D&D 5E Options for the best archers

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hey guys. I have been thinking about building an archery based character for an upcoming game. We will start at first level.

I have a few ways to go, and a few ideas. Please let me know what you think.

First, allow me to start with a question though: In a Fighter build, where all weapons are available, what's a better weapon, a Longbow or a Crossbow (and why)?

Anyway, what I think will end up being the most powerful, is the Fighter build. Most number of attacks, tons of versatility (choose any target and get the same damage, if a bow isn't optimal, will still be good with any weapon). With the Sharpshooter feat, the damage can really add up when you get more attacks than anybody. While you'll probably have a high DEX stat, you do have the option to wear heavy armor if you want to.

There's also Rogue builds. They can't use the Heavy Crossbow or the Long Bow (unless you choose to be an Elf, which is a pretty darn good choice). These guys can get sneak attacks in quite often. That will add up to quite a bit of damage. Unfortunately, you won't always be able to make a sneak attack roll, and sometimes you'll have to choose between a sneak attack or a regular attack against an opponent you'd rather attack.

I suppose one could choose a Ranger as well, as they can choose the Archery fighting style at 2nd level. I have very little experience with Rangers and can't really make an assessment.

The one thing I think I'll say is this: should I decide to make my archer a Rogue, I think I'll be dipping into Fighter for at least one level (or Ranger for two). That +2 to hit is pretty big, especially when your first feat just has to be Sharpshooter. You have to help offset that -5 to hit in any way you can.

What do you guys think makes the best archer? What is a better weapon for an archer, the crossbow or longbow?

Gecko85

Explorer
I have a half-elf archer bard that I like. Started with crossbow but switched to bow at 3rd level when I took the school of valor, which gave me more weapon proficiencies (including longbow), as well as medium armor. At 6th level I'll get an extra attack. At 10th level I can choose a 5th level (or lower) spell from any class...which gives me the possibility of spell-enhanced 4 attack per round. ;) So, I'm a pretty darned good archer who has some decent spells and buffs, including Bardic Inspiration and Combat Ispiration. So far it's been a really fun character. My high charisma (thanks to half-elf racial trait) makes me the party leader.

Herr der Qual

First Post
I'm probably the only person that will throw this build at you, but here ya go:

Human or Wood-Elf Barbarian

at third level take the Totem Warrior path, select the Eagle totem powers at each totemic power selection.

As a Barbarian archer, you will have your Dex and Con pumped, with Unarmored defense that means you can have a relatively high AC without wearing armor no disadvantage on stealth rolls, perfect for you to sneak into the trees or around the enemy to set up an ambush. You get the biggest hit die of any class so you can still stand up to a little punishment and with rage, despite a somewhat neglected Str stat (don't dump it), you can still do decent melee damage in tight combat. If you need an AC bump you can use a shield without losing your unarmored defense.

-Argument for human: Feat, Crossbow expert or sharpshooter, the reality is, you don't need either of them, particularly not at first level.

-Argument for Wood Elf: Dex and Wis bump (good perception good for archer), Trained with a bow, even though as Barbarian you can use them anyway, Fleet of foot, extra 5 feet of movement in a class that gains another 10 feet, that gives you a big advantage for moving away from hostiles or into better position, Mask of the Wild, you can hide anywhere with only being lightly obscured, again perfect for an archer.

By taking the eagle powers, the first one allows you to impose disadvantage on attacks of opportunity from movement, so you can escape melee combat with a lower likelihood of being hit, second improvement your eyesight becomes insanely powerful including no disadvantage at dusk and seeing fine detail out to 1 mile, at 14th level you can fly 45 - 90 feet on your turn, to give yourself high ground so you can only be targeted by other ranged attacks.

Added bonus: Enter a rage to take half damage, but by being a barbarian you can melee with the best of them, without compromising being an amazing archer of stealthy awesomeness. Also, bonus points, unique build.

Edit: Longbow, all day, you don't need to take a feet to be super useful, crossbow's eat your move action to reload, and further range, I believe. Really just a better weapon.

Last edited:

Coredump

Explorer
I wanted an archer... I decided on a Ranger/Rogue build. I am heading to Ranger5/Rogue5. Every level is something good. It was a toss up between Human with Sharpshooter and Wood elf. I went human, and I am glad. The -5/+10 is neat, but I really like the extra range and cancel cover.

Rogue gives +3d6 SA and cunning action.
Ranger gives LBow, Archery style, extra attack, and either collosus slayer or horde breaker (another toss up.)

If I get to 11th level, not sure what to do... still thinking about it.

Crossbow Expert would let you switch to heavy crossbow for extra damage, or handbow for an extra attack... but I want to stick with Longbow. (plus, I don't like the 'no disadvantage in melee rule)

Gecko85

Explorer
The -5/+10 is neat, but I really like the extra range and cancel cover.
Question about sharpshooter, since I'll be 4th level soon and can choose a feat if I want. I was initially considering sharpshooter, but wonder how useful it is in actual play. How often do you get to take advantage of the extra range? Longbow has such a long standard range, I can't think of many times you'd need or even be able to go beyond that...particularly when you consider visibility. So, has it been useful for you?

Herr der Qual

First Post
It greatly depends on you DM's style. How often do you spot enemies before they ambush you? Do you often see things far off? Do you generally get in combat indoors or outdoors? If most encounters are outdoors then it's very useful.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm probably the only person that will throw this build at you, but here ya go:

Human or Wood-Elf Barbarian

at third level take the Totem Warrior path, select the Eagle totem powers at each totemic power selection.

As a Barbarian archer, you will have your Dex and Con pumped, with Unarmored defense that means you can have a relatively high AC without wearing armor no disadvantage on stealth rolls, perfect for you to sneak into the trees or around the enemy to set up an ambush. You get the biggest hit die of any class so you can still stand up to a little punishment and with rage, despite a somewhat neglected Str stat (don't dump it), you can still do decent melee damage in tight combat. If you need an AC bump you can use a shield without losing your unarmored defense.

-Argument for human: Feat, Crossbow expert or sharpshooter, the reality is, you don't need either of them, particularly not at first level.

-Argument for Wood Elf: Dex and Wis bump (good perception good for archer), Trained with a bow, even though as Barbarian you can use them anyway, Fleet of foot, extra 5 feet of movement in a class that gains another 10 feet, that gives you a big advantage for moving away from hostiles or into better position, Mask of the Wild, you can hide anywhere with only being lightly obscured, again perfect for an archer.

By taking the eagle powers, the first one allows you to impose disadvantage on attacks of opportunity from movement, so you can escape melee combat with a lower likelihood of being hit, second improvement your eyesight becomes insanely powerful including no disadvantage at dusk and seeing fine detail out to 1 mile, at 14th level you can fly 45 - 90 feet on your turn, to give yourself high ground so you can only be targeted by other ranged attacks.

Added bonus: Enter a rage to take half damage, but by being a barbarian you can melee with the best of them, without compromising being an amazing archer of stealthy awesomeness. Also, bonus points, unique build.

Edit: Longbow, all day, you don't need to take a feet to be super useful, crossbow's eat your move action to reload, and further range, I believe. Really just a better weapon.

That is a solid build!

Coredump

Explorer
Question about sharpshooter, since I'll be 4th level soon and can choose a feat if I want. I was initially considering sharpshooter, but wonder how useful it is in actual play. How often do you get to take advantage of the extra range? Longbow has such a long standard range, I can't think of many times you'd need or even be able to go beyond that...particularly when you consider visibility. So, has it been useful for you?

Well... it will depend on your DM and the type of campaign. I have used it a few times, but I have really enjoyed it when I did. Being able to hit a fleeing bad guy, or someone 500' away that feels they are 'safe'... way fun for me.

But the ignore cover is probably the more 'useful' ability, and of course the -5/+10 is handy for targets that are easy to hit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases