D&D 5E How hard is it to rebase a miniature?

Uchawi

First Post
I have transferred over plastic miniatures or figures from other games to wooden bases all the time. You just need be careful and patient with the removal. I use a hand-held scraper (with singled edged razor blades). The wooden circles can be found at a craft store.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Another option is to just remove the clicky part of the base then glue the thin remaining base to a washer and use some snips to cut away the overhanging excess.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I'll make sure to not hold it in my crotch LOL

Where can I get these bases though?

I would recommend going to the hardware store and getting some fender washers and some cheap flat black spray paint. Paint the fender washers black, and use Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue them in position. The fender washers can be found at most big hardware stores in a 1/2", 1", and 2" size. The central hole is smaller with fender washers, so you have more space to work with, and the metal provides a nice weight compared to the otherwise plastic mini. The washers are less than a dollar each, the paint is less than a dollar (I am talking about the really cheap stuff), and a small container of the glue (from a craft store) is a few dollars.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
An easy way to dress up bases is to do the sand and glue/water trick I describe above, paint on some patches of grass, and then run a fat black Sharpie around the sides of the base. If you keep an old paint brush to apply the glue/water mix, then dip the base into a little container with the sand, shaking off the excess, let it dry, paint the grass on, then run the marker around it, the whole process takes moments to do (with the drying in between taking a bit, if you even want to wait for it to dry). It's a cheap and quick way to do army bases or lots of conversions without much time or money investment, and they look just fine on the game table.

Tormyr

Adventurer
An easy way to dress up bases is to do the sand and glue/water trick I describe above, paint on some patches of grass, and then run a fat black Sharpie around the sides of the base. If you keep an old paint brush to apply the glue/water mix, then dip the base into a little container with the sand, shaking off the excess, let it dry, paint the grass on, then run the marker around it, the whole process takes moments to do (with the drying in between taking a bit, if you even want to wait for it to dry). It's a cheap and quick way to do army bases or lots of conversions without much time or money investment, and they look just fine on the game table.

DM Scotty also has an easy, cheap way to do flocking, and all it requires is a pencil sacrificing itself for the cause. :)

But that sand trick sounds fantastic and not too obtrusive. I am going to try that on a few of my minis.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
DM Scotty also has an easy, cheap way to do flocking, and all it requires is a pencil sacrificing itself for the cause. :)

But that sand trick sounds fantastic and not too obtrusive. I am going to try that on a few of my minis.

DM Scotty rules! :)

And if you have a few bucks to spend up front, check in a contruction supply store for a bag of "fine" sand blasting sand (make sure it isn't the kind with other types of particles). You can get a 20 pound bag for less than ten bucks in some places and it will last you a lifetime. Last time I got one it had a tear in the top and had lost a bit of sand so they even discounted it more for me.

Tormyr

Adventurer
DM Scotty rules! :)

And if you have a few bucks to spend up front, check in a contruction supply store for a bag of "fine" sand blasting sand (make sure it isn't the kind with other types of particles). You can get a 20 pound bag for less than ten bucks in some places and it will last you a lifetime. Last time I got one it had a tear in the top and had lost a bit of sand so they even discounted it more for me.

I will probably just screen some of my kid's sand in the sand table out back. I already have bags of construction sand from work. And we have abrasive "media" in California. Sand blasting is a no-no because of silica inhalation. :)

DM Scotty's stuff is awesome. I have done a bunch of tiles, some 3D stuff when the party fought across a gorge (with tunnels at various levels), his 2.5 Next stuff and this, which my party ran into last Wednesday. :devil:

KIMG0428.JPG

It is representing an ulgurstata, but I figure that I would get more mileage out of a standard purple worm. One of the other DMs at the store liked it so much that he has commissioned a green one for his Age of Worms campaign. Seeing this reminds me that I still need to paint the walls.

Last edited:

Remove ads