D&D 5E Dropping Flyers Cheese

KarinsDad

Adventurer
All my Dragons get misty step, freedom of movement, true sight, etc (variant spell caster rule). Too easy to cheese otherwise.

I just double the optional "spells based on CHA rule" to give them the magical feel. I then give them a series of spells based on the type of dragon (not necessarily the best spells like Shield, etc.). So far, I haven't seen enough cheese in this thread to warrant specific spells.

Edit: Oops. Featherfall for the win.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I gave the ranger in my game a homemade bow of web (think wand of web, but works through the arrows it fires). The ranger also has the sharpshooter feat. I have had to make all dragons in my game the spellcaster variant with the Featherfall spell.

Mental note: give all Dragons the Featherfall spell. Seriously. What dragon who could cast would NOT have that spell? :cool::cool::cool:

DaveDash

Explorer
I just double the optional "spells based on CHA rule" to give them the magical feel. I then give them a series of spells based on the type of dragon (not necessarily the best spells like Shield, etc.). So far, I haven't seen enough cheese in this thread to warrant specific spells.

Edit: Oops. Featherfall for the win.

When your players start throwing around Forcecage, you'll want something like Misty Step and/or counter spell. Unless you want to rule that a Dragon won't fit into a Force Cage based on ThoM instead of grid sizes.

Dragons also can't see into the Ethereal Plane, so you might run into issues with players using the Etherealness spell to buff up, or at least, scout through the Dragons lair, hence True Sight. Bard casts Etherealness on himself (he can move in any direction), pops out and then Otto's Irresistible Dance's the Dragon. It's basically screwed for a round.

Freedom of Movement is so they can't be easily grappled and pulled to the ground using Bigby's Hand, which due to its +8 strength check, is quite achievable. It also counters most effects that will entangle/snare/whatever them and put them down. A Dragon on the ground = dead Dragon.

Dragon's out to hunt should have these spells active (they do not require concentration and last an hour), and Dragons in their lairs should have some sort of warning system that reaches into the ethereal plane allowing them to buff up and get ready.

EvanNave55

Explorer
In one fight ( I don't remember if this was 3.5 or if we'd switched to PF already) we caught a dragon in a moathouse, I tried to convince the DM that I could cast web on it and it would adhere to it's wings (at the time it was hovering in air make a dust cloud to blind us then attacking when we were blind) eventually he relented but I believe it made it's save (kinda wonder if he fudged the dice there). Fortunately we still killed it without player deaths but that particular party disbanded shortly after (people wanted to create new characters).

DaveDash

Explorer
In one fight ( I don't remember if this was 3.5 or if we'd switched to PF already) we caught a dragon in a moathouse, I tried to convince the DM that I could cast web on it and it would adhere to it's wings (at the time it was hovering in air make a dust cloud to blind us then attacking when we were blind) eventually he relented but I believe it made it's save (kinda wonder if he fudged the dice there). Fortunately we still killed it without player deaths but that particular party disbanded shortly after (people wanted to create new characters).

Sounds like 3e Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Was it a youngish Dragon?

EvanNave55

Explorer
Sounds like 3e Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Was it a youngish Dragon?

Yep, you got it. So far I've started that campaign three different times.
One was with my longest lived character and inspiration for many names of characters since, Zeldor an elven 9th level sorc, 1st level cleric (a mistake) that made it maybe half way through (not certain). I also played a single session with another group, don't remember what I played but the rogue used a rope and grappling hook to climb the flying dragon. My current active campaign is an Aasimar 5th level Sorcerer 2nd level Dragon Disciple (PF).

Dragon's out to hunt should have these spells active (they do not require concentration and last an hour), and Dragons in their lairs should have some sort of warning system that reaches into the ethereal plane allowing them to buff up and get ready.

Smaug says: Is that a dragon you speak of, or a mouse? [insert sneer] Grabbing a quick bite to eat, under heavy defenses, before scurrying back to your hole? In my day, we dealt with the problem by killing all the humans before they grew old enough to be a threat, then reveled in our freedom.

DaveDash

Explorer
Smaug says: Is that a dragon you speak of, or a mouse? [insert sneer] Grabbing a quick bite to eat, under heavy defenses, before scurrying back to your hole? In my day, we dealt with the problem by killing all the humans before they grew old enough to be a threat, then reveled in our freedom.

Well, fortunately for Smaug one of the more powerful spell casters in his world could only cast cantrips! ;)

Seriously, though, this thread is making me think that the best and most sensible way to make dragons "deserve" their reputation is for them to proactively seek out threats (PCs) and deal with them on their own terms... preferably long before the party's average level catches up to the dragon's CR.

Remove ads