New Cooperative D&D Video Game Allows a DM To Run The Adventure

An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons video game based on the new D&D 5th Edition rules will allow groups of up to four players to cooperate in online games run by a real human Dungeon Master. Called Sword Coast Legends, it's coming this year, and is being developed by n-Space and Digital Extremes. It sounds very much like a game partly inspired by the Neverwinter Nights video games.

An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons video game based on the new D&D 5th Edition rules will allow groups of up to four players to cooperate in online games run by a real human Dungeon Master. Called Sword Coast Legends, it's coming this year, and is being developed by n-Space and Digital Extremes. It sounds very much like a game partly inspired by the Neverwinter Nights video games.

Developer Dan Tudge mentions the setting. "You can certainly expect to visit iconic locations along the Sword Coast and you may even run into a few familiar faces along the way." He also goes on to talk about how the game actually works: "Dungeon Master Mode is going to allow players to quickly jump in and play as a real-time DM in a way that has never really been fully realized in a video game. DMs are able to adjust encounters, place, promote, manage and even control monsters, set traps, reward and punish party members – all in real time"

Not only that, but a Campaign Mode allows for much larger storylines, and a Single Player mode allows one player to lead a groups of adventurers recruited within the game.

It almost sounds like the ultimate in virtual tabletops, although it's not clear what worldbuilding tools or custom content can be included.

Tudge talks about the inspiration behind the game. "When I directed Dragon Age: Origins the mission was to create the ‘spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate’ and I think players really felt like Origins achieved that. With Sword Coast Legends we are also continuing the legacy of the Baldur’s Gate series so you will see strong influences from not only those games, but from Dragon Age: Origins as well. You will definitely feel the influence in the tactical party-based combat, pause and play and character progression, but it’s the rich story and memorable characters where the influence is strongest."

[video=youtube;jZmyUfDP1no]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no[/video]

SCREEN_SCL_021015_011.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_018.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_017.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_020.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_008.jpg

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In multiplayer, that would be horrible. Anybody able to pause it at any time?

Maybe the DM can pause it.
Heh. Good point.

Well, as I always say "Something is better than nothing." The existence of this game makes me feel a little more optimistic about the future of D&D.

ronaldsf

Explorer
Let's obsess about the screenshots now, shall we? :)

I'm most intrigued by the buttons on the bottom of the screen. They both seem to be spellcasters, but the interface reminds me of the "cool down" buttons prevalent in Diablo 3, Dragon Age, etc. I wonder how that squares with D&D 5e's semi-Vancian magic?

And the healing potion hotkeys? That suggests more of an action game to me -- press the Healing hotkey before you run out of health!!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I want an updated, modernized version of FRUA with overhead tokens, hex or square tiled movement, turn-based, with plenty of tools for modders so we can have them recreate older modules in computerized game format. Please let me know when one of you will do a kickstarter for it. :)

ronaldsf

Explorer
Your Google Fu is strong.... You may need to work on your reading the top post fu... :)

Well I did read that he "directed" it... :) . I figured it was useful to nail down the exact title to make sure it wasn't misleading. One would think they'd front-load that info more in the text, given that game's overall good reputation.

Going to need to know a lot more before I get hyped, but really has potential for two reasons (beyond the visuals/UI looking pretty solid):

1) n-Space and Digital Extremes both make solid games.

2) It sounds like with the limited races/classes, no mention of Feats, etc., that they are maybe keeping their ambition in check.

My main worries are:

A) Plot/story of single-player - and atmosphere in general. No idea if they'll nail it. Could do, could be totally off. Games have been all over the place here.

B) Gameplay - it will undoubtedly be different to stock 5E, hopefully it's really good. Hopefully tons of interaction potential beyond combat, but we'll see.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Hell, it's about time!

And, might I add, the video looks quite cool. I would be really glad if they can pull another NWN-like game.

Los of promising CRPGs comming this year!

Remove ads

Remove ads