New Cooperative D&D Video Game Allows a DM To Run The Adventure

An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons video game based on the new D&D 5th Edition rules will allow groups of up to four players to cooperate in online games run by a real human Dungeon Master. Called Sword Coast Legends, it's coming this year, and is being developed by n-Space and Digital Extremes. It sounds very much like a game partly inspired by the Neverwinter Nights video games.

Developer Dan Tudge mentions the setting. "You can certainly expect to visit iconic locations along the Sword Coast and you may even run into a few familiar faces along the way." He also goes on to talk about how the game actually works: "Dungeon Master Mode is going to allow players to quickly jump in and play as a real-time DM in a way that has never really been fully realized in a video game. DMs are able to adjust encounters, place, promote, manage and even control monsters, set traps, reward and punish party members – all in real time"

Not only that, but a Campaign Mode allows for much larger storylines, and a Single Player mode allows one player to lead a groups of adventurers recruited within the game.

It almost sounds like the ultimate in virtual tabletops, although it's not clear what worldbuilding tools or custom content can be included.

Tudge talks about the inspiration behind the game. "When I directed Dragon Age: Origins the mission was to create the ‘spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate’ and I think players really felt like Origins achieved that. With Sword Coast Legends we are also continuing the legacy of the Baldur’s Gate series so you will see strong influences from not only those games, but from Dragon Age: Origins as well. You will definitely feel the influence in the tactical party-based combat, pause and play and character progression, but it’s the rich story and memorable characters where the influence is strongest."

[video=youtube;jZmyUfDP1no]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no[/video]

SCREEN_SCL_021015_011.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_018.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_017.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_020.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_008.jpg

mcbobbo

Explorer
I'm not seeing a lot about ongoing monetization, but I'm guessing the following will be available as DLC:

Races
Classes
Creatures
Map Packs
Adventures

...all that sort of thing.

Big question here is - how much, and in what format? For example, $5 for a map pack I can see doing. $50 for a map pack would cause me to avoid the entire purchase. As would $1.99 per additional race.

I'm tempted to pre-order the campaign pack, but have serious doubts as to whether I'd use what they're providing more than once or twice.

Gecko85

Explorer
Very excited for this. BG1 and 2 are my favorite PC (and now iPad) adventure games, with NWN trailing slightly behind. This looks like a nice update to those, and DM mode sounds promising.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Looks like a great video game, and lots of fun! Diablo with a D&D twist. And quite a lot of what the Diablo update could have provided, but didn't (oh the lost opportunity, but I digress).

It doesn't scream D&D to me. I suspect that combat actions are D&D flavored, but that the combat engine otherwise strays quite far. Not that that's a bad thing; real-time games are just different than turn based games. IOS Warhammer seems closer to approximating D&D turn based combat.

And, I wonder how tied to 5E it ends up being. I'm thinking you could tie the game engine to any of the editions.

Gecko85

Explorer
Did you see the graphic on the official website for the game?: https://swordcoast.com/

There's a mock-box titled "Lost Mines Dungeon Tile Set". I really hope that means the possibility of running LMoP in this game system. That would be sweet.

Nebulous

Legend
This looks amazing. If it actually incorporates the kind of tinkering and tailoring that we want, it would be the end all of VTT games. Worst case scenario, it's just a good single player game, but i think they're pushing for something far more ambitious

Nebulous

Legend
I mean, this is really, REALLY awesome. This would mean anyone could play anywhere in the world with their friends with a far more advanced system than any current virtual tabletop game.

Derren

Hero
Looks more like a cooperative Diablo than a RPG like Baldurs Gate. For a 2015 release the game must be quite advanced, yet there was nothing indicating possible NPC interactions. Also the UI with the map and mission focus reminds me more of Diablo style games. The developer also has never done any RPG before, but did a Skylander expansion.
I think [MENTION=13107]tomBitonti[/MENTION] has the right idea. A 4 player action rpg with D&D names and graphics.

DM mode has been tried by Neverwinter Nights. But from the trailer and art style it doesn't look like the DM mode will be as powerful as in that game. Modifying maps likely won't be possible. Only monster placement, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I am admittedly not the target audience for this because I've never been able to enjoy this style of CRPG, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt or five, but I'm concerned that the Digital Deluxe Edition apparently comes with the use of the beholder in dungeon master mode.

...What other big name monsters wouldn't I have access to until I (presumably) paid for them, individually or in booster packs? Tilesets, fine. If I want to play interior decorator, I don't mind paying extra for that. But if I'm not getting a big, usable chunk of the Monster Manual at launch I don't really understand what I'm paying for as a dungeon master consumer. Encounter design is literally the whole game.

I'm kind of amused that the Digital Deluxe Edition also apparently includes "Armor and Weapons," while the basic game does not. I'm sure that doesn't mean what it sounds like.

...Okay, I'm /pretty sure/ that doesn't mean what it sounds like. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am admittedly not the target audience for this because I've never been able to enjoy this style of CRPG, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt or five, but I'm concerned that the Digital Deluxe Edition apparently comes with the use of the beholder in dungeon master mode.

...What other big name monsters wouldn't I have access to until I (presumably) paid for them, individually or in booster packs? Tilesets, fine. If I want to play interior decorator, I don't mind paying extra for that. But if I'm not getting a big, usable chunk of the Monster Manual at launch I don't really understand what I'm paying for as a dungeon master consumer. Encounter design is literally the whole game.

I'm kind of amused that the Digital Deluxe Edition also apparently includes "Armor and Weapons," while the basic game does not. I'm sure that doesn't mean what it sounds like.

...Okay, I'm /pretty sure/ that doesn't mean what it sounds like. :)

These days, this would be normal operating procedure. Just look at the DLC Paradox has tied to Crusader Kings 2 sometime! :-o

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases