D&D 5E Options for the best archers

Paraxis

Explorer
With two levels of rogue for cunning action disengage, or the crossbow expert feat there is nothing to worry about while in melee combat, besides the guys trying to hit you, but everyone worries about that.

Coredump

Explorer
True but it makes them more versatile because it means that even without a stacked Str your not completely useless in situations where you aren't/can't use your bow. I've played a few archers and never gotten away from down and dirty melee combat, you then get to make up that 2 points of damage by ramping up your dex (which also boosts your AC)

My archer has a rapier, he does just fine in melee. If I was concerned, I could also pick up a shield.

Since I am going ranger and rogue... Cunning Action means I can just move away and shoot. (And the SA dice help too...)

Coredump

Explorer
What's so great about Crossbow Expert?

Isn't a longbow better overall, and doesn't require a feat to catch up?

Or am I missing a way to abuse crossbow expert? :p

Well, it partly depends on how your group interprets the relevant rules.

Mostly the benefit comes down to getting an extra attack, which is always handy.

Some folks rule that you can use dual handbows simultaenously
Some folks rule that you can take all of the shots with the same handbow.
Some folks rule that you can take all of the shots with the same handbow, and benefit from a shield in the other hand.

Then add in how you can now be 5' from a bad guy, and still shoot just fine.

Herr der Qual

First Post
Since I am going ranger and rogue... Cunning Action means I can just move away and shoot. (And the SA dice help too...)

Yes, but you're multiclassing which means that you need to be fourth level before you get a lot of the base perks, which also cramps the speed you pick up SA dice, the Barbarian can also pick up a shield without compromising unarmored defense, and will prevent you from achieving the best perks of each class if you make it to 20th Level. I'm not saying in any way shape or form that the Barbarian is the best archer, it's a build that was built with heavy melee combat in mind, rage is a power that was designed to be the friend of a tank, however by going into a rage you get to halve the damage of melee attacks, as you level up you become resistant to more types of damage. I'm just saying it has the potential to be a decent archer that's loads of fun to play.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I want to make my archer primarily a Fighter, I think.

The only thing keeping me from going mono-class Fighter is my brain telling me "well, since you'll be wearing light armor anyway, why not start as a Rogue? You'll get more skills! You'll do a bit more damage"

Then it becomes, "well, at level 2, you'll be able to disengage. But if you take two, why not take 3 and get more sneak damage" Then I get "why not go up to 4 and get another feat?"

LOL, my brain is weird.

Now I'm considering Rogue 1, Fighter 3 (battle master), Rogue X. But I get a feat at Fighter 4... :p

Athinar

Explorer
I went with Halfling Rogue 1st, then 1 level Fighter Archery +2 Ranged, then 1 level of Wizard (Mage Armor and True Strike) to reduce the weight, then the rest Rogue Assassin
depends on starting Dex, I will take Stat increase Dex, then Sharpshooter and then finish off with Alert

to get Advantage with the bow- Sneak using the Halfling ability to hide behind others, corners, bushes, or even go naked with the Bow and Arrows and use the Warlocks Imp to fly with the Halfling invisible (naked to help with the carrying capacity of the Imps) J Crawford in a tweet said that is okay
Halfling shoots and then the Imp goes invisible while carrying the Halfling, anything the Imp carries goes invisible

The last Perk for assassin is at 17th level and the only perk you miss is the Stroke of Luck, but remember the Luck of the Halfling

Stroke of Luck - you hit what you missed or save when you fail - one time during between short or long rests

so with surprise at 20th level - 18th level Assassin 18d6 sneak, 2d6 arrow +3, bow +3 and 12d6 failed save for Purple Worm poison and with a failed save all that is doubled for Death Strike, Could add more damage with the Bracers of Archery +2 damage

Last edited:

XMorsX

First Post
Start with 2 levels of fighter so that you get proficiency in constitution saves and action surge. Continue with 3 levels of assassin so that you get the automatic crit in surprise round. Take crossbow expert and use dual hand crossbows. Start as a half-elf that has darkvision. Now you have a powerful core, able to burst for lots of damage with action surge in the surprise round. After 5 lvl, continue with fighter until you get your extra atttack. I would then take 3 lvls of hunter for colossus slayer and hunter's mark and then come back to fighter until I get my extra attack at fighter lvl 11.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Well, it partly depends on how your group interprets the relevant rules.

Mostly the benefit comes down to getting an extra attack, which is always handy.

Some folks rule that you can use dual handbows simultaenously
Some folks rule that you can take all of the shots with the same handbow.
Some folks rule that you can take all of the shots with the same handbow, and benefit from a shield in the other hand.

Then add in how you can now be 5' from a bad guy, and still shoot just fine.
Velveeta baby!

jpbogossian

First Post
If you want to optimize the damage, go straight Ranger. Pure Fighter does more damage at level 20, but before that the Ranger is king, and people rarely play level 20 games anyway.

If you are alright with dealing less damage but having more utility and eventually casting wish go Bard and grab Ranger spells to improve your archery.

Rogue Assassin is good if you can consistently get the surprise round from stealth, but I wouldn't go beyond 3 Rogue levels since the auto crits are what make the most difference damage-wise and you don't want to lose Swift Quiver from Ranger 17.

Last edited:

Remove ads