Spot

Hawkeye

First Post
Since PCs generally don't get Scent, could Spot be used in its place to notice things like the slight scent of smoke that might indicate a village under attack from marauders or a distant forest fire? Either of which may spur the PCs into action or retreat. I know Spot is pirmarily listed as using visual clues and more of a passive ability, but I was just looking for an opinion.

Hawkeye

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i usually use a Wisdom check as an 'awareness' roll to notice things not covered by Spot or Listen. in the case of noticing a fire, i'd modify the DC based on things like: if the PCs are upwind or downwind of the fire, weather conditions, and so on

Last edited:

Murrdox

First Post
For lack of a better skill, I too have used "spot" for scents.

Most of the time, however, I rely on skills related to the scents. For something common like "smoke" spot is good enough.

If the characters are walking on a footbridge over a huge pool of acid - they're ALL going to smell something, but I make them make an alchemy check to identify what the heck it is that's burning their nostrils.

I think the game assumes that since humans (and similar races) don't have highly developed senses of smells, then smells need to be pretty powerful to be detected. Basically, either the smell is strong enough to be detected, or it isn't... there's no check involved to see if you can successfully "smell" something. I don't use scent that often, but when I do, it's usually a matter of the characters trying to identify what they're smelling, than the fact that they smell something in the first place.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I use Spot for detecting scents.

An elf gets a +2 bonus to Listen checks because of his keen ears.

An elf gets a +2 bonus to Spot checks because of his keen senses. Senses, plural. Nowhere in the Spot skill description does it say it's limited to visual perception.

-Hyp.

Hawkeye

First Post
Reading the description of Spot, it seems to indicate a isual component versus other senses. Are you saying that you would only give a -1 Spot check on someone trying to Taste something from 10 feet away? Has this be errat'd? I am going off of my copy of the PHB. I don't minbd using it for other senses and in fact would, but by a strict reading of the skill description it seems to only be a vsiual base skill. If not, why do some creatures also have Scent?

Regarding seeing the fire. If you are in a dense forest, you may not be able to see the flames through the trees, but you may be able to smell the moske miles from the source. For example, if you have people in your neighborhood that burns leaves during the fall. You might not be able to see the fire, but the smoke may drift over the entire nieghborhood for hours.

Hawkeye

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Sure, make spot even stronger. Did you allow dexterity to modify Thac0 in 2e as well?

edit: I am not actually adding something constructive with that, so I will add that Wisdom covers general perception, as is distillable from the SRD:

"Any creature that can perceive its environment in any fashion has at least 1 point of Wisdom."

Rav

Last edited:

Hawkeye

First Post
As a matter of fact we did use Dex to modify THAC0 in 2ed, for missle weapons, just like the rules called for. :b

Hawkeye

Spelling

Last edited:

grep

First Post
I wouldn't make it a spot check. Spot is with your eyes, not your nose. Make it an untrained wisdom check. If your characters really want to be good at smelling things, I would reccomend a "smell" ability, akin to spot and listen.

Remove ads