"Alternative lifestyles" in your campaign world

boxstop7

First Post
I'm considering adding an additional element in my FR capaign: same-sex relationships. I'm interested b/c I think the game world is becoming cliche, and this is one way to spice things up and add a little diversity. This is a subject that (to my knowledge) has not been extensively covered. After reading through Kilmore's post on ethnic groups, I think this can be handled maturely.

What I'm seeking: Have you implemented this aspect of life into your campaigns? If so, how did it go? Does anyone have any indication (or inclination) as to how this subject might be handled in the FR?

What I don't want: Any flaming, gay-bashing, gay jokes or a debate on the morality or "correctness" of homosexuality. This isn't a discussion of the topic itself, it's a question as to how one would implement such a delicate topic into a game world.

Thank you in advance for any help with this matter. This could also be quite touchy, folks. Let's try to handle this with some dignity and class. Thanks again...:)

~Box

Fenes 2

First Post
Well, in my forgotten realms campaign, Chessenta is modelled after old greek, and homosexuality, or rather bisexuality is accepted and widespread, as is a passion about everything martial. Other than that gay and lesbian people are around just as in our world, but might be hidden depending on the culture or region.

As far as official sources go, according to the FRCS one town in the western heartlands is ruled by a woman whith a female consort.

Voadam

Legend
For implementing it you have a couple options.

1 It is just there in the world and nobody thinks it is odd. A background diversity issue like gender and racial equality.

2 Different cultures and religions have different attitudes about it some accepting, some condemning.

3 Universally disapproved and marginalized.

It depends on what you want story wise from this cultural backdrop of attitudes.

Volaran

First Post
In the campaign world I play in, it varies from region to region, but among the sentient races, it is exclusively a trait that shows up among humans. I don't recall if our DM has mentioned why precisely, but I sort of assume it is part of humanity's only consistent trait being diversity.

As for acceptance by region, it varies from a culture. We have a region with a similar view of relationships between the sexes to ancient Sparta...or at least what our DM knows of it, areas where it is known and quietly ignored, and areas where it is not common, then at least a non-issue.

When the subject has come up, I think our DM has always handled it in a mature manner.

Erithtotl

First Post
How exactly do you 'implement' such a thing? It's not like it needs a ruleset or anything else, either you have gay people or you don't. It's not like there's a Homosexual class. Seems simple.

Many players are either uncomfortable or unable to play a gay character, and I don't think there's any reason to force one to. And frankly, most straight people would probably play a gay character as a flaming stereotype anyway.

I've played in some games with people who are still relatively homophobic, though maybe not explicitly. Gays usually end up being comic relief.

If your players are mature and so are you as far as handling such a thing, thats fine, but I doubt you'll find many straight players who want to 'role play' a relationship with a gay character.

Last edited:

boxstop7

First Post
Okay...I guess I really should clarify. My apologies.

I'm thinking of introducing the topic by way of an NPC asking the party to find out what happened to his companion. He's gone off investigating something that's been going on, and hasn't been in touch. This is very unlike him and has caused the NPC to worry that something bad may have happened. Up to this point, homosexuality has never been addressed in this campaign. Really, it's just a different way to address the old "my husband/son/daughter/etc went off and we never heard from him/her again". I just thought the twist on the relationship could be a fresh change in the campaign.

I'm off to take an exam right now. If anyone needs more information, I'll be back later this afternoon. Thank you so much for the input thus far.

~Box

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Already a part of the FRCS, pg 143 on an entry concerning a town on the Dragon Coast (population 9,700): [the boldface emphasis below is mine]

"Eversult is the least Dragon Cost-ish city on the Dragon Cost. Its present ruler, a former adventure named Yanseldarar (NG female human fighter 11/sorc 8 ) led a brilliant rebellion against the previous necromantic regime. Centuries of smuggling and intriuge cannot be undone in a decade, but those seeking dishonest deals now think twice before taking their buisness to Yanseldara's city, particularly since she leaves law enforcement to her consort and adventuring companion, Vaerana Hawklyn (CG female human ranger 20)"

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
boxstop7 said:
Okay...I guess I really should clarify. My apologies.

Well, I read your clarification, but I'm still with Erithtotl. What is there to implement? Either introduce that scenario, or don't. You know your players, not us. They might shrug and get on with it, or complain and wreck the whole scenario.

I game with all guys - and I know them - so I wouldn't consider this. However, we do have female/female relationships because, uh..., we're guys. :p

I all depends on how comfortable your group is. Other than that, there is nothing to implement - there either are or aren't.

Breakdaddy

First Post
I agree with the consensus, if you want to implement it, just do it. A cautionary note however: I tried to approach this topic in-game in a similar fashion, and it caused enough disruption of the game that I dropped it entirely. I gamed with 5 guys and 2 gals at the time, and when I introduced a gay character in a mature and non comical manner, it floated like a brick with um, a brick attached to it. When I asked my players why they had such reservations, the consensus seemed to be something along the lines of "If we wanted to deal with real world issues as such, we would jsut go live our lives and not game". This is the short version obviously and probably not as well-stated as Id like, but Im working and a bit busy so it will have to do. Bottom line: Make sure your group is ready to deal with RW issues you insert into your campaign, or it *will* disrupt your game.

Voadam

Legend
The implementation issues are how is homosexuality considered in the campaign world or at least in the immediate setting. Are they burned at the stake, shunned, thought different but accepted, or accepted as no big deal. The PCs might ask what does my Lathander religion say on this issue? What is the Sune firehair religious viewpoint.

Also, think about how your group will react, are they themselves homophobic and to what degree.

The default I would assume would be that it is no big deal in the realms. But there could be all sorts of other ways to implement it for story reasons.

Remove ads