D&D 5E 5E: Whips?

RCanine

First Post
Guys, remember that you don't need to have two light weapons to dual-wield, just to two-weapon fight. Having a whip in one hand and another weapon in the other should let you take OAs from something leaving either 5 or 10 ft range from you; that's a lot of added control.

Also, a whip is only -2 damage per attack so it's not *that* weak. I'd recommend giving it a shot. Only in the most murderhoboy of games will you miss two damage.

Ive found a decent build that utilizes the whip whip's capabilities. It requires the Sword coast to be effective because of the wizard archtype Bladesinger, which at level two allows them to gain proficiency in any one handed weapon. Using this combined with the cantrip also in Sword Coast, booming blade, You can hit someone from ten feet away, deal an extra 1d8 damage immediately, and then when they try to move into attacking range they suffer another 1d8 damage
Don't you need to be a sorceror to boost the range of the cantrip to 10ft?

Tompa974

Villager
I'm doing a kensei monk with whips. Suddenly the whips damage will go up a long with your martial arts die.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mochan

Villager
Whips are awesome. Use with Spell Sniper, Booming Blade and Sneak Attack to deal massive damage. Easier to proc OAs with your reach, and enemies you hit with the reach need to move in to attack you, proccing Thunder Damage.

An Arcane Trickster with the Booming Blade cantrip can deal 1d4 + 1d8 + 3d6 + 2d8 + Dex at Level 5, and do it again on an OA with War Caster.

Then you have all the non combat uses.

Last edited:

thethain

First Post
Keep in mind Whip may not work for Dual-Wielding bonus attack, but it doesn't mean it isn't worth having a rapier in one hand and whip in the other. Because it means you can get opportunity attacks at 5 or 10 feet. It also means you can attack and retreat in relative safety. Basically a whip is a really good backup weapon to have for odd scenarios. It allows you reach with a 1h weapon, CAN use dex (but can also use str) and is lightweight. It also will function as a backup rope for tying someone up if needed.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Whips are awesome. Use with Spell Sniper, Booming Blade and Sneak Attack to deal massive damage. Easier to proc OAs with your reach, and enemies you hit with the reach need to move in to attack you, proccing Thunder Damage.

An Arcane Trickster with the Booming Blade cantrip can deal 1d4 + 1d8 + 3d6 + 2d8 + Dex at Level 5, and do it again on an OA with War Caster.

Then you have all the non combat uses.

Does Booming Blade give you proficiency in Whips?

If not, Hobgoblin I presume?

Remove ads