Homebrewed Warforged for 5th Edition

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
A lot of neat ideas. I'd like to hear from someone who's playtested the options. Maybe a whole party of warforged, with each taking a different composite plating and class.

BigVanVader

First Post
Wait, is his 'Natural Weapon' one of his armor options? Or do all Warforgeds get that?

Also, I like the Ironwood armor, I've always wanted to play a Warforged Druid and play him like Swamp Thing. So that he's just this organic thing that grew out in the forest. That would be awesome.

All Warforged get Natural Weapons, but when they select Adamantine Composite Plating, their Slam is considered to deal damage as though it were made of Adamantine, allowing it to overcome certain damage resistances and immunities, but that's all.

Sadrik

First Post
Perhaps rewrite and edit above each armored plating to include the type of weapon that they include.
For instance adamantine might inflict 1d4 bludgeoning adamantine damage (heavy fists). Ironwood might inflict 1d4 piercing (wood spike). etc. Retractable blade, axe head etc. you could make the unarmored one have a better attack to balance it too.

While that is an interesting recommendation, it's not really fitting. They possess a slam, which, by definition, only deals Bludgeoning. I just figured the Adamantine Plating on their fists was a nice little buff, considering how difficult it is to plate weaponry. If you look back into 3.5, when Warforged were first created, they always only had a Slam, but they had the option to purchase items called "Components". Objects that could be attached or embedded into their bodies for their use. Warforged could remodel their bodies as they saw fit as well, allowing female personality Warforged to actually appear feminine, should they so choose and allow them to replace portions of their anatomy if they so desired. One such Component was an Armblade, a sword attached to a metal ring that could latch onto the wrist to function as a blade, but also allow use of the hand in combat. They were expensive, hard to craft, and rare to come by, but very useful. Perhaps as I continue work on the race, I'll include Components, but for right now, I don't really have too much to go on. And given just how much feedback I've been getting about their natural weapon and the modification due to Adamantine Composite Plating, I may just remove the ability and make it a purchasable upgrade instead. Regardless, your recommendation has been noted, thank you for your feedback.

Yeah, I know, but there was quite a lot missing. I had this in utility for a while and I've been tweaking it quite a bit. I figured it might be worth sharing to get some feedback from others. If it's balanced, I'm going to run it in all my games in place of the Warforged that WotC released. If not, I'll keep tweaking it and hoping that when Wizards actually publishes a solid book for Eberron, it'll be better. Because, quite simply, the Eberron handout that they released, is a playtest.

Remove ads