Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

JesterOC

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

Solid rule system, a refinement of the original Dragon AGE RPG.Artwork is good overall, with a few standout pieces good and bad.Numerous typos that should have been fixed, feels like it needed one more pass by an editor before shipping.The only problem I have with it is since it is trying to be a generic fantasy RPG, they make it difficult to create a generic Fantasy Cleric (Well armored, Spell user). Could have been fixed by a War Priest Specialization.

Waller

Legend
2 out of 5 rating for Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

Holy moly. It's not a bad system, but this book is littered with typos and typesetting issues. Whoever did the editing and whoever did the layout really rushed the job. Even the character sheet spells Intelligence as "Intellergence". Random typesetting inconsistencies - bold, not bold - makes this thing a mess. I really want to like it. But the editing and layout issues are terrible. Hopefully a future edition will fix them. It feels like the whole editing stage was missed.

darkmoonrising

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

I love the Dragon Age game, so it is no surprise that this game appeals to me also.Positives: There are a number of enhancements from Dragon Age. Great generic fantasy system that should suit multiple styles of play. Combat and Spell stunts give interesting choices in combat. Monsters are well handled and the new special abilities, while a short list, gives easy ways to modify monsters in interesting ways. Negatives: Not enough Specializations and Aracana (for Mage spells), but this can easily be rectified with a Companion down the track. I've seen comments about the many typos, I can't say I've been bothered by them myself but something for potential buyers to decide if that is an issue. Personally I really like the system and welcome it as a new generic fantasy system that is more toned down than 5E (much as I like that system also).

The rating is for content of the game only. There are some typos and other minor issues. Having never played Dragon Age, this was my first exposure to the system; and for what I was looking for out of a new game system, it is perfect. Light enough and free form enough to play a lot of different ideas, and having just enough weight to give that meaning, it is a great system for those that make their own settings, and don't mind tinkering a little if they like. I read the rules on a Thursday, and was GMing the wife Friday night in a completely home made world. It being a simple and stripped down system, others may not find enough to it, or find it missing things, but for what I was after, it was perfect. 5 out of 5 for me.

Plageman

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

The game system is great but the class progression get boring from level 11 onward. While I like the concept of the backgrounds I think that I preferred how Dragon Age combined Races and Cultural origin. I'm also not impressed by the "new" magic system as I hoped to have a more free approach on spell selection.Also a another poster said there is no easy way to play an armored spellcaster from star (as in the classic Paladin or Cleric).It's nothing I can't handle with a some house rules.Overall it's a good system that I will certainly tweak a bit and run once I'm done with my 5E campaign.

kalil

Explorer

A very nice rule system, and one that lends itself well to be tweaked for different settings. The character creation is based around race, background and class. Available classes and backgrounds are what you would expect. The magic system is fairly open and allows you to combine a number of arcanas to tailor your mage while maintaining a clear identify. Weapons include primitive firearms and grenades in additon to normal fantasy weapons.

3 out of 5 rating for Fantasy AGE Core Rulebook

I didn't like the book. From a design point of view, I don't understand how we can have random racial traits. The spells are somewhat lackluster compared to the magic points you have to use.

I'm giving it a 3 out of 5 because of the production values (even though there's a lot of typos).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases