3.5e Suggestion Addition

Archer

First Post
I think quirks should be added for every level you don't get a feat ie 2,4,5,7,8 etc. If you looked at Dragon 305 in the Faith and Honor article they present new "feats" that really should use the quirk mechanic. Would this be too much of a change from 3rd Ed? This would help solve the ongoing problem between powergamer player and "roleplayers" Players could spend their quirks on character defining items and the feats on real ability granting items. Quirks would be something you could safely ignore if you wanted to stick strictly to the 3rd edition rules treating quirks as feats as they are now.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Coud you give an example of one of these 'quirks'? Would they be optional or not? If not, they would make generating NPC's an INCREDIBLE pain in the butt. If they were optional - Well, they'd be a rather interesting idea. Perhaps you could offer one for us to build off of, a format and a standard of potency?

DDK

Banned
Banned
The only quirks 'mechanic' I know of, exists in GURPS where it is basically something too minor to be taken as a full-blown disadvantage. Some ones off the top of my head are Congenial (a bit TOO friendly... the huggy-type) and dislikes (dislikes being around smokers, dislikes chewing gum, dislikes hot weather, that sort of thing).

But that was part of an advantages/disadvantages system where quirks were -1 point disadvantages so how they could be incorporated as compulsory, level-based abilities, I have no idea.

Zappo

Explorer
If these "quirks" only have roleplaying effects, it would be fine. Actually, it would be a cool idea; players would be encouraged to detail their character as it progresses.

If some of them offered mechanical advantages, though, it would be a bad idea because it would further enlarge the power disparity between roleplayers who chose the flavor ones and powergamers who chose the mechanical ones.

Vaxalon

First Post
Why should people accumulate quirks as they go up in level?

Instead, make each player give their character five quirks at creation, then make them REPLACE one quirk at each non-feat level, to reflect the change and growth that comes with experience.

Felon

First Post
Ah yes, I can just see a list of my PC's quirks now:

Mongo Deathsmash:
Quirk #1: Likes killing his enemies.
Quirk #2: Likes treasure, preferrably treasure belonging to enemies that he has killed.
Quirk #3: Catchphrase: "Mongo smash you dead, enemy!"
Quirk #4: Dislikes having more than 3 quirks; thinks they are "rilly stoopid" and believes the person who decided they should be foisted upon PC's is his enemy.

DDK

Banned
Banned
Vaxalon said:
Why should people accumulate quirks as they go up in level?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Vaxalon said:
Instead, make each player give their character five quirks at creation, then make them REPLACE one quirk at each non-feat level, to reflect the change and growth that comes with experience.
That could work. Although... if we're going to go down that route, then it should probably move over to House Rules... don't you hate that :D

Ah yes, I can just see a list of my PC's quirks now:

Originally posted by Felon
Mongo Deathsmash:
Quirk #1: Likes killing his enemies.
Quirk #2: Likes treasure, preferrably treasure belonging to enemies that he has killed.
Quirk #3: Catchphrase: "Mongo smash you dead, enemy!"
Quirk #4: Dislikes having more than 3 quirks; thinks they are "rilly stoopid" and believes the person who decided they should be foisted upon PC's is his enemy.
ROFL! Ah yes, the sign of a true rollplayer :)

Remove ads