First Ever GAMES WORKSHOP Store Is Being Demolished

The first ever Games Workshop store is to be demolished. Located in Hammersmith, in west London, the store was opened in April 1978. It's not currently a Games Workshop store; the building is occupied by a translation business. When it was opened, nearly 40 years ago, people lined up in the street. Games Workshop was created in 1975 in Nottingham by John Peake, Ian Livingstone, and Steve Jackson, all of whom had left the company by the 1990s. It is the publisher of games like Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K. No word yet on whether it's being demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.

The first ever Games Workshop store is to be demolished. Located in Hammersmith, in west London, the store was opened in April 1978. It's not currently a Games Workshop store; the building is occupied by a translation business. When it was opened, nearly 40 years ago, people lined up in the street. Games Workshop was created in 1975 in Nottingham by John Peake, Ian Livingstone, and Steve Jackson, all of whom had left the company by the 1990s. It is the publisher of games like Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K. No word yet on whether it's being demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.
Actually, the current tenants of the building indicate that it is being demolished to make way for residential flats.

B9pJZ7jIQAE-TUo.jpg

Opening Day in 1978

B9pfc8CCMAI3Xvu.jpg

today.jpg

The building today

Henrix

Explorer
Damn! I used to walk past it on my way to work every day in the late 80's/early 90's. Another part of my London past being demolished :(

I thought they left it sometime in the mid 80's (when they changed the address in White Dwarf), or I would have been there at least a few more times.

Last edited by a moderator:

nerfherder

Explorer
I thought they left it sometime in the mid 80's (when they changed the address in White Dwarf), or I would have been there at least a few more times.

IIRC, they had a place somewhere else in London first, then moved to 1 Dalling Road in Hammersmith (which is the shop in the article). I worked in Hammersmith till 1990 or '91, and I could have sworn that it was still there when I left London.

Zander

Explorer
I have many happy memories from the early to late 1980s of GW on Dalling Road. I even got to go upstairs once which wasn't normally open to the public. I'm sorry that the building is being demolished.

You can see the inside of the shop in its heyday in a mid-1980s episode of South of Watford hosted by Ben Elton. It's on Youtube in three parts. Here's the link to Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItRW9uXfIQ

MonsterMash

First Post
That brings back memories of going over there and buying stuff when even Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson would still be serving on the counter in the early 80s.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads