D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Aquatic Creature Fun" Thread (Retired)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
ok, everyone is a little disappointed that mind flayers are out of the SRD so I figured I'd design something similar. Now, the Kraken Lord is designed off the kraken from the Monster Manual and I did not reference the mind flayer entry at all during its creation.

Note: Need opinions on what its Challenge Rating should be!

{EDIT} Fixed skills and added section on characters.

{RE-EDIT} Reduced reach with tentacles

So without further ado...

Kraken Lord
Huge Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)

Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 20ft.
AC: 17 (+1 Dex, -2 size, +8 natural)
Attacks: 2 tentacle-rakes +14 melee and 6 tentacle arms +12 melee; or 2 claws +14 melee and bite +12 melee; or huge trident +14/+9 melee
Damage: 2 tentacle-rakes 1d6+8 and 6 tentacle arms 1d6+4; 2 claws 1d8+8 and bite 1d8+4; or huge trident 2d8+8
Face/Reach: 15ft./15ft. (30 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 2d6+8 or 1d4+4
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., ink cloud, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +7
Abilities: Str 26 (+8), Dex 13 (+1), Con 14 (+2), Int 25 (+7), Wis 23 (+6), Cha 10 (+0)
Skills: Concentration +16, Craft (alchemy) +11, Knowledge (Geography) +12, Knowledge (nature) +12, Listen +16, Search +17, Spot +16.
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Expertise, Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Iron Will, Multiattack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (dominate animal)

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic or underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: By character class

A kraken lord is an aggressive, cruel, intelligent creature related to krakens. Some believe they are the next step in a kraken’s evolutionary process. Though while not as large or strong as a kraken they are more intelligent and, thus, more dangerous. Kraken lords breathe both air and water normally.

Kraken lords are most often found thousands of feet below the ocean but are becoming more common at shallower depths and underground environments. They love to flood Underdark caverns and cities near the ocean, allowing them to move in a take over. Once in these positions, it is almost impossible to rid a region of a kraken lord, as it tends to align with aboleths, kuo-toas, and sahuagin. Strangely, kraken lords don’t associate with krakens and will have one hunted down and killed if it wanders into its domain.

Kraken lords have the head of a kraken, along with its telltale tentacle appendages and a large beak on the front of their necks. They stand upright on two legs and also have two arms. A kraken lord’s four humanoid limbs end in four webbed digits with one of those digits opposable. A kraken lord’s eight tentacles are similar to a kraken’s and nearly as deadly. Six of the creature’s tentacles are 15 feet long; the remaining two are 30 feet long and covered with cruel barbs. From looking at a kraken lord, one would lead to believe that they would have trouble walking but the truth is that their powerful bodies are well muscled and they have no trouble walking on dry land or using their tentacles to attack while on land.

Kraken lords speak Common and Aquan.

Combat
Kraken lords strike out with their barbed tentacles, then grab and crush with their tentacle arms or drag victims towards them and bite with their large beak. If a kraken lord is unable to grab and crush its opponents with its tentacles then it will attack with either its huge trident or use on of its Dominate Animal spell-like ability to bring in aquatic animals to fight for it. If hard pressed it will use its ink cloud to obscure its opponent’s ability to fight and locate the kraken lord, so that may attempt to flee. Unlike a kraken, a kraken lord cannot jet backwards to escape.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the kraken lord must hit an opponent of up to Large size with a tentacle-rake or tentacle arm attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A kraken deals automatic tentacle arm or tentacle-rake damage with a successful grapple check against Large or smaller creatures.

Ink Cloud (Ex): A kraken lord can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 40 feet high by 40 feet wide by 80 feet long once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the kraken lord normally uses to escape a losing fight. Creatures within the cloud suffer the effects of total darkness. A kraken lord cannot use this ability while out of the water.

Spell-like Abilities: 1/day – control weather, control winds, dominate animal and resist elements. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 11th – level druid (save DC 16 + spell level).

Kraken Lord Characters
Kraken lords sometimes become fighters, clerics or wizards, but their favored class is druid. Kraken lords tend to multiclass including fighter/druid, fighter/cleric, fighter/wizard, cleric/wizard or druid wizard. Very rarely will a kraken lord have levels in barbarian or sorcerer and only those with the most disciplined minds may become psions. Kraken lords never take levels in rouge or bard, thinking it beneath them.

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Looking over it now, but you might want to change the line 'thousands of miles' in the fluff text, I don't think water would go much deeper than a few miles.

EDIT: I'd give it a CR of 11, 1 lower than a true Kraken.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wippit Guud said:
Looking over it now, but you might want to change the line 'thousands of miles' in the fluff text, I don't think water would go much deeper than a few miles.

EDIT: I'd give it a CR of 11, 1 lower than a true Kraken.

Whoops, that should say feet, not miles. :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This thread has been renamed and I'm planning on using it to aquatize several creatures using the Aquatic Template, which was accidentally left out of Savage Species.

Of course, if other interesting monsters of the deep come to mind then I'll stat 'em out and post 'em as well.

Later,

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A variant gargoyle using the aquatic template!

Note this creature was modified using the Savage Species Aquatic Template, but breaks the rules for which type of creature you can apply the template to. (Rules, what rules?) :D

I think the CR needs to be higher. Opinions?

=====================
Gargoyle, Sea
Medium-size Magical Beast (Aquatic, Earth)
Hit Dice: 4d10+20 (42 hp)
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 45 ft., swim 75 ft.
AC: 20 (+4 Dex, +6 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +8 melee, bite +4 melee, gore +4 melee
Damage: Claw 1d4, bite 1d6, gore 1d6
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/+1, darkvision 60ft., freeze, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11 (+0), Dex 18 (+4), Con 20 (+5), Int 7 (-2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 7 (-2)
Skills: Hide +5 *, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +10.
Feats: Improved Scent (SS), Weapon Finesse (claws)

Climate/Terrain: Any ocean or sea and coast
Organization: Solitary, pair, or group (5-16)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium-size); 7-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +7

Sea gargoyles are a rare creature, which while related to normal gargoyles, have their own groups and territories. Sea gargoyles are more closely related to kapoacinths, another type of marine gargoyle, although they cannot fly like the kapoacinths, even though they have wings. Regardless of these differences, sea gargoyles are just as cruel and dangerous as other gargoyles.

Sea gargoyles are similar in appearance to other gargoyles in that they look like winged, stone statues. The main difference is that sea gargoyles are deep blue to sea green in color and have webbing in between their clawed toes and fingers. While they don’t require food, they are fond of fish of all sorts, including intelligent aquatic races such as merfolk, sea elves, kuo-toa, and locathah. Sea gargoyles are most often encountered near old, stone lighthouses and ruined sea towns and cities, as well as swimming in deep water. Sea gargoyles often work with sahuagin and other evil sea dwellers. Sea gargoyles speak Aquan and Terran.

Combat
Sea gargoyles remain still, then suddenly attack their foes. Sea gargoyles often attack small ships from the water, using the water’s coloring to hide their presence until they are close enough to climb the hull of the ship or hole it with their wicked claws, depending on ships size.

Freeze (Ex): A sea gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed at a Spot check (DC 20) to notice the sea gargoyle is really alive.

Improved Scent (Ex): Sea gargoyles can detect approaching enemies and sniff out hidden foes within 60 feet.

Skills: Sea gargoyles receive a +8 racial bonus to swim checks. *Sea gargoyles receive a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks when concealed against a background of worked stone or while under water against a background of coral.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Are we in the peanut gallery allowed to submit? I'm going to be gone for a while, so don't expect it soon, but I've been working on something for my pseudoprehistoric no-mammals campaign that's in this thread's vein.

Demiurge out.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
demiurge1138 said:
Are we in the peanut gallery allowed to submit? I'm going to be gone for a while, so don't expect it soon, but I've been working on something for my pseudoprehistoric no-mammals campaign that's in this thread's vein.

Demiurge out.

Don't let the head stop you from submitting aquatic monsters/critters/humanoids to this thread. I simply put "Knightfall's" so that it's easier for me to find the thread.

So go ahead and post, just keep it aquatic related.

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Steam Dwarf (Aquatic Azer)
Medium-Size Outsider (Aquatic, Fire, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 23 (+3 Dex, +8 natural, +2 large shield)
Attacks: Trident +3 melee; or halfspear +5 ranged
Damage: Trident 1d8+1 and 1 fire; or halfspear 1d6+1 and 1 fire
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Heat
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, SR 13, fire subtype
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 17 (+3), Con 15 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 9 (-1)
Skills: Climb +2, Craft (any one) +6, Hide +1, Listen +5, Search +4, Spot +6, Swim +9
Feats: Power Attack

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, team (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods (nonflammables only); standard items (nonflammables only)
Alignment: Always lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +6

Steam dwarves are a subrace of azer that have migrated to the Elemental Plane of Water. How and why these elemental dwarves came to live on the plane is a mystery. Some believe that these outsiders are actually from an alternate elemental plane.

Steam dwarves look exactly like the azer except for a slight green tint to their bodies and steam billowing out from their head where a normal dwarf’s hair and beard would be. If exposed to air their heads flare into flame for a moment but otherwise stays the same.

Steam dwarves dress in loose-fitting, heat-resistant kilts of cloth and kelp.

Steam dwarves speak Aquan, Ignan and Common.

Combat
Steam dwarves use broad-headed spears or well-crafted tridents in combat. When unarmed, they attempt to grapple foes. They wear no armor, for their tough skin provides ample protection.

Heat (Ex): A steam dwarf’s body is intensely hot, radiating steam, so his or her unarmed attacks deal additional fire damage. A steam dwarf’s metallic weap-ons also conduct this heat.

Fire Subtype (Ex): Fire immunity, double damage from cold except on a successful save.

Skills: Steam dwarves gain a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Steam Dwarf Characters
Steam dwarves favor the fighter class.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases