New Cooperative D&D Video Game Allows a DM To Run The Adventure

An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons video game based on the new D&D 5th Edition rules will allow groups of up to four players to cooperate in online games run by a real human Dungeon Master. Called Sword Coast Legends, it's coming this year, and is being developed by n-Space and Digital Extremes. It sounds very much like a game partly inspired by the Neverwinter Nights video games.

Developer Dan Tudge mentions the setting. "You can certainly expect to visit iconic locations along the Sword Coast and you may even run into a few familiar faces along the way." He also goes on to talk about how the game actually works: "Dungeon Master Mode is going to allow players to quickly jump in and play as a real-time DM in a way that has never really been fully realized in a video game. DMs are able to adjust encounters, place, promote, manage and even control monsters, set traps, reward and punish party members – all in real time"

Not only that, but a Campaign Mode allows for much larger storylines, and a Single Player mode allows one player to lead a groups of adventurers recruited within the game.

It almost sounds like the ultimate in virtual tabletops, although it's not clear what worldbuilding tools or custom content can be included.

Tudge talks about the inspiration behind the game. "When I directed Dragon Age: Origins the mission was to create the ‘spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate’ and I think players really felt like Origins achieved that. With Sword Coast Legends we are also continuing the legacy of the Baldur’s Gate series so you will see strong influences from not only those games, but from Dragon Age: Origins as well. You will definitely feel the influence in the tactical party-based combat, pause and play and character progression, but it’s the rich story and memorable characters where the influence is strongest."

[video=youtube;jZmyUfDP1no]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no[/video]

SCREEN_SCL_021015_011.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_018.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_017.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_020.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_008.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds like it's coming soon. Yikes. They must be barrelling through development.

I guess an overhead game like that where you don't really zoom in can go a little easier on the graphics. And you don't need as much detail on the particle effects and such.

They've been working on it for two years, apparently, basically through the whole playtest of the tabletop game.

Sounds like a refinement of Neverwinter Nights: traditional single player mode, and DM run multiplayer, sweet.

Ed Greenwood has likely been collaborating on this, too..

I like that this announcement comes merely two days after whatshistroll was trying to blow up the 5E forums with complaints that WotC was trying to scuttle the brand by not licensing any content.*

*Note: paraphrased liberally.

Halivar

First Post
I like that this announcement comes merely two days after whatshistroll was trying to blow up the 5E forums with complaints that WotC was trying to scuttle the brand by not licensing any content.*
Don't worry. We'll soon have our resident naysayers here to explain to us why this is further proof that the game is doomed. DOOOOOOOMED, I SAY! :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They've been working on it for two years, apparently, basically through the whole playtest of the tabletop game.

Sounds like a refinement of Neverwinter Nights: traditional single player mode, and DM run multiplayer, sweet.

Just add in a tile-based building mode and some simple scripting and I'm in!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Naysaying? We already have some in this thread.

Mearls has been saying for a while "we have all this great stuff coming, just wait". Glad to see there is actually something.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
All I have to say to you fans is good luck and keep your expectations realistic.

I do hope they change the title, though. Nothing says throwaway spinoff like "Blah Blah Blah Legends."

Agamon

Adventurer
I have some, "fool me once with NWN, shame on me, fool me twice with this, shame on you," scepticism. But the Baldur's Gate and DA:O comparisons, and no scripting necessary brings me a little cautious optimism.

Never heard of the companies that are working on it, but hey, it's not Obsidian. :p

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
We're fighting terror, Agamon.

I didn't see a lot of (any?) non-combat in that trailer, but if I can easily script my NPCs to eat breakfast, get drunk at the inn, and stumble back home at 3PM, I'm in.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
That looks awesome. I would love to see this in a turn-based version, but I suspect it will be RTwP. I'll settle for that.
In the video, the player pauses during combat and re-orients the view. Hopefully that means you'll be able to pause it while playing.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases