6) True D&D is owned by piazo

Now it would be bad enough if this was only this week, but in general I've found this form has become less and less friendly, and more and more adversarial.

SO why is the edition wars heating up again?

I think you're over-reacting. You'd have to flesh out these examples more, but at least in the first case, you make a connection between saying the 4e roles were made for 4e and saying there is no place for them in pre or post 4e discussions. Maybe there was no such intent.

I think you're over-reacting. You'd have to flesh out these examples more, but at least in the first case, you make a connection between saying the 4e roles were made for 4e and saying there is no place for them in pre or post 4e discussions. Maybe there was no such intent.

In all fairness and speaking as someone who argued with GMforPowergamers on the topic number 1 came from, I do not believe GM is overreacting.

Remove ads