By Crom! Modiphius is Making a New CONAN RPG

Modiphius Entertainment will be producing the newest Conan roleplaying game. Titled Robert E. Howard’s CONAN Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of, the game is planned for an August 2015 launch, and will focus on Howard's original stories using the 2d20 game system, the cinematic roleplaying rules devised by Jay Little (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire) for Mutant Chronicles. "Modiphius is already working on the roleplaying corebook for Robert E. Howard’s CONAN Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of to be released this Fall. A Kickstarter is planned for the summer to fund a larger range of roleplaying supplements, campaigns, and accessories to follow the core book."

_1423314403.png

They've got quite a team assembled: Timothy Brown (designer of the Dark Sun setting), Robert E. Howard scholar and essayist Jeffrey Shanks, Jason Durall (Basic Roleplaying, Serenity, The Laundry), and Chris Lites (Paizo, Savage Worlds, Omni, Slate). Shanks, the HOward cholar, will approve all material and ensure it remains true to the spirit of the original texts. This is, of course, not Conan's first outing as an RPG. There were Conan D&D adventures in the 1980s (when the Schwarzenengger movies were very popular), and a Conan RPG by TSR in 1985; there's been a GURPS Conan, and Mongoose Publishing's successful Conan RPG line with numerous editions and supplements. Conan first appeared in the pulp fiction magazine Weird Tales in 1932.

More info here.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrm1138

Explorer
I'm very interested, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the 2d20 system. I've skimmed through the beta rules for Mutant Chronicles 3rd edition, and it sounds like it could be a nifty spin on the d20 system. Unfortunately, it's tough to know without playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm very. interested, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the 2d20 system. I've skimmed through the beta rules for Mutant Chronicles 3rd edition, and it sounds like it could be a nifty spin on the d20 system. Unfortunately, it's tough to know without playing.
For those of us not in-the-know, can you give a brief description of what makes the 2d20 system any different from ye olde d20 system?

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm very. interested, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the 2d20 system. I've skimmed through the beta rules for Mutant Chronicles 3rd edition, and it sounds like it could be a nifty spin on the d20 system. Unfortunately, it's tough to know without playing.

For those of us not in-the-know, can you give a brief description of what makes the 2d20 system any different from ye olde d20 system?

I've read through the MC3e quick start and really liked what I see. First, you roll 2d20 and try to get at least one die rolled UNDER the TN which is generally your ability score. If you have ranks in expertise in the skill, you increase the TN by those ranks. You also have "focus" in the skill. Every time a dice comes up with your focus or less, you get an additional success. So say you have an ability of 12, an expertise of 3 and a focus of 2. You roll a 1 and a 12. You get two successes for both rolling under the TN of 15 AND 1 additional success because the 1 is under your focus of 2 (counts both 1's and 2's).

It's seems like a nifty self limiting mechanic where the numbers don't need to get wonky for a breadth of options. Also, the 2d20 gives you a curve but instead of adding, you are rolling a mini dice pool. It's actually quite genius. It looks like a lot of fun to play, really quick resolution but with some options in that one simple roll.

mrm1138

Explorer

From what I gathered from my skimming, you generally roll 2d20 for a skill check and try to roll equal to or less than a target number on one or both dice. If you roll equal to or less than the target number on only one die, it's a success. If you roll equal or less on one die but a natural 20 on the other, you succeed with a complication. If you roll above the target number with at least one natural 20, it's a critical failure.

You can also earn points that can be spent to add additional d20 to the roll. This also increased your ability to earn momentum. Momentum is earned when you achieve more successes than are required for the roll. (Certain skill checks may require two successes, meaning you'd have to roll equal to or less than the target number on both d20.) If a check has a difficulty of 1, and you roll 2 successes, you earn 1 momentum, which you can spend to improve the quality of your success.

Obviously, there's more to it than that, but those seem to be the basics.

So you want to roll low on the d20, and a natural 20 is a failure? That sounds kind of like a percentile system, using a d20 in place of d% because nobody needs finer than 5% granularity.

Then you have the second die, which does interesting things to the probability curve.

It might be worth checking out. Thanks!

mrm1138

Explorer
So you want to roll low on the d20, and a natural 20 is a failure?

A natural 20 is only a failure if the other die is above the target number. If you roll equal to or less than the TN but also roll a nat 20, it's considered a success with a complication.

JeffB

Legend
Looking forward to this. But those dice mechanics seem awful fiddly. Then again I find FF's Star Wars fiddly too.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases