How does a rogue fight the Undead?

Altalazar

First Post
How about a blessed or holy short sword? Or annoint it with holy water? Or take the necromancer who is making the undead hostage and threaten to slit his throat with your short sword unless HE eliminates the undead FOR you.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Altalazar said:
How about a blessed or holy short sword? Or annoint it with holy water? Or take the necromancer who is making the undead hostage and threaten to slit his throat with your short sword unless HE eliminates the undead FOR you.
Heh. The necromancer in question was a very high-level wizard who was using an artifact to create them and ultimately free Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead, from the Abyss. We wound up sneaking into his fortress while he was out repairing a large stone portal (which we had destroyed) and stealing away the artifact. That's where the campaign ended.

Also, I understand how some people could be satisfied by having their rogue do "rogue tasks" such as sneaking and unlocking, and not care that they were useless in combat. Myself, I did not find those activities particularly fun, to be honest. They mostly involved me having to disarm Disintegrate and Phantasmal Killer traps, while the rest of the party gave me the thumbs up from a safe distance away. I certainly built my character to be adept at rogue-type tasks, but to have more fun, personally, I wanted her to have more of a kick in combat as well. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread for people who feel the same way as I did.

In my case, the party later found a minor artifact called the Pearl of True Light that allowed any character who held it to turn undead as if they were a paladin. Since my rogue had a high charisma, she was the keeper of the Pearl, and used it well and often. :)

stevelabny

Explorer
helping the party is nice and all but this is the real way for a solo rogue to fight undead.

sneaky rogue:

1> run away from undead.
2> steal stuff and make money.
3> hire fighter types with your money to do your work for you.

or for the charismatic rogue

1> run away from undead
2> make sure all your diplomacy synergies have kicked in
2> go to local temple of good of good or the sun or undead-killing. use your +20 diplomacy to convince a cleric to do your work for you.

Remove ads